The wrong subjects? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lottie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hello.

I'm starting to think I've taken the wrong subjects. Does anyone else feel they've made a mistake?

Fortunately, I'm really enjoying Geography, History and French but German and English Literature have both failed to grab me this year.

I had my first two English lessons on Friday afternoon and there were two girls, in particular, in my class who seemed really enthusiastic about the subject. They were passionate about it and excited by it; I was rather indifferent. While I like English, I don't feel as if I like it enough to be happy in the class for nine hours a fortnight for the next nine or so months. As a result, I intend on dropping it come Monday morning.

As for German, I feel better about it than English and, if none of the other subjects available appeal to me, I will continue with it but right now I'm looking to see what else is available.

I was hoping for some information about what it's like taking AS Level Chemistry without any other science or maths A Levels, having only done double award science. I really enjoyed GCSE Chemistry lessons and, having checked the AQA syllabus, think the AS Level course looks pretty interesting too but I'm not sure how useful it is in relation to my other subjects. (I'm interested in studying Law at university but have no firm idea yet.)

Other considerations are Govt&Politics, ab initio Spanish and maybe Biology.

I intend on only taking 4 AS Levels, owing mainly to the fact that my friends (all of very similar ability to me) feel content with taking four and my teachers seem to be advising me against five. Furthermore, I'm not really sure I have to drive or motivation to be successful with five subjects and would much rather high UMS marks in four than average ones in five.

I'd really benefit from any input you have.

Thanks in advance.
~Bex~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
TBH I think you should give it at least another week or so, because one lesson really isn't enough to make your mind up.
Icy Ghost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
First Eng Lit lesson I saw these girls being enthusiastic about English Literature, and I was thinking "Maybe this isn't the best subject for me"(because I wasn't that keen on it) but then I went to the second lesson and I remembered why I chose the subject in the first place. I will give it a few more lessons at least until you can finally decide how good/bad it is.

Best of luck!
jointhedots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lottie)
I had my first two English lessons on Friday afternoon and there were two girls, in particular, in my class who seemed really enthusiastic about the subject. They were passionate about it and excited by it; I was rather indifferent. While I like English, I don't feel as if I like it enough to be happy in the class for nine hours a fortnight for the next nine or so months. As a result, I intend on dropping it come Monday morning.
Give it more time. Two lessons just isn't long enough to know, wait a month or so at least until you've really settled into the work before you decide if you really hate it...
Lottie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks for your advice and suggestion to stick it out a bit longer but I did feel like this in Year 11. I had initially planned to take Maths instead of English but changed fairly recently because I thought I'd fare better in English. I still think I'd fare better in English than Maths but English is not my passion. I went into French, Geography and History and instantly felt that was where I belonged but I didn't get that feeling from English and first impressions, while not always truly representative, do matter.

I didn't actually know anything about the content of the English course or anything. As it happens, the course looks really interesting but I realise now that I need good, hard facts, not speculation and wondering and supposition, if you know what I mean.

I don't hate English (my teachers were lovely; my class had lots of people I like in it; the course looked OK) but I definitely feel it's not for me.
PennyRoyalTea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think you should drop eng lit so soon, ..i kind of hated it too and there were loads of people in my class who i thought were more motivated, better at the subject than me and more liked by the teachers but at the end of the year i worked really hard and got the A, and most of the motivated ones got B's or below..

Carry on english and drop it next year! Don't be put off by otehr people
sokas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think you need to give it a little longer and to be honest, shown by your GCSE grades you must be motivated to work and do well, so even if your not enthusiastic about the subject then I would assume that if you put your mind to it you could still do well. A language would be useful to have if you wanted to apply to do a joint law degree e.g. Law with german. So if you are only going to be doing 4 does that mean you plan on dropping one soon? If so then drop the one that you are not enjoying as much.
Chemistry is an interesting subject to do, but by no means is it easy but then again thats all subjective. It is very possible to do without another science subject and I found Maths GCSE sufficient. I also did the AQA board, I would have told you more about the syllabus but you have already read it! Any more questions about specifics then just PM me.

But give it one more week at the least with your English Lit
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How can you like French and not German, they're surely the same syllabus'? Hmm.

You'll be fine in chemistry, double or triple science GCSE's. But it's more boring than German!! I doubt you can get onto a chemistry uni degree with just one science but I'm not sure because it's not very popular these days. I don't see the point in just doing one science A Level TBH, because it doesn't usually open up any more doors for you. But if it's what you want to do, you're more likely to work at it and get a good grade which is useful.

Gov't & Politics is similar to history, thus not really opening more doors for you, though they could support each other. Spanish- hmm, you could pick that up at uni or outside of school. Anyway I'm just randomly speculating, it's up to you!
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't be so quick to drop a subject. I really, really regret dropping Higher History in order to take Higher Maths last year.
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah don't rush into it as others have said.

I wasn't particularly overjoyed by any of my subjects other than Music! But I carried on with them and actually surprised myself by really enjoying them in the end!
Icy Ghost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm also changing Religious Studies to Sociology.
josh1988uk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would give it 2 weeks. If you still dont like it then make the change. Dont leave it much more than 2 weeks though because you will be falling behind in the subject you change to
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by josh1988uk)
I would give it 2 weeks. If you still dont like it then make the change. Dont leave it much more than 2 weeks though because you will be falling behind in the subject you change to
I agree. Politics would probably go better with your other subjects than biology or chemistry, but taking a science would give you some variety and make you look more well-rounded.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads