This discussion is closed.
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have to pick one for my insurance choice - can anyone help me I don't have a clue. I've been to southampton and didnt like it there (didnt hate it, just the place didnt really suit me) havent been to exeter as its so far away but might have to:

exeter offer: ABC
southampton offer: ABB

besides from academic life i want:

+ really nice buildings, either brand new or very traditional (eg no 60's/70s!)
+ i want - very very good for sports especially competitive swimming
+ excellent nightlife
+ guaranteed accomodation for all 3 years of course
+ large room with an internet connection is a MUST and en-suite if poss
+ large town/city with loooads of students
+ campus/city not too spread out - walking distance from halls to uni
+ near to another big city

cost etc is not an issue.

can anyone help me? I have to make a decision!#
thnx xxx
emzie
Rep:
?
nah im a uk student - i have an offer nottingham where i really want to go to, but its the same grade offer - AAB and they are a bit iffy about being the insurnance choice i have heard (esp when they find out its to oxford :s)

the good at sports with a swim pool and club nearby (so i can get to without a car on bike) is a MUST

internet connection in room is a MUST

excellent nightlife is a MUST

loooads of students/fairly big place yet cambus fairly concentrated is a MUST

not all 60s buildings etc is a MUST (for geog department)

others are just very highly desirable :s do southampton/exe hav any of the above? which one was more?

thankx for replying
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
When I applied to southampton two years ago I had a little mini interview during the open day, upon the guy asking if I had any questions I asked "What is the worst thing about coming to study here?". The response was that none of their halls were networked!
Needless to say, they didn't get my insurance and Exeter did.
I heard from someone who graduated from soton last year that they were starting to network rooms, so it may still not be the case, but if it is a MUST you ought to check it out very carefully!

Exeter is on a bloody big hill, but everything seemed to be in walking distance and the buildings were of an older style there where as soton seemed to be a combination of every decade since the 60s and 2 years ago their student union building was frankly crap. It's been renovated now, so it is probably much nicer.

Dunno about swimming, soton is bigger I think so may have better nightlife but when I was there I was recommended that students shouldn't go into certain areas (flowers estate?) and so I dunno if they get trouble.

Good luck

Alaric.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
I have to pick one for my insurance choice - can anyone help me I don't have a clue. I've been to southampton and didnt like it there (didnt hate it, just the place didnt really suit me) havent been to exeter as its so far away but might have to:

exeter offer: ABC+ i want - very very good for sports especially competitive swimming
+ excellent nightlife
+ guaranteed accomodation for all 3 years of course
+ large room with an internet connection is a MUST and en-suite if poss
+ large town/city with loooads of students
+ campus/city not too spread out - walking distance from halls to uni
+ near to another big city
southampton offer: ABB

besides from academic life i want:

+ really nice buildings, either brand new or very traditional (eg no 60's/70s!)

cost etc is not an issue.

can anyone help me? I have to make a decision!#
thnx xxx

i suggest you come and visit exeter...i wasnt sure till i visited but then fell in love with it.

+ competitive swimming- from what i can tell, and i have mates in the swimming team its very good, they've been to a couple of national gala's and swam against other unis- train loads, with circuits as well as in the pool training.
+ excellent nightlife- satisfies me, it depends on what you'r looking for, theres a good few clubs, lots of pubs, the uni social life is great.
+ guaranteed accomodation for all 3 years of course- garanteed room for your 1st year- either in halls or self catering, i dont know anyone whos homeless in the 2nd or 3rd year, the union welfare gal is really really helpful.
+ large room with an internet connection is a MUST and en-suite if poss- nearly all have internet connection.
+ large town/city with loooads of students- its a large town/small city, got plenty of shops+ good transport+ good nightlife,
+ campus/city not too spread out - walking distance from halls to uni- its not really spread out much, main site is one side of the city, then thers the centre, then st lukes, its not really far to anywhere.
+ near to another big city- plymouth is short train journey away, taunton is close and it aint too hard to get to bristol/bath.
and the campus is absolutly gorgeous, i love my building is the coolest shape...ollie'll agree.

love Katy ***
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont go to uni but I always like to stick up for exeter cos I live here!! Heh. I 'd just like to say the hill isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I live as far up as the uni and it takes about 20 minutes to get from central station to home, you totally get used to it after a little while and you won't even notice it!
marshal
Report 16 years ago
Exeters a great city, i may be biased living here...but its got some good benefit for students....like pound a pint night at some local pubs...you can walk pretty much any where you'd want to go in exeter and the best part is its close to Croyde and Newquay, oh yeah and the university's quite good too
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
i suggest you come and visit exeter...i wasnt sure till i visited but then fell in love with it.

+ competitive swimming- from what i can tell, and i have mates in the swimming team its very good, they've been to a couple of national gala's and swam against other unis- train loads, with circuits as well as in the pool training.
+ excellent nightlife- satisfies me, it depends on what you'r looking for, theres a good few clubs, lots of pubs, the uni social life is great.
+ guaranteed accomodation for all 3 years of course- garanteed room for your 1st year- either in halls or self catering, i dont know anyone whos homeless in the 2nd or 3rd year, the union welfare gal is really really helpful.
+ large room with an internet connection is a MUST and en-suite if poss- nearly all have internet connection.
+ large town/city with loooads of students- its a large town/small city, got plenty of shops+ good transport+ good nightlife,
+ campus/city not too spread out - walking distance from halls to uni- its not really spread out much, main site is one side of the city, then thers the centre, then st lukes, its not really far to anywhere.
+ near to another big city- plymouth is short train journey away, taunton is close and it aint too hard to get to bristol/bath.
and the campus is absolutly gorgeous, i love my building is the coolest shape...ollie'll agree.

love Katy ***
agree that exeter is the best, but ure building is wierd!
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
nah im a uk student - i have an offer nottingham where i really want to go to, but its the same grade offer - AAB and they are a bit iffy about being the insurnance choice i have heard (esp when they find out its to oxford :s)

the good at sports with a swim pool and club nearby (so i can get to without a car on bike) is a MUST

excellent nightlife is a MUST

loooads of students/fairly big place yet cambus fairly concentrated is a MUST

not all 60s buildings etc is a MUST (for geog department)

others are just very highly desirable :s do southampton/exe hav any of the above? which one was more?

thankx for replying
i would go for southhampton but neither is going to give you all of those, southhampton for the nightlife though
emzie
Rep:
?
thank you all so much for your replies! the swimming looks good at both and they both towns have fairly good swim clubs which is really good yeh you guys are right i'm going to have to go and visit exeter to see what's it like in real life and how I feel there. As long as i could get a networked room at soton at highfield (how likely is this considering it will be my insurance, I heard its oversubscribed there?) then both are pretty much on a par so it depends which atmosphere I prefer I guess :s thank you all so much, you've been a great help xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (445)
59.02%
Yes- I don't like it (42)
5.57%
No- I want it (217)
28.78%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.63%

Watched Threads