The Student Room Group

Can you take clothes back without a receipt?

I bought a dress from Topshop about 6 weeks ago. I realised I didn't really fit well when I got home but I'd lost the receipt. It's still got tags on and is in perfect condition and has never been worn. Can I still take it back?

Scroll to see replies

flying twig
I bought a dress from Topshop about 6 weeks ago. I realised I didn't really fit well when I got home but I'd lost the receipt. It's still got tags on and is in perfect condition and has never been worn. Can I still take it back?

Yes but they will either give you 'store credit' or cash for the last known price not what you paid.
Reply 2
Jennie1987
Yes but they will either give you 'store credit' or cash for the last known price not what you paid.

You mean like if it had been in the sale?

I wouldn't mind just getting store credit since I'd probably just spend the money in there anyways
Reply 3
Yes they should do though it is likely they will just give you store credit. Also if it has been on sale for a lower price since you bought it they'll probably give you that price.
I don't know if they can, cos they might think you just took it from the shop and are trying to get money for it. That's the point of receipts, isn't it? Hopefully they'll trust you though.
NaturalDisaster
I don't know if they can, cos they might think you just took it from the shop and are trying to get money for it. That's the point of receipts, isn't it? Hopefully they'll trust you though.

Youre wrong - they can its just at their discretion for store credit/cash and it will be the price the item is now/was the last time it was in the store.
flying twig

Did you pay for it by card? Does it have the tag on with the price? Perhaps take a copy of a bank statement if you did use a card. You need proof of purchase - a receipt is just an example of that.
flying twig
You mean like if it had been in the sale?

I wouldn't mind just getting store credit since I'd probably just spend the money in there anyways

Yes, reduced, on sale, discontinued after a lower price...whatever their system says is the amount they will give you.
Seeing as you havent got the receipt they will probably let you exchange it for something else but not have your money back. But am i right in thinking that if you return something you have to return it within 28 days. Then again, if you havent got the receipt then they wont know it was over 28 days ago. So yeah- you wont be able to have your money back but will be able to exchange it for something else.
*Star*Guitar*
Did you pay for it by card? Does it have the tag on with the price? Perhaps take a copy of a bank statement if you did use a card. You need proof of purchase - a receipt is just an example of that.

No they dont accept either as your bank statement doesnt give what items you bought and you could have snapped off the reduced tag.
Jennie1987
No they dont accept either as your bank statement doesnt give what items you bought and you could have snapped off the reduced tag.

If you've snapped off the reduced tag what does it matter if the statement shows you bought it for that. And I'm talking about one item on the statement.
I don't think you can TBH, but it's worth a try. If you bought it more than 7 days ago, then I wouldn't waste my time.
I have and gotten full money back, along with shoes (after I've worn them and realised how bloody narrow they were - you didn't get the full effect of it in the shop) and a pair of earrings (bought for a friend and then realised another friend had bought the exact same gift; no one wore them), along with some other things I'm sure aren't really supposed to be taken back. Then again, I'm told I look unhinged and can be very persuasive. :wink:

At six weeks since purchase, you're well out of the normal twenty-eight days shops give and you don't have a receipt. However, it's at the shop's discretion whether they give you money, credit or simply refuse. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
Jennie1987
Youre wrong - they can its just at their discretion for store credit/cash and it will be the price the item is now/was the last time it was in the store.

Kinda destroys the point of receipts then doesn't it? At least it's not as much of a waste of paper as homework though. Or exam papers *shudders*. But I can't remember the last time I returned something to a shop, so I have absolutely no idea.
I tried to take a dress back to All Saints to exchange for the size down and they said no, so I think it depends on whether they're feeling generous.
NaturalDisaster
Kinda destroys the point of receipts then doesn't it? At least it's not as much of a waste of paper as homework though. Or exam papers *shudders*. But I can't remember the last time I returned something to a shop, so I have absolutely no idea.

Lol no the point of a receipt is that you get the amount you paid for an item back in the same form you paid for it.
Reply 16
I do have a bank statement but it doesn't say what I bought just says that I paid something to Topshop. I might tell them I bought it 3 weeks ago since I know it was in stores anyways because 6 weeks is a long time. I will try tomorrow and if they won't I'll just sell it on ebay.
*Star*Guitar*
If you've snapped off the reduced tag what does it matter if the statement shows you bought it for that. And I'm talking about one item on the statement.

But the item wouldnt be on the statement - you know they sell several things for the same price in a shop? Say I bought a top at £10 4 weeks ago and try to return a £10 skirt I bought 5 weeks ago with my bank statement, then my statement wouldnt say which item it was so they wouldnt give me that.

Plus OP is 6 weeks so past the stores return period and wouldnt get that price even if she had the receipt unless that was the last known price.
Jennie1987
Lol no the point of a receipt is that you get the amount you paid for an item back in the same form you paid for it.

:rolleyes: See, I'm just really stupid. But then again, I never saw the point of receipts seeing as they give you them for food. So we can just take back a half eaten cake, can we? That puts a bit of a spin on the saying "Have your cake and eat it.", it's turned into, "Have your cake, eat half of it, and take it back to get your money,"
flying twig
I do have a bank statement but it doesn't say what I bought just says that I paid something to Topshop. I might tell them I bought it 3 weeks ago since I know it was in stores anyways because 6 weeks is a long time. I will try tomorrow and if they won't I'll just sell it on ebay.

It doesnt matter if you change the period they dont look for the price it was then - they only have the up to date price and you only have the item not a receipt within the returns period. So itll either be store credit/cash for whatever price they have or nothing because they can say no.

Quick Reply

Latest