This discussion is closed.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)

french and german is taught in probably every school in britain..and i aint heard any plans to abolish it.
We don't have german at my school anymore, the teachers all left! So I had to do French GCSE, and have spent 5 hours every fortnight wishing I was anywhere but in that class with lots of dif. supply teachers. Now though we have a decent teacher, but still...

In most countries they speak at least one language (usually english) other than their native one perfectly... But in the UK we are pretty ignorant...

I really want to learn German again and Urdu would be cool cos it's great suprising people I know a bit of it...
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sparkler)
ok #1: how is welsh similar to german??

and #2: learning welsh is different to learning english as you actually learn the language in welsh lessons - in english you just learn how to use it better (which i can't do!!)

and my stupid school makes us take at least 1 foreign language (not including welsh obviously as its compulsory) but i liked taking welsh anyway - bloody easier than ****ty french or german!
Hmmm... they say languages like English and German and probably Welsh come from the "Germanic" family, and there are some similiarities. And they say languages like French and Italian and Spanish come from the "Romance" group. Well that's what my atlas says.

I prefer German myself to French because I hate trying to put on a posh accent. And I hate all the awkward accents in French, in German there's just the thingys-s (forgot the name lol, same as a double s) and ü and not much else really.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by white_solitude)
u speak cantonese at home? wow...whats the big obsession with chinese at the moment?
Erm....what do you mean by that? I'm Chinese after all.....

Anyways, it's quite possible to learn 3 or 4 languages at the same time. For example, I know a few Scandinavians who know Norwish, Swedish and Danish because they are quite similiar. Learning very different languages like German, Arabic, Japanese and Hindi is so much more harder.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Cantonese is the most useful language other than english since wherever you go on holiday you will always be able to ask stuff at the local chinese takeway. This is what my dad's friend does.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
Cantonese is the most useful language other than english since wherever you go on holiday you will always be able to ask stuff at the local chinese takeway. This is what my dad's friend does.
The thing is that some of us Chinese think you are taking the p*ss when you are trying to order something in Cantonese and often pronounce it incorrectly, lol. It does happen
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
The thing is that some of us Chinese think you are taking the p*ss when you are trying to order something in Cantonese and often pronounce it incorrectly, lol. It does happen
hehe

He is pretty fluent though because he lived in Hong Kong for ages. None of the market traders would sell him counterfeight watches because they thought he was a policeman, lol
white_solitude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Erm....what do you mean by that? I'm Chinese after all.....

Anyways, it's quite possible to learn 3 or 4 languages at the same time. For example, I know a few Scandinavians who know Norwish, Swedish and Danish because they are quite similiar. Learning very different languages like German, Arabic, Japanese and Hindi is so much more harder.

o right...sorry i didn't realise, i'm chinese too...although mandarin
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Hmmm... they say languages like English and German and probably Welsh come from the "Germanic" family, and there are some similiarities. And they say languages like French and Italian and Spanish come from the "Romance" group. Well that's what my atlas says.

I prefer German myself to French because I hate trying to put on a posh accent. And I hate all the awkward accents in French, in German there's just the thingys-s (forgot the name lol, same as a double s) and ü and not much else really.

German was easier. The grammar is very mechanical and logical, i tend to think of it as being a sciency language. I used to find it much easier than french except the words were so long...writing 150 words would take about 10 pages!

Im glad i picked french over german though, its so much more prettier and France itself is a prettier country...id much rather go there on holiday than germany.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Im glad i picked french over german though, its so much more prettier and France itself is a prettier country...id much rather go there on holiday than germany.
I haven't ever met one French person whom I have liked, yet every German person I've met has been very aimiable.
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I haven't ever met one French person whom I have liked, yet every German person I've met has been very aimiable.
I've met one French person who I liked, at the most 5... I have a german penfriend lol though I never really write... Spanish people are way nice
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

true that...German culture and music is generally much better than French, i love Die Toten Hosen and Rammstein...but think of places like St Tropez, Monte Carlo and Paris...all beautiful places id much rather visit.
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sparkler)
and #2: learning welsh is different to learning english as you actually learn the language in welsh lessons - in english you just learn how to use it better (which i can't do!!)
But that that's only true for English-medium schools in Wales, and even then only for a second-language Welsh class. In Welsh-medium comprehensives or first-language classes, Welsh lessons are taught the same way as English lessons, so it's not actually learning the language like it is with French/German etc.

And you get to learn French and German through Welsh!
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't you really get annoyed when people say stuff like 'Everyone else speaks english anyway' its so ignorant its unbelievable yet its not an uncommon statement. Its like those people who go to live in Spain and don't even make an effort to learn the language or enjoy the spanish culture. Quit destroying their country!
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
true that...German culture and music is generally much better than French, i love Die Toten Hosen and Rammstein...but think of places like St Tropez, Monte Carlo and Paris...all beautiful places id much rather visit.
My fav place out of those is Monte Carlo, it's amazing late at night with all the lights shining onto the water... ahhhhhh the days of last summer
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
one of my mum's friends married a french guy and they live in france. their 7 year old daughter always makes me feels so ignorant as she natters away in both english and french + can wite in both as well, while i struggle with french basics. i would truly love to be able to speak another language properly, but found french incredibly hard... wouldn't it be great to have learnt it from a young age? it's like dutch people who always have perfect english- makes you feel pretty arrogant for only speaking english.

lou xxx
I know how you feel. I met one Dutch girl of 11 who spoke fluent English and asked her, "How long have you been having lessons?" She replied, "I learnt it all from British and American TV."

The best linguist I've ever met was an exchange student from Italy who stayed with my family when I was 7. We still keep in touch with her and her family and she can speak at least 8 languages fluently (English, French, German, Latin, Spanish, Russian, Japanaese and Arabic). It's amazing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (389)
67.3%
No (189)
32.7%

Watched Threads