This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
interesting you say that because france's large arab population hasnt stopped the gvt from a move to banning headscarves
no, its the reason.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
i know doesnt even make sense!
Really, don't get vienna going. I'm one of the better debaters in the world, and theres no way I'm trying it again...
J
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
no, its the reason.
yes but u implied european politics were influenced by a muslim lobby. this is evidence proving its not
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Really, don't get vienna going. I'm one of the better debaters in the world, and theres no way I'm trying it again...
J
i know.....been there before! the problem is she never compromises her opnion even when she is blatantly wrong
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
i know doesnt even make sense!
"Further aid payments should cease until the PA explains how it spent more than $6 billion in aid during the last decade, and returns the missing funds to the Palestinian people. But, incredibly, the World Bank last week gave an additional $15 million in aid to the PA, and, over the weekend, the EU awarded the PA $40 million for "reforms and emergency economic aid."
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
"Further aid payments should cease until the PA explains how it spent more than $6 billion in aid during the last decade, and returns the missing funds to the Palestinian people. But, incredibly, the World Bank last week gave an additional $15 million in aid to the PA, and, over the weekend, the EU awarded the PA $40 million for "reforms and emergency economic aid."
source>?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
i know.....been there before! the problem is she never compromises her opnion even when she is blatantly wrong
i think you need to prove im wrong first, dear.
fortunately, JSM and Jonatan have already prevented that.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
source>?
http://www.nationalreview.com/script...0312100915.asp

relaying a well known fact....
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
yes but u implied european politics were influenced by a muslim lobby. this is evidence proving its not
no, its trying to control it. anti-semitic politics appeals to the muslim vote. they have identical ends.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All this talk about wrong or right, I've forgotten what the question was to be able to judge who has the right or wrong answer...
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
All this talk about wrong or right, I've forgotten what the question was to be able to judge who has the right or wrong answer...
there seems to be a few questions. although the underlying one is, america is getting a raw deal..

JSM and Jonatan put the case very well, i thought. couldnt have done better myself..and they kept their cool.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Who asked that one?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Who asked that one?
it seems to be the underlying theme. america gets unproportionate stick..
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There are some really good reasons for people to be Anti-American:

1. The annoying spam e-mail which is always American
2. The way the American government polices the world
3. The way Tony Blair sucks up to America
4. American spelling
5. The way American companies have dominated the internet with spam
6. The way American programmes force Christianity upon people
7. The way Americanisms are spreading through the UK
8. Whatever we have, America has it 10 times bigger
9. July 4th - Independance from Britain day :mad:
10. Bill Gates and his shabby Windoze
11. The way Americans took the country from the indians
12. Their lack of knowledge when it comes to the "British" accent
13. The American accent (which a lot of people hate)
14. The obsession they have with Christianity
15. The way Americans treasure "freedom" like it's something new
16. The way faceless American companies have taken all the good domain names

Before I'm traced and murdered by the FBI, I will just post some reasons why Anti-Americanism is bad: :rolleyes:

1. Americans love the Brits
2. They love our culture and the Royal Family
3. They give us so much which we don't realise - i.e. food, clothes, news
4. Without America, Britain would be financially crippled
5. The American people are so friendly and loveable
6. America gives us so much entertainment - i.e. The Simpsons. Friends
7. America owns most of the newspapers we read
8. America put a McDonalds on every street corner (wrong list? )
9. Americans are just like Brits... like some alternative versions
10. America (like Britain) is against terrorism - a serious evil
11. America produced CurryADD
12. A lot of good music comes from America
13. There are some really nice places in America
14. They helped us in World War 2
15. America gives out huge sums to money to charity
16. America respects freedom
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
Several people probably have some decent reason to be sceptical to american politics and policies, but politicall corectness today is almost equivalent to antiamericanism. I am dead tiered of hearing people blaiming the US (and preferably Israel while they are at it) for everything that is wrong in the world.

All I hear over in Norway is how stupid Bush is, how the US started the war in Iraq just because of Oil (Russia on the other hand was of course not at all biased by the oil market when deciding to oppose the US), and how the US and Israel oppose the UN (meanwhile the UN condems Israels fence as if it was wan arsenal of WMDs ).
i would agree that its hip to be anti american, to some extent even in the more liberal states! ie california, the east coast.

however i was hearing on the radio the other day (NPR the most liberal station there is around here) they were talking about the roots of anti americanism....and apparently it goes back to a french explorer that said that nothing was as big in north america as things were in europe. in france it became such a craze to dislike america, the prime minister when the refridgerator came out actually thought it was a conspiracy on french culinarism!
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
There are some really good reasons for people to be Anti-American:

1. The annoying spam e-mail which is always American
2. The way the American government polices the world
3. The way Tony Blair sucks up to America
4. American spelling
5. The way American companies have dominated the internet with spam
6. The way American programmes force Christianity upon people
7. The way Americanisms are spreading through the UK
8. Whatever we have, America has it 10 times bigger
9. July 4th - Independance from Britain day :mad:
10. Bill Gates and his shabby Windoze
11. The way Americans took the country from the indians
12. Their lack of knowledge when it comes to the "British" accent
13. The American accent (which a lot of people hate)
14. The obsession they have with Christianity
15. The way Americans treasure "freedom" like it's something new
16. The way faceless American companies have taken all the good domain names

Before I'm traced and murdered by the FBI, I will just post some reasons why Anti-Americanism is bad

1. Americans love the Brits
2. They love our culture and the Royal Family
3. They give us so much which we don't realise - i.e. food, clothes, news
4. Without America, Britain would be financially crippled
5. The American people are so friendly and loveable
6. America gives us so much entertainment - i.e. The Simpsons. Friends
7. America owns most of the newspapers we read
8. America put a McDonalds on every street corner (wrong list? )
9. Americans are just like Brits... like some alternative versions
10. America (like Britain) is against terrorism - a serious evil
11. America produced CurryADD
12. A lot of good music comes from America
13. There are some really nice places in America
14. They helped us in World War 2
15. America gives out huge sums to money to charity
16. America respects freedom
how sweet darl. but really, i must protest the christianity thing, in texas, its popular, but in california, people thought church was very unhip.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
i would agree that its hip to be anti american, to some extent even in the more liberal states! ie california, the east coast.

however i was hearing on the radio the other day (NPR the most liberal station there is around here) they were talking about the roots of anti americanism....and apparently it goes back to a french explorer that said that nothing was as big in north america as things were in europe. in france it became such a craze to dislike america, the prime minister when the refridgerator came out actually thought it was a conspiracy on french culinarism!
See this is something that has only just occured to me. I bet when you think about many of the aspects of America that you hate the most, you'll come to the conclusion that this is related to some states in particular. And I'm sorry CurryADD, but I hate all things to do with Southern US of A.

Alltime biggy why i hate Southern USA
(1) THEY CREATED COUNTRY AND WESTERN MUSIC WHICH HAS DOGGED MY HOMELIFE FOR 12 YEARS!!!
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
See this is something that has only just occured to me. I bet when you think about many of the aspects of America that you hate the most, you'll come to the conclusion that this is related to some states in particular. And I'm sorry CurryADD, but I hate all things to do with Southern US of A.

Alltime biggy why i hate Southern USA
(1) THEY CREATED COUNTRY AND WESTERN MUSIC WHICH HAS DOGGED MY HOMELIFE FOR 12 YEARS!!!
if youve never been there, dont diss it. see out in the boondockies, everyone is hick. down in the galleria area (where i live) everyone wears designer stuff and speaks like a normal, educated person.

and texas is alot of fun to live in.......TONS of stuff to do, and for the most part it has a low crime rate, so your parents let you out of the house!
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
During the first golf war all Russia did was critisize the States whilst it continued to sell weapons to a country that illegally invaded Kuwait and murdered it's people. Some countries do nothing but complain, and still do nothin, there will never be a perfect solution. So is it better to complain and do nothing or do something even if only half the people like it..........tough call I guess depends which half you are..........
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In a word yes it is hip to hate America; and to the people that do: use your History books boys and girls just about everything you believe in anti America; pro America has some sort of contradiction or lacks 100% solid facts.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads