This discussion is closed.
wardragon82
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm sure that this has been posted many a time, but how much of a disadvantage is applying for economics at a top uni (LSE especially) WITHOUT FURTHER maths, even if i do get A*AA?

Would it perhaps be better to 1) do a further maths AS level 2) perhaps apply for economics with something else.

thanks in advance.
orca92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its a pretty big disadvantage. At the end of the day, your competing with other applicants to get into uni and if they have FM and you dont then your at a big disadvantage. LSE is so competitive that they look quite closely at your GCSEs; so no FM will be looked down on. Also A*AA isn't actually that good if your looking at LSE economics and similar unis; most people applying will have similar grades to you so the FM thing is highlighted.

I would definitely take FM AS level as it will significantly help you get an offer. Obviously you need to decide whether you can get an A in AS FM while getting A*AA in your A2s. Applying for ecomomics with something else is also an idea; depends what you want to study though.
roginho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you have the option of taking it, why don't you?

If you're put off by high school mathematics, you have to question whether economics at a top university is really for you.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by orca92)
Its a pretty big disadvantage. .
not really no

disadvantage yes
but a big disadvantage no
yoyo462001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
not really no

disadvantage yes
but a big disadvantage no
:ditto:
RBarack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by orca92)
Its a pretty big disadvantage. At the end of the day, your competing with other applicants to get into uni and if they have FM and you dont then your at a big disadvantage. LSE is so competitive that they look quite closely at your GCSEs; so no FM will be looked down on. Also A*AA isn't actually that good if your looking at LSE economics and similar unis; most people applying will have similar grades to you so the FM thing is highlighted.

I would definitely take FM AS level as it will significantly help you get an offer. Obviously you need to decide whether you can get an A in AS FM while getting A*AA in your A2s. Applying for ecomomics with something else is also an idea; depends what you want to study though.
No it's not, many students are admitted each year without FM.
vitamortis
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roginho)
If you're put off by high school mathematics
Further Mathematics is not 'high school' mathematics. It's near university level mathematics.
roginho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vitamortis)
Further Mathematics is not 'high school' mathematics. It's near university level mathematics.
'near university level'? Is there something between high school and university? If not, be quiet. The point still stands: if you are put off by studying more maths at a-level, I would consider whether economics at a top university is really for you.
vitamortis
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roginho)
'near university level'? Is there something between high school and university? If not, be quiet. The point still stands: if you are put off by studying more maths at a-level, I would consider whether economics at a top university is really for you.
Don't tell me to be quiet. I haven't insulted you.
roginho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, you didn't. You just tried to make a pointless distinction.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In terms of offers, you'll be at a disadvantage, but it won't kill your chances. Put it that way.

In terms of actual preparing you for content at university, I'd say you'll be fine without it for the actual mathematics used in economic theory, but that it will help for the more advanced statistical theory covered in your econometrics modules.
.ACS.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vitamortis)
On the whole, I'd disagree. Some aspects are more akin to university-level mathematics, whereas the vast majority of what is covered in Further Maths is simply the same as secondary-level mathematics (maybe not in content, but certainly style and the way in which the content is approached and how you're expected to regurgitate it in the exam).
sweetascandy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*reads thread*.. so does that mean that you absolutely don't stand a chance of doing economics at a top uni without Maths (i mean just maths on its own, not further maths!).. interesting...
DanielleLaura
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
can anyone help me with a economics question please?
Duckzilla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sweetascandy)
*reads thread*.. so does that mean that you absolutely don't stand a chance of doing economics at a top uni without Maths (i mean just maths on its own, not further maths!).. interesting...
Pretty much as most want maths really.
.ACS.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Having A-Level Maths is an absolute necessity.
sweetascandy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Duckzilla)
Pretty much as most want maths really.
So like, even if you're interested in doing history and economics..?
I'm asking for my friend whose incredibly intelligent, but she just doesn't enjoy maths.. and she wants to do history and economics at uni.. so would she be really badly disadvantaged if she doesn't have an AS in Maths??
sweetascandy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
Having A-Level Maths is an absolute necessity.
Even if you want to do history and economics at uni??
goldsilvy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Even if you want to do history and economics at uni??
Yup, I would say so.
danny111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yea OP, dont listen to borca92

Not having FM is not even necessarily a disadvantage. I know some people doing maths and econ and not having done FM. there are also plenty of people here that do econ and havent done FM.

The only thing that you might want to consider is your motives - do you really hate maths and/or suck at it? In that case economics may be tough for you - although even at LSE it is perfectly possible to get by without much maths.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (371)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (617)
48.77%

Watched Threads