art as an easy way out? Watch

This discussion is closed.
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
ok it might just be that i went to a crap school but an interesting idea has been put across, to reduce the number of pupils choosing GCSE as a "doss" a lazy way out. To overcome this, my old school has started making year 9 pupils do the equivalent work to gcse, in year 9 before they choose their options. Only if they prove they can do this work, are they then allowed to take up GCSE arrt. I think this could be a good idea, as an individual case, but what do you think?? Could this work? Is it being done in other schools?
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
god yes they should..
if they had done this at my school there would not have been any chance that i wouldve done it
but then i wouldnt have got my pretty D... *pats*
mikeski
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
ok it might just be that i went to a crap school but an interesting idea has been put across, to reduce the number of pupils choosing GCSE as a "doss" a lazy way out. To overcome this, my old school has started making year 9 pupils do the equivalent work to gcse, in year 9 before they choose their options. Only if they prove they can do this work, are they then allowed to take up GCSE arrt. I think this could be a good idea, as an individual case, but what do you think?? Could this work? Is it being done in other schools?
that is a good idea, but the time we were picking our subjects, we were revising for our KS3, so art pout on top of your KS3 would be a bit hard.
Kat-herin
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
yer i think its a gr8 i dea coz in my school (orleans park) thers like 4 art classes and peeps did it 2 get out of work - they thought it would be easy. stupod ppl. lol :snoozing: nehu wat have ppl chosen 4 ther options?? i chose wood work, history, french and ict. rite bakkk pllllzzzz love katherine mwah!! xxx
Pixelated
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I disagree with Art being taught in schools full-stop.
*bobo*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pixelated)
why? though it does seem a strange subject to be taught amongst the sciences, etc. its the kind of thing ppl should do as an out of curricular activity. i liked art and considered taking it for GCSE but chose not to because i decided i'd rather take achademic subjects. it is deffinately not an easy option though. i don't like the fact that there is not a simple right or wrong answer and the grading is very subjective to the taste of the examiner. i think i was scared to take :p:
Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It should be impressed apon them just how much work will be needed. In our school people had to do art over the hols, so only people wanted to do art would bother with the homework
killerbee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i loved gcse art, and spent more time on it than any other subject (i got 100% in the practical and coursework - just a quick boast!)
but i don't think it should be manditory work because you can't really be taught art and some people do use it as an excuse to doss around
the time could be used to improve literacy and numeracy in students - i did 2 hrs a week of art from year 7-9 and this could have been spent better

yey! extra maths!
Eskimo Melon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
god yes they should..
if they had done this at my school there would not have been any chance that i wouldve done it
but then i wouldnt have got my pretty D... *pats*
DITTO i knew it would be alot of work but i didn't realise it would be that much work! my lowest grade *sobs*
SketchyCanvas~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
good idea, so the students can get a feel for the subject, i picked GCSE Art and i love it! :p: But its LOADS of work!!
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pixelated)
Agreed - not sure of your reasoning but mine is that art is firstly a joke when done as a school subject, secondly if you enjoy it you should do it in your own time and of your own accord as opposed to for an exam (because it's not academic), and thirdly because judging art exams is extremely subjective - how on earth are you supposed to 'mark' a piece of work? One audience may like it, another may not, a bunch of examiners shouldn't be allowed to judge.
Icy Ghost
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
Agreed - not sure of your reasoning but mine is that art is firstly a joke when done as a school subject, secondly if you enjoy it you should do it in your own time and of your own accord as opposed to for an exam (because it's not academic), and thirdly because judging art exams is extremely subjective - how on earth are you supposed to 'mark' a piece of work? One audience may like it, another may not, a bunch of examiners shouldn't be allowed to judge.
I think schools should examine you on both your acedemic ability and your creative ability because those two types of ability are both just as important in my opinion.
You mark a piece of work not because you "like it or not", but if it follows the assessment objectives that you are taught throughout the course.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Frosty Phantom)
I think schools should examine you on both your acedemic ability and your creative ability because those two types of ability are both just as important in my opinion.
You mark a piece of work not because you "like it or not", but if it follows the assessment objectives that you are taught throughout the course.
Well you didn't really understand the point I was driving at - yes, art should be done, but not as a subject ending in an exam, just like an academic subject. People should be encouraged at schools to do a range of things like art, but not for an exam.

You're right, the art exam follows the 'assessment objectives that you are taught throughout the course, but this is stupid. How can you teach people to jump through hoops in art? How can there be certain things you need to do to get good marks? Art is as you say 'creative' and as such shouldn't be treated like you want it to be treated which is as a robotic and ultimately un-creative subject. My point about whether you 'like it or not' was in fact relating to art in real life and whether people 'like it or not' - is this not the ultimate goal? To produce art which can be appreciated by others? In which case, who's to say that one audience won't like your art, and one will? You can't teach something like creativity or originality, and as such you shouldn't be able to examine it.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Art so isn't an easy option...I probably had to work harder for Art than all of my other subjects. It's also one of the toughest to get the top grades in (we must have had a tres lenient moderator, which I am very grateful for!). If you want to doss about, Art's not a good choice 'coz you have to do 4 big final pieces with 4 prep sheets for each piece, and that means working like a trooper throughout lesson time and out of lessons...we used to do 2 hours after school on Thursdays (though that was immensely fun!) and had days at our Art teacher's house...it has a stupid amount of work to be done.
HistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
(because it's not academic)
A Level art certainly is academic though! You have to write absolutely tons of stuff critically appraising work of other artists, and making connections with your own work. On top of all the normal critical studies I had to do (and there were loads,) I also had to do a 1000 - 1500 word essay as well. You also have to be able to explain your own ideas well - this is absolutely vital! There is a lot of academic work in Art as well as the practical work.
At GCSE there is less 'writing', but it was still amusing in my GCSE group to see all the people who chose Art because they thought it would be a doss subject begin to struggle!
SketchyCanvas~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by HistoryStudent)
A Level art certainly is academic though! You have to write absolutely tons of stuff critically appraising work of other artists, and making connections with your own work. On top of all the normal critical studies I had to do (and there were loads,) I also had to do a 1000 - 1500 word essay as well. You also have to be able to explain your own ideas well - this is absolutely vital! There is a lot of academic work in Art as well as the practical work.
At GCSE there is less 'writing', but it was still amusing in my GCSE group to see all the people who chose Art because they thought it would be a doss subject begin to struggle!
:ditto: !! So many students picked Art as a GCSE because they thought it was 'easy' ! :rofl: easy? It was one of my hardest subjects and i loved it thoroughly and just started AS level in Art and still loving every minute of it
And i think Art should be taught in schools as its a creative subject also showing talent and imagination. :top:
Mark S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, but would have sucked if i had wanted to do GCSE art, because i got 12% in my yr 9 art test (can barely draw stickmen)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (253)
27.23%
No (676)
72.77%

Watched Threads