My AS Levels Watch

This discussion is closed.
chanandler
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm taking English literature, Maths, BUsiness Studies & Film studies. I wanted to take History instead of Business Studies as I want have a job that involves english and i was told that history is a good one to have to strengthen my english A level.
What do you think of my choices and is the history thing correct?
MissSurfer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Definitely. As much as I love Business Studies (I v.nearly took it to AS Level), I'd recommend you take History as Business is often considered a soft option and History is more respected. However, the best thing you can do is go for the one you prefer!

good luck choosing

MissSurfer
~Bex~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
History would be useful, but some of the skills you pick up in business studies will be useful too. Go for whichever you enjoy more
chanandler
Thanks for your help! I prefer History but that class is full so i had to pick Business studies which i'm not overly keen on. Ive heard people can do an extra A level outside school (like at home etc). Could i do that for history and more importantly how?
Also, i want to be a journalist so could i still pursue that without the history a-level and just have the english a-level (and hopefully an english degree)?
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by chanandler)
Thanks for your help! I prefer History but that class is full so i had to pick Business studies which i'm not overly keen on. Ive heard people can do an extra A level outside school (like at home etc). Could i do that for history and more importantly how?
Also, i want to be a journalist so could i still pursue that without the history a-level and just have the english a-level (and hopefully an english degree)?
You'd have to find a centre that'd be willing to enter you for the exam first - adult colleges might be your best bet, ask around in your area - then it's just a matter of finding out the syllabus and teaching yourself. You might even be able to find an evening class that offers it.

And yeah, nothing whatsoever to say you need a history alevel to work in journalism, I get the impression it's more about flair and experience.
chanandler
That was really helpful miss libby. Thanks
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
The combination seems fine.
MissSurfer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeh I agree too

Good luck with the journalism (or whatever you decide to do!).

MissSurfer
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (66)
13.07%
Yes - a food allergy (54)
10.69%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (14)
2.77%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.97%
No (356)
70.5%

Watched Threads