TSR anti-ISM Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Earlier on this evening there was a thread created with an aim - to campaign and educate against some of the homophobic sentiment that has been expressed by some members on the board.
It certainly had a lofty, respectable aim.

To that end I dedicate this thread, and society to anti-ism. Whether that be sexism, racism, heterosexism [another word for homophobia], anti-semitism, or any other form of bigotry born out of hating someone for something they can't, nor shouldn't change.
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What an excellent idea, it just shows that theres some people on TSR who really do care about these issues.

Good luck with it
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nice thought, don't see how it helps but it's something I guess.
~Raven~
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It helps by making a statement, and showing support for people who are victimised because of who they are.
Good idea.
gemgems89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nice idea, Jamie. I'll join.
The Canadian
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Heh, seems like a sweet idea to me.

Be nice to get away from performances of 'Blame Canada'!!! Damn South Park GRRRRR

I take it that being ripped for being Canadian counts, same for being from Somerset, and for having a slight limp!!
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
or any other form of bigotry born out of hating someone for something they can't, nor shouldn't change.
Does this include paedophiliaism? Beastialitism?
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Northumbrian)
Does this include paedophiliaism? Beastialitism?
Indeed. And class prejudice perhaps?
Oh, I forgot...no 'ism' for that.

(Off to Snobs Reunited!)
Icy Ghost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'll join.
Kard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does this include Chavism? :eek:
Longshoredrift80
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What about environmentalism? I'm dead against that...
Hysterical fools...
The Canadian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
O.....Kaayy

I can see this might be getting a bit out of hand here. There are too many -isms to be against them all, and some are good like anarchism (more commonly called anarchy, but still an -ism) and some are not so good such as anti-christism.

At least they are examples in my opinion. And that is the big problem with anti-whatever societies, opinions. 'Opinions are meant to be changed, how else can we get to the truth' - A very true statement, but it neglects to say that opinions are also quite volotile at times.

The society is a good idea in theory, but in practise, I personally do not think it was such a good move.

Phew, that's my *****ing done for today!
Kard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This is creating too much confusion, you should have just left the LGB Society as it was.
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Are we committing ourselves to protecting Paedophiles and Beastophiles (?!) from prejudice? Afterall we can't change sexual orientation can we? Of course not!
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Canadian)
anarchism (more commonly called anarchy, but still an -ism)
technically there's aa ddifference.

MB
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise