Chemistry help: thermal/kinetic stability Watch

This discussion is closed.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i have a Chemistry AS unit 2 edexcel resit, after dropping it for AS i found a snag, my notes don't seem to understand my notes on the thermal+kinetic stability of compounds.

Anyone shed some light please? a link or useful info would be great.
Rep:
?
any1?
marshal
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
If a system is thermodynamically unstable then the products of reaction are at a lower enthalpy level than the reactants, which means that the reaction should occur. If its kinetically stable tho then the activation energy required to initiate the reaction is to high for the reaction to occur spontaneously...ie. you have to heat the reactants to get a reaction.
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
as you go down the group in group 2 the elements have a higher thermal stability
Rep:
?
(Original post by marshal)
If a system is thermodynamically unstable then the products of reaction are at a lower enthalpy level than the reactants, which means that the reaction should occur. If its kinetically stable tho then the activation energy required to initiate the reaction is to high for the reaction to occur spontaneously...ie. you have to heat the reactants to get a reaction.
ah i thinks thats it!, thx emzie as well
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads