For anyone that takes A-level Chemistry (preferably, on AQA) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Leaby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
My younger sister is currently in the process of choosing her A-level subjects for next year. She is quite enthusiastic about taking humanities, but would also like to take Chemistry. I have heard mixed reports about the latter, generally negative ones. She is quite intelligent (a lot more so than myself!) but after what I've heard, I'm not sure if she should take it. At the end of the day, naturally, it's her decision, but my friend's got herself into a bit of a mess after choosing the wrong subjects (one of those included Chemistry!). Hence, I want to give her all the advice I can without sounding as though I doubt her ability.
Generally, then, for all you A-level Chemistry students, what qualities do you think a potential Chemistry student must possess; academically, and interest-wise?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leaby)
My younger sister is currently in the process of choosing her A-level subjects for next year. She is quite enthusiastic about taking humanities, but would also like to take Chemistry. I have heard mixed reports about the latter, generally negative ones. She is quite intelligent (a lot more so than myself!) but after what I've heard, I'm not sure if she should take it. At the end of the day, naturally, it's her decision, but my friend's got herself into a bit of a mess after choosing the wrong subjects (one of those included Chemistry!). Hence, I want to give her all the advice I can without sounding as though I doubt her ability.
Generally, then, for all you A-level Chemistry students, what qualities do you think a potential Chemistry student must possess; academically, and interest-wise?

Hmm, I did Edexcel rather than AQA chemistry but the syllabus can't be THAT different on different boards I guess... You need to be prepared to learn LOADS of facts. There's also a lot of understanding required because it does tend to build somewhat on what you've learnt later in the course. I found one or two concepts a little hard to get my head round, but I don't think it's that difficult, you just have to be willing work at it. I would say that doing chemistry without maths would be a bit of a challenge because it does get a little mathematical - you have to use logs sometimes. However it would be perfectly possible to learn logs on the course rather than doing maths; I know some people who have done chemistry and three humanities, and they seemed to cope OK.

As for specific qualities I'd say you need to be hardworking and dedicated, to be able to deal with all the concepts - but it sounds like your sister would be - and you need to be genuinely interested in it because it is pretty tough, as A levels go. If the AQA syllabus is anything like Edexcel, you also need to be able to tolerate loads and loads of titrations in the AS year... urrgh...
SIMZZ
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leaby)
Hi i did AQA a-level chemistry. The skills that i think one must posses; Have good practical skills, work in an effiecient way in pracical exams, be good at analysing information, have good synoptic skills (especially the last paper which is horrendous), and finally the most important thing, you must be good at maths (theres loads of calculations formulas etc)
elegantlyrotten
Report 16 years ago
yeah she should take it. im taking it at the moment, its not that difficult as long as you learn the stuff as you go along, the works not that hard but the mathematical side is slightly challenging
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am taking AS Chemestry at the moment. It all depends on the teacher and the setting. We are luck to have two decent teachers, despite having rubbish equipment. There are less practicals than you would expect, at least at first, and lots of quite tough theory. Plus you have to forget almost everything from GCSE. However, it is fun. I don't know how hardt the exams are this year, as we are taking a end of year exam, not modules, but have seen a past paper (2001 I think) and expect essay questions for section B.
Leaby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks everyone! I'll show your advice to my sister. The downside is, she's not bad at maths but is struggling in her GCSE at the moment due to an intolerant teacher. Anyway, she can decide for herself once she understands the maths she will need to grasp in the subject.
Kyrotec
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you find a subject enjoyable - it is normally a lot easier to get your head around. I am more of a humanities person, but I really enjoyed Chemistry at GCSE so decided to take it 2 as, and now a2. Certain concepts can be tricky, but nothing a few examples won't fix
I am not sure how important the teacher is- it helps to have a great teacher, but ours generally says make notes out of the txtbook .
Overall I would say it is an interesting subject - relevance for Maths mm not sure I am doing OCR and the mathematical questions are about GCSE standard as it is mainly working out what to solve in the 1st place.
GO 4 it :0
marshal
Report 16 years ago
its all pretty logical and easy....except for organic chemistry, which is more like learning a new language....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads