Most impressive recent scientific advance Watch

This discussion is closed.
Goat
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have a wierd feeling that Cambridge are gonna ask me a question like this at my interview tomorrow so I need to have one prepared to put my mind at rest, (preferably one involving advances in Computing).

All I can think of at the moment is those cruise missiles that fly for long distances a meter or so above the ground, but I dont want to say that in case I have an anti-war interviewer!

What do you think?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
I have a wierd feeling that Cambridge are gonna ask me a question like this at my interview tomorrow so I need to have one prepared to put my mind at rest, (preferably one involving advances in Computing).

All I can think of at the moment is those cruise missiles that fly for long sistances a meter or so above the ground, but I dont want to say that in case I have an anti-war interviewer!

What do you think?
If he brings up war - say you are looking at it from a purely aesthetic view.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Coffee machine.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Coffee machine.
Your definition of recent blows my mind.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Atomic computers? I know they're still being developed but a lot of the theory needed to get them underway has recently been discovered.

Or (and this is a lovely secret that hardly anyone (even the computer bods) seems to have heard about GRID technology. The GRID is like an internet of supercomputers that allows scientists of all types to use unimaginable amounts of processing power to analyse their results (the new thingummy being built at cern would produce more data than could be analysed normally without the GRID). *And* cambridge host one of the national e-science (GRID) centres - http://www.escience.cam.ac.uk/

read more about the grid and how it works here http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/escience/keyactivities.shtml or just have a google
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)

All I can think of at the moment is those cruise missiles that fly for long distances a meter or so above the ground, but I dont want to say that in case I have an anti-war interviewer!

What do you think?
The GPS system ?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)

All I can think of at the moment is those cruise missiles that fly for long sistances a meter or so above the ground, but I dont want to say that in case I have an anti-war interviewer!

What do you think?

Conducting polymers were pretty good, although they're not that recent (the Nobel Prize was though)... Umm... there was something in NewScientist last year about a new element that had been discovered... aha! Tetraneutron! 4 neutrons and no protons/electrons. That might turn out to be significant, you never know

edit: oops, sorry, missed the computing bit!
Goat
(Original post by Jonatan)
The GPS system ?
How recent is that?
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)

What do you think?
for what subject are u talking the interview ???
Goat
(Original post by prince_capri)
for what subject are u talking the interview ???
Computer Science. The first year will be 50% physics, but the interviewers are both Computer Science fellows, so something linked with computing would be best.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
Computer Science. The first year will be 50% physics, but the interviewers are both Computer Science fellows, so something linked with computing would be best.
I'd definately go with GRID then - all the others use computers but GRID is all about the next level of computing power - hardware and software.
Goat
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I'd definately go with GRID then - all the others use computers but GRID is all about the next level of computing power - hardware and software.
It sounds a bit prepared though, it looks like ive anticipated the question and tried to find the answer that I think would impress them the most, rather than what I think.

Or maybe theyd be please that Ive researched into Cambridge?
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
that is pretty good point !!!!
Goat
(Original post by prince_capri)
that is pretty good point !!!!
So you think I should go for the grid answer?
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
So you think I should go for the grid answer?
well, yea....but be pretty sure that u know everything abou' it....its no point going in front of the interviewes and just blabbering...
Be sure and show as if u really know that topic...and not as if u have just heard about it......and infact keep a second option !!!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
It sounds a bit prepared though, it looks like ive anticipated the question and tried to find the answer that I think would impress them the most, rather than what I think.

Or maybe theyd be please that Ive researched into Cambridge?
Well I know about the GRID and I don't study computing just picked it up from a few articles in the New Scientist about 2 yrs ago and followed it up with some research online and thought the idea of a supercomputer internet was incredibly interesting...the shear size of the project and the fact that a large number of other scientific developements (like the CERN thing) would be useless without it.

Plus it's a huge job area - scientists capable of creating GRID programs are getting snapped up all over the place - if I was looking to study CS (or any other science) I'd be looking into how I could tailor my course to tap into it.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That GRID thing sounds pretty interesting- just flick through New Scientist or similar and read anything that catches your eye. then do a little bit of googling on the topic.

lou xxx
Goat
Well I know about the GRID and I don't study computing just picked it up from a few articles in the New Scientist about 2 yrs ago and followed it up with some research online and thought the idea of a supercomputer internet was incredibly interesting...the shear size of the project and the fact that a large number of other scientific developements (like the CERN thing) would be useless without it.

Plus it's a huge job area - scientists capable of creating GRID programs are getting snapped up all over the place - if I was looking to study CS (or any other science) I'd be looking into how I could tailor my course to tap into it.
Ok thanks Pencil Queen, I will read some more about the GRID. Might print some stuff off and read it on the train.
Goat
Anyone have any ideas for a backup?
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Goat)

What do you think?
sliced bread! no... wait - whats the best thing SINCE sliced bread?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (147)
60.49%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.53%
No- I want it (68)
27.98%
No- I don't want it (17)
7%

Watched Threads