The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Cellular and molecular medicine

Hello,

As I think I've failed to get my offer this year I am making myself look on the positive side by proving I still have options and all is not lost.

I like the look of Virology and Immunology which comes under cellular and molecular medicine. On the website it states that for the five programmes within cellular and molecular medicine there are 230 applicants for 42 places.

I was wondering how these places and applicants are distributed i.e. do all programmes have roughly the same number of applicants for the same number of places or is one programme more popular than others? In particular, how many places are there for virology and immunology and is it very competitive?

Thank you. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not that competitive, I think the standard offer is ABB (or it was for last years freshers). For the first two years of the degree which specific programme you're on makes no difference to what you study and which degree you end up with is determined by what combination of units you take in the third year.

Basically, it doesn't matter what you put down now, they group them all together as one subject and don't allocate a certain number of offers to each programme.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Aphasia
It's not that competitive, I think the standard offer is ABB (or it was for last years freshers). For the first two years of the degree which specific programme you're on makes no difference to what you study and which degree you end up with is determined by what combination of units you take in the third year.

Basically, it doesn't matter what you put down now, they group them all together as one subject and don't allocate a certain number of offers to each programme.

Reply 3
Anytime. Ask me if you have any questions about the course =)
Reply 4
Just found this threat - got a conditional for this course come through about 5th of november 2012 for 2013 entry! Any others :')
Reply 5
Got a conditional offer as well! I applied at other universities but I don't think I'll be taking their offers because I don't think the courses are 100% suitable for me (Applied for Cambridge so I had to 'rush' my application. My mistake!). Thankfully, I believe CMM is the right course for me :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Dayat
Got a conditional offer as well! I applied at other universities but I don't think I'll be taking their offers because I don't think the courses are 100% suitable for me (Applied for Cambridge so I had to 'rush' my application. My mistake!). Thankfully, I believe CMM is the right course for me :biggrin:

Did you get the invitation day email come through? and are you applying for medicine or actually intent on CMM? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Chriswhjay
Did you get the invitation day email come through? and are you applying for medicine or actually intent on CMM? :smile:

I initially planned on applying for Medicine but I changed my mind in the end, partially because I don't think I can cope with the competition and long years of study. Maybe in the future, I'll apply for Medicine as a graduate if I do decide to become a doctor(and it'll be easier since I'd have basic Biomedical background already!), though I plan on applying for a PhD before that :biggrin: Other than that, CMM seems like the right course for me and I'm really glad they were offered me a place!

EDIT: Didn't answer your first question. Yup, I got the invite but I won't be going, unfortunately! (International student)
Reply 8
Original post by Dayat
I initially planned on applying for Medicine but I changed my mind in the end, partially because I don't think I can cope with the competition and long years of study. Maybe in the future, I'll apply for Medicine as a graduate if I do decide to become a doctor(and it'll be easier since I'd have basic Biomedical background already!), though I plan on applying for a PhD before that :biggrin: Other than that, CMM seems like the right course for me and I'm really glad they were offered me a place!

EDIT: Didn't answer your first question. Yup, I got the invite but I won't be going, unfortunately! (International student)

Ahh, see its my back up for medicine so I doubt i'm going to go if I get a medical placement or interview come through. Although part of me really wishes they did medicine and cmm, because I really love the look of the course! The virology and immunology aspects look amazing :O! and where are you applying from?:smile:
Reply 9
Ahh, see its my back up for medicine so I doubt i'm going to go if I get a medical placement or interview come through. Although part of me really wishes they did medicine and cmm, because I really love the look of the course! The virology and immunology aspects look amazing :O! and where are you applying from?:smile:

I see. Good luck on that then :biggrin: I know, I can't wait to start the course! I'm applying from Brunei Darussalam. Are you from the UK?
Reply 10
Original post by Dayat
I see. Good luck on that then :biggrin: I know, I can't wait to start the course! I'm applying from Brunei Darussalam. Are you from the UK?

Yeah Londoner here! And Brunei!? Thats craazy! Cant say I know much about Brunei, except theres a stinkingly rich sultan :')
Reply 11
Yeah Londoner here! And Brunei!? Thats craazy! Cant say I know much about Brunei, except theres a stinkingly rich sultan :')

Can't say I disagree :P
I'm currently in my first year doing CMM. It doesn't matter which one you apply for, everyone is treated as CMM for the first two years so theoretically 100% of applicants could have applied for virology and immunology (the one I happen to be on). However, you can express an interest to change degree programme all the way up until the end of 2nd year (or your placement). I am going to change to cancer biology and immunology when I can be bothered to email them :L. I've heard that the extend of it mattering is just the priority given to students choosing 3rd year projects, and cancer biology and immunology is the most competitive for project titles of the 5.

The course is amazing, really gives you a variety and a chance to discover what you're interested in. However...not much virology in the 1st year (about 2 basic lectures) !! Lots of bacteria, immunity, biochemistry and cancer, though.

Ask away if you want to know more.. suggested reading etc
Original post by monkeyslut27
I'm currently in my first year doing CMM. It doesn't matter which one you apply for, everyone is treated as CMM for the first two years so theoretically 100% of applicants could have applied for virology and immunology (the one I happen to be on). However, you can express an interest to change degree programme all the way up until the end of 2nd year (or your placement). I am going to change to cancer biology and immunology when I can be bothered to email them :L. I've heard that the extend of it mattering is just the priority given to students choosing 3rd year projects, and cancer biology and immunology is the most competitive for project titles of the 5.

The course is amazing, really gives you a variety and a chance to discover what you're interested in. However...not much virology in the 1st year (about 2 basic lectures) !! Lots of bacteria, immunity, biochemistry and cancer, though.

Ask away if you want to know more.. suggested reading etc

Hiya, I've just transferred over my offer from Bristol to CMM after much dilberation so I am now due to start CMM later on this year! Any recommendations for reading before I start the course? Are you able to paint a general picture of what the course material is like? I have read and re-read the unit descriptions on Bristol's website but I'm interested in the style of the material - is it more chemistry than biology? Is it just with respect to 'this particular molecule causes this change in a cell', for example? I'm basically just terrified I won't quite gel with the course, although it is the direction I want to go in!

If you could point me in the direction of some material that would highlight the sort of stuff I'll be studying though that would be very cool. Thanks!
Hi everyone, slightly late onto the band wagon, but i'm graduating this year from the Cellular and Molecular course (specifically i'm leaving with Microbiology) so if you have any questions feel free to drop me an email etc. It's a great course :smile:
Reply 15
Hi (I'm very late on the bandwagon...)
I'm starting CMM at Bristol this year. I originally applied for Biochemistry which had an AAA offer, but I only got AAB with the B in chemistry. They rang me up on results day and offered me a place on the CMM course as it has less chemistry, so therefore they accept people with a lower chemistry grade. I was a little bit apprehensive about taking the offer, but I'm glad I took it now. The course looks perfect for me, and I probably would have ended up studying those subject areas if I'd taken biochemistry. From what I've been told, it closely follows the biochemistry course in the first year.
Original post by lvassy
I'm starting CMM at Bristol this year. I originally applied for Biochemistry which had an AAA offer, but I only got AAB with the B in chemistry. They rang me up on results day and offered me a place on the CMM course as it has less chemistry, so therefore they accept people with a lower chemistry grade. I was a little bit apprehensive about taking the offer, but I'm glad I took it now. The course looks perfect for me, and I probably would have ended up studying those subject areas if I'd taken biochemistry. From what I've been told, it closely follows the biochemistry course in the first year.

Hey! Glad you are happy with the outcome - it's quite a good trade off for missing your offer really! See you at our induction in a couple of weeks time.... eeeeekkkk so excited. :biggrin: are you all prepared!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by lvassy

As a current CMMer I can say you made the right decision. It has a lot fewer students but I much prefer the CMM staff and lecturers to the biochem ones. The courses are quite similar in the first and second year and we get invited to their socials etc. And tbh I hated the compulsory biochemistry modules. Last year I knew of 3 freshers who were seriously considering moving from Biochem to CMM but I dont remember whether they did or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by WhamBamJam.
Hey! Glad you are happy with the outcome - it's quite a good trade off for missing your offer really! See you at our induction in a couple of weeks time.... eeeeekkkk so excited. :biggrin: are you all prepared!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. To be honest I really wasn't expecting to get an A in chem, or even be considered by Bristol, so I was thrilled. :smile: Um I think I'm pretty much prepared, I bought most of the reading list and I have my accommodation sorted (staying in Churchill in stoke bishop). What about you?
Reply 19
Original post by Emsies
As a current CMMer I can say you made the right decision. It has a lot fewer students but I much prefer the CMM staff and lecturers to the biochem ones. The courses are quite similar in the first and second year and we get invited to their socials etc. And tbh I hated the compulsory biochemistry modules. Last year I knew of 3 freshers who were seriously considering moving from Biochem to CMM but I dont remember whether they did or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, nice to know, thanks. Yeah I honestly don't know why I didn't apply for it from the start, because the less people and more biology suits me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending