Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know that many people on this forum have just recently started an AS Level Course in Further Maths. We have had 6 (3 hours) so far and have been learning about Imaginary Numbers, Complex Numbers, Agrand Diagrams etc.

We have actaully found it quite tough and it has take some extra reading to get our heads around some of the difficult questions we have been set.

Anyone else want to share their experience?

ReputationRep:
    I know someone doing Further Maths, and she has to have Further Maths clubs at lunchtimes throughout the week. It is challenging, but rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    not back at school yet but last term did chapters 1-3 of FP1 and about 1-3 of D1

nothing especially hard so far

the complex stuff is fine, series stuff was pretty cool, and can't remember the 1st chapter but i guess it was something really easy

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, inequalities - was easy

ReputationRep:
    I am taking AS Further Maths along with A2 Maths. Term doesn't start until Monday for me so all we have done is a 15 minute induction session where we did basic stuff with matrices (adding and subtracting) to be honest, i could have done it when I was 6 years old as all the work we did in that session involves is basic addition and subtraction :rolleyes: Apparantly it used to be part of the KS3 syllabus until they decided that it should be a part of Further Maths A Level. Having read on through that chapter of the textbook it doesn't look like it gets much harder either. I also read a bit about complex numbers (can you tell I was bored lol) white looks quite confusing but also interesting

ReputationRep:
    just had an hour of further math so far... i took add math for my o level exams so i didnt find it really hard but we got a lot of hw i think!!!

ReputationRep:
    We've been back a week and have already finished first order differential equations. Everything so far seems pretty cool, but second order differential equations and polar coordinates look tougher. Also finished S1 and S2 for January, only 4 months in advance... and are a fair way into M3! It so fast

ReputationRep:
    Wow, intresting. To be honest, we found it quite though! After facing GCSE Maths standard-questions for 2 years, and then, suddenly, on the first lesson facing problems like:

Given that T = x - iy / x + iy

Show that,

1 + T²/2T = x² - y²/x² + y²
    We all found it quite hard going...

ReputationRep:
    lol, we haven't learnt anything new yet. everyone else in the class was perplexed by a CAST diagram.

amazingly we are working our way through the same big red book i stole last year, so there's this overpowering sense of deja vu for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Wow, intresting. To be honest, we found it quite though! After facing GCSE Maths standard-questions for 2 years, and then, suddenly, on the first lesson facing problems like:
    Given that T = x - iy / x + iy

Show that,

1 + T²/2T = x² - y²/x² + y²

We all found it quite hard going...
    Complex numbers are one of the easiest things in the course IMO. As a wise man once said: "They're only called complex because of the ignorance of mathematicians half a millenium ago."

ReputationRep:
    Well, im sure we will find it easier soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    We've had a few lessons and did matrices, which was easy until we had to multiply them.

ReputationRep:
    This year we've done all of series (easy, it's my favourite topic in FP1), roots of quadratics, trigonometry & calculus. They've all been pretty easy, long-winded but easy.

We also started mechanics, it's moderately difficult to understand at first but after that, very easy.

ReputationRep:
    When I started Further Maths last year, I found it extremely difficult and was actually considering dropping it. I think I found it difficult because I was used to being spoon fed, but at college it's more independant learning.

After a bit it'll become less harder because you'll have got your brain around most of the stuff- but don't suffer in silence. My teacher used to think I was thick so I used to act it.

ReputationRep:
    We've started both FP1 and M3.. Done the first 2 chapters of FP1 (starting complex numbers tomorrow) and the first chapter of M3. Hasn't been too bad, so far at least. My school also gave us the text books for FP2, FP3 ,M4 and M5... now those don't look too good :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I've started AS Further alongside A2 Maths. The lesson time available is seriously limited - we get 9 hours a fortnight for Maths, and have 4 lessons a fortnight for Further. So we're going through everything a lot quicker - which personally I think wil be great preparation for a Maths degree, considering the speed of the delivery of the material. It's requiring a lot of self-study, which again I think will be great prep for uni study.

At the moment we're working towards the two applied modules (D1 & S2), which we're aiming to take in January. Then we're doing FP1 in June (and starting the theory for after January). All good fun

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 11, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.