Which is more important in medicine, Biology or Chemistry? (+POLL)

Watch
Poll: Which is more important in Medicine, Biology or Chemistry?
Biology - anatomy, malfunctioning of body (66)
41.51%
Chemistry - chemicals, treatments, technology etc (83)
52.2%
Not too sure (10)
6.29%
This discussion is closed.
*Dreamer*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
So my friend and I were having this debate on the bus. Her argument was that in Biology A-level we learn about the structure of the body and briefly how it malfunctions, which is way more useful than A-level Chemistry, so unis should make Biology A-level mandatory. My argument was that through the use of drugs we can heal or relieve symptoms (which is what Medicine is about), and the molecular properties of chemicals we learn about in A-level help us to do so, even though when we are in lesson it is not so apparent.

What do you guys think?
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chemistry is essential for entrance to medicine, but Biology is also very important. I suppose, at A-Level, Chemistry is more important as the Med School will cover all of the AS/A2 Biology stuff again in the first year, or so I've heard anyway.
King_Blumpkins
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd say Biology
Faith01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chemistry, you can't get into med school without A2 Chem.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Faith01)
Chemistry, you can't get into med school without A2 Chem.
But thats not true...unless something has changed in the last year.

I hate chem so i'd say bio.

I was asked this in my interview and said chem because they would teach us the bio we needed to know. Apparently it was the right answer so go figure.
clad in armour
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The whole reason why Chemistry is asked for at A level, is that they dont teach basic chemistry so they require students to have a sound base of knowledge, whereas a lot the Biology is repeated.

you talk about that on the bus? o.O
Ultimate_Geek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chemistry, no competition.
*Dreamer*
Rep:
?
(Original post by clad in armour)
The whole reason why Chemistry is asked for at A level, is that they dont teach basic chemistry so they require students to have a sound base of knowledge, whereas a lot the Biology is repeated.

you talk about that on the bus? o.O
We were talking about UCAS and both of us want to do Medicine, and somehow it ended in a full blown debate XD
She went to UEA open day, and they want Biology at A-level and she thought this was good. I personally think Chemistry is better but I can see where she is coming from.
clad in armour
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by *Dreamer*)
We were talking about UCAS and both of us want to do Medicine, and somehow it ended in a full blown debate XD
She went to UEA open day, and they want Biology at A-level and she thought this was good. I personally think Chemistry is better but I can see where she is coming from.
Oh right ok :p: I suppose its that time of year, I hope you guys get your offers then
KatieKate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was told when applying for A-level options that if you only do one science and you want to do something med-related, a lot of universities would prefer chemistry because the biology stuff is easier to teach and can be picked up much quicker whereas the chemistry stuff requires a lot more knowledge.

Not a clue if this is right, just what I was told :P
Spacecam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think when asking yourself in retrospect, you can realise that perhaps the one you had to work at most (and forgot the most about) later turns out, in your eyes, to be most important because you can't just pick out the knowledge from thin air or understand the concepts immediately.
Texan88
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a bit biased as Bio is my major... sooo it's gotta be BIO!!! :sexface:
Peace'n'loveman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So my friend and I were having this debate on the bus. Her argument was that in Biology A-level we learn about the structure of the body and briefly how it malfunctions, which is way more useful than A-level Chemistry, so unis should make Biology A-level mandatory. My argument was that through the use of drugs we can heal or relieve symptoms (which is what Medicine is about), and the molecular properties of chemicals we learn about in A-level help us to do so, even though when we are in lesson it is not so apparent.

What do you guys think?
from the point of view of the medical faculties,chemistry is most important.
Delaney
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Biology is easy Chemistry.
ACatCalledMeow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chemistry, i think.
Cappuccinoes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used to think that Biology was essential if you wanted to study medicine but it turns out Chemistry is the one all the med schools want.
soonerthanlater
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
without biology...there is no chemistry...
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm going to go with biology, just cause I'm hopefully going to UEA, and they ask for A2 biology, not Chemistry. But with regards to chemistry and knowing the molecular properties of drugs etc, you could argue is more necessary for those developing and finding drugs. As a doctor, you need to know what drug will treat what illness and what it will/could do, not necessarily what part of the molecule has the action and the mechanism for whatever reaction is occuring, so in that sense knowing about the body is more important.
*Dreamer*
Rep:
?
(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
I'm going to go with biology, just cause I'm hopefully going to UEA, and they ask for A2 biology, not Chemistry. But with regards to chemistry and knowing the molecular properties of drugs etc, you could argue is more necessary for those developing and finding drugs. As a doctor, you need to know what drug will treat what illness and what it will/could do, not necessarily what part of the molecule has the action and the mechanism for whatever reaction is occuring, so in that sense knowing about the body is more important.
Oh good luck with your application

What about knowing the doses of medicines to give to patients and side effects of certain brands of medicine etc? Surely they are important judgements gained through chemical knowledge?

x
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh good luck with your application

What about knowing the doses of medicines to give to patients and side effects of certain brands of medicine etc? Surely they are important judgements gained through chemical knowledge?

x
Oh I've already applied, it's dependent on grades this summer now, but thanks anyway

And yes they are important, but you don't need chemical knowledge for that. Yes, you need to know about side effects, but you need to know WHAT the side effects are, not what causes them, not what functional group within the drug causes them, not the fact that it's got an optical isomer etc. You could get the side effects from a written list, not requiring any chemical knowledge. And as for the dosage, that's to do with the physiology of the patient; weight, age, sex etc, or how far along the disease is (which can be determined by the symptoms shown by the patient, which again would be biology to a degree) and the calculation of the dosage would be more down to maths and using a specific formula rather than chemistry. You could argue.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.99%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
15.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads