This discussion is closed.
Iftikhar
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Bilingualism

Bilingual education is a human and civil right. Being bilingual and bi-cultural is an important resource in today’s global economy and the British government should be encouraging this rather than suppressing it. It is crucial that children feel secure in their bilingual identity. A research project at the Institute of Education, University of London, shows that five and six years olds cope well with biliteracy and gain advantages from it. If young people see their community language and culture is valued, they will feel integrated into British society. There is a great demand for individuals fluent in English and mother tongues by educational institutions, TV Channel, radio stations and service industries.

Bilingualism has positive effects on children’s linguistic and educational development. The level of development of children’s mother tongue is a strong predictor of their second language development. Mother tongue promotion in the school helps develop not only the mother tongue but also children abilities in the majority school language. Spending instructional time through minority language in the school does not hurt children’s academic development in the majority school language. When parent’s culture are recognized by the school, their interest and involvement in the curriculum often increase dramatically.

Children’s mother tongue is fragile and easily lost in the early years of school. Language lies at the heart of any culture. The different languages spoken provide clear links with the family and community traditions which enrich British culture. To reject a child’s language in the school is to reject a child. Children cultural and linguistic experience in the home is the foundation of their future learning and we must build on that foundation rather than undermine it. Increased cultural and language awareness could help to combat hooliganism.

Languages, by virtue of their direct contribution to economic competitiveness, intercultural tolerance and social cohesion, should have the status of a key skill alongside literacy, numeracy and ICT. The government should establish a national strategy for developing capability in languages and a system capable of supporting such a strategy. A language supremo should be attached to the cabinet office and have direct access to the Prime Minister. He should persuade the notoriously monolingual British to learn a language. New languages supremo must persuade reluctant Brits to speak something other than English. British society is already a multilingual society. The first wave of immigrants arrived with two or three languages from the sub-continent but its young generation is unable to feel pride in its mother tongue. The government should declare a firm commitment to early language learning for all children at age five. The key to success in business, the law and politics in the future will be the mastry of at least one foreign language. Knowledge of more than one language demonstrates that a candidate has the ability to think across cultural boundaries. Bilingualism enhances children’s development.
Iftikhar Ahmad
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes. Learning another language is a good idea even if we don't enjoy it, because otherwise our country would be seen as nationalist and arrogant like America.

What other language that children should learn do you have in mind?
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If your mothertounge is not english. You could use to be bi lingual with English as your second language. Otherwise you are perfectly set with english alone...
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
If your mothertounge is not english. You could use to be bi lingual with English as your second language. Otherwise you are perfectly set with english alone...
one of my mum's friends married a french guy and they live in france. their 7 year old daughter always makes me feels so ignorant as she natters away in both english and french + can wite in both as well, while i struggle with french basics. i would truly love to be able to speak another language properly, but found french incredibly hard... wouldn't it be great to have learnt it from a young age? it's like dutch people who always have perfect english- makes you feel pretty arrogant for only speaking english.

lou xxx
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
one of my mum's friends married a french guy and they live in france. their 7 year old daughter always makes me feels so ignorant as she natters away in both english and french + can wite in both as well, while i struggle with french basics. i would truly love to be able to speak another language properly, but found french incredibly hard... wouldn't it be great to have learnt it from a young age? it's like dutch people who always have perfect english- makes you feel pretty arrogant for only speaking english.

lou xxx
Yeah, that's precisely it.

I suppose Iftikhar is saying that learning another language would make people understand other cultures more as well to reduce racism. We already have to do a language at GCSE though.

Is the purpose of us having to do an RE course to make sure we understand other people's culture? I know one of the topics we looked at in a lesson a while ago was "Problems for Muslims living in Britain" - I suppose this directly made us think about the needs of other cultures.

Ahhh... I'm not making sense am I.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Yes. Learning another language is a good idea even if we don't enjoy it, because otherwise our country would be seen as nationalist and arrogant like America.

What other language that children should learn do you have in mind?
wouldnt it be good if we were more nationalist?
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iftikhar)
Bilingualism

Bilingual education is a human and civil right. Being bilingual and bi-cultural is an important resource in today’s global economy and the British government should be encouraging this rather than suppressing it.
since when are the government surpressing it? as much as i hate labour, and i really do, the welsh language act is the best thing thats ever happened to wales and the welsh language.

french and german is taught in probably every school in britain..and i aint heard any plans to abolish it.

If young people see their community language and culture is valued, they will feel integrated into British society.
some people dont need to feel intergrated into british society- we all ready are. being bi-lingual doent make you forign.

There is a great demand for individuals fluent in English and mother tongues by educational institutions, TV Channel, radio stations and service industries.
then doesnt it show a sorry state on britain today.

Bilingualism has positive effects on children’s linguistic and educational development. The level of development of children’s mother tongue is a strong predictor of their second language development. Mother tongue promotion in the school helps develop not only the mother tongue but also children abilities in the majority school language. Spending instructional time through minority language in the school does not hurt children’s academic development in the majority school language. When parent’s culture are recognized by the school, their interest and involvement in the curriculum often increase dramatically.

Children’s mother tongue is fragile and easily lost in the early years of school. Language lies at the heart of any culture. The different languages spoken provide clear links with the family and community traditions which enrich British culture. To reject a child’s language in the school is to reject a child. Children cultural and linguistic experience in the home is the foundation of their future learning and we must build on that foundation rather than undermine it. Increased cultural and language awareness could help to combat hooliganism.

Languages, by virtue of their direct contribution to economic competitiveness, intercultural tolerance and social cohesion, should have the status of a key skill alongside literacy, numeracy and ICT. The government should establish a national strategy for developing capability in languages and a system capable of supporting such a strategy. A language supremo should be attached to the cabinet office and have direct access to the Prime Minister. He should persuade the notoriously monolingual British to learn a language. New languages supremo must persuade reluctant Brits to speak something other than English. British society is already a multilingual society. The first wave of immigrants arrived with two or three languages from the sub-continent but its young generation is unable to feel pride in its mother tongue. The government should declare a firm commitment to early language learning for all children at age five. The key to success in business, the law and politics in the future will be the mastry of at least one foreign language. Knowledge of more than one language demonstrates that a candidate has the ability to think across cultural boundaries. Bilingualism enhances children’s development.
Iftikhar Ahmad
at the end of the day- if they dont want to b british, noones forcing them to stay here.

the british goverment is encoraging bi-lingual teaching...just in welsh, french german and spanish. these are the languages that are important in todays world.

so stop moaning.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
since when are the government surpressing it? as much as i hate labour, and i really do, the welsh language act is the best thing thats ever happened to wales and the welsh language.

french and german is taught in probably every school in britain..and i aint heard any plans to abolish it.

some people dont need to feel intergrated into british society- we all ready are. being bi-lingual doent make you forign.

then doesnt it show a sorry state on britain today.

at the end of the day- if they dont want to b british, noones forcing them to stay here.

the british goverment is encoraging bi-lingual teaching...just in welsh, french german and spanish. these are the languages that are important in todays world.

so stop moaning.
I agree, besides the big problem is that if we force people to learn a second language, which should it be? traditionlly it has been france, because they are our closest neighbours, and german, but i think that as second languages go it makes far more sense to learn chinese (written that is, not spoken) and spanish.
Interestingly i saw a woman last year who was bilingual (orignally came from austria) who had a stroke which detroyed the speech part of her brain. She can no longer speak english, but still can talk german. Her hubbie though only ever spoke english, so they're having real communication problems. Ironic as they have been married 40 years!
J
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
agree with most of your points- but there are plans to make a language non-compulsory after year 9 which i think is a stupid thing to do. in year 9 i would have chosen not to do french GCSE, but i had to (i was even worse at German) and i'm now glad i did. at least i have the basics somewhere in my brain (underneath that bit of cotton wool)

lou xxx
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
why are you all replying to a plaigarised post?
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
agree with most of your points- but there are plans to make a language non-compulsory after year 9 which i think is a stupid thing to do. in year 9 i would have chosen not to do french GCSE, but i had to (i was even worse at German) and i'm now glad i did. at least i have the basics somewhere in my brain (underneath that bit of cotton wool)

lou xxx
but that only applies to england, forign languages are optional past year 9 in wales and still most people do them. i did german because its similar to welsh.

in wales...if the stop welsh being compulsory then they must stop english being compulsory, so kids are always going to be taught bi-lingually.

love Katy ***
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
why are you all replying to a plaigarised post?

because its still an intresting idea and the guy who posted it is slightly ignorant.

love Katy ***
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I like learning languages, not because it's useful for going abroad (well, it is actually!) but because I enjoy it and it feels good to be able to communicate in a language which someone doesn't understand!

I was born in England (London!) and have spoken English all my life but at home, I speak Cantonese. At the moment, I'm doing Italian at college and I will either continue that at university next year or start on Japanese instead. Hopefully, I will learn one more language, like French or German and then become 'pentlinguistic'!
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I speak 5 langs!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)
I speak 5 langs!
I know someone who can speak 13 languages. But then hes one of those rare freaks that the world produces. And has just graduated with a first from cambridge doing...modern languages...
J
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I know someone who can speak 13 languages. But then hes one of those rare freaks that the world produces. And has just graduated with a first from cambridge doing...modern languages...
J

Which languages?! That's pretty amazing... is he really good at all of them?
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's probably a beneficial thing that languages are taught in UK schools, but the age at which they start and the level to which they're developed by GCSE is poor and insufficient to properly converse in the language. Compare these with countries that are naturally multilingual and the difference in quality of understanding of the studied language is usually all too clear.
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
but that only applies to england, forign languages are optional past year 9 in wales and still most people do them. i did german because its similar to welsh.

in wales...if the stop welsh being compulsory then they must stop english being compulsory, so kids are always going to be taught bi-lingually.

love Katy ***
ok #1: how is welsh similar to german??

and #2: learning welsh is different to learning english as you actually learn the language in welsh lessons - in english you just learn how to use it better (which i can't do!!)

and my stupid school makes us take at least 1 foreign language (not including welsh obviously as its compulsory) but i liked taking welsh anyway - bloody easier than ****ty french or german!
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
I like learning languages, not because it's useful for going abroad (well, it is actually!) but because I enjoy it and it feels good to be able to communicate in a language which someone doesn't understand!

I was born in England (London!) and have spoken English all my life but at home, I speak Cantonese. At the moment, I'm doing Italian at college and I will either continue that at university next year or start on Japanese instead. Hopefully, I will learn one more language, like French or German and then become 'pentlinguistic'!

u speak cantonese at home? wow...whats the big obsession with chinese at the moment?
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
because its still an intresting idea and the guy who posted it is slightly ignorant.

love Katy ***
why is the guy that posted it ignorant? Aren't you right now breaking the rules of this message board?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (14)
60.87%
Don't know (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads