card security at asda Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Miles)
I'm a believer in chip and pin. It's been very successful on the continent since they swapped from signature only to PINs. If people use their cards responsibily (i.e. cover their input with their other hand to prevent others or a hidden camera seeing the number).
It's not though - my boyf mum lives in France, and it actually did nothing for their crime figures, dispite what the UK Government cited. Card crime is on the up over there too - the biggest problem around Nice is shops using 'fake readers' to steal masses of details which are then sold on on the black market.

I hate chip and pin. Most shops do not give you adequate space to have privacy when using your pin and you are left hunched over the reader like some old hag!
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
I hate chip and pin. Most shops do not give you adequate space to have privacy when using your pin and you are left hunched over the reader like some old hag!
i always check who is arund me and make sure no1 can see what im typin
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not though - my boyf mum lives in France, and it actually did nothing for their crime figures, dispite what the UK Government cited.
Have you got an independent source? Non-Uk government stats I've just found also state the system in France has seen an ~80% reduction in fraud since its introduction ten years ago.

Card crime is on the up over there too - the biggest problem around Nice is shops using 'fake readers' to steal masses of details which are then sold on on the black market.
Our current system is equally open to this. Entering PIN numbers at the cash points is universal regardless of system and fitting a reader in shops is almost unheard of in France because they'd also have to fit a secret camera somewhere.

Tesco have an extendable spring-cable which shoppers can fit in the palm of their hands making it easy to hide the number. I've seen this in a few other places as well and you can always turn around first to see if anyone's watching you if it's stuck down.
*Emily*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MorbidAngel)
i always check who is arund me and make sure no1 can see what im typin
yeah, and at the cash machine, i shield it from the cash machine :p: you can never be too careful...
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Miles)
Have you got an independent source? Non-Uk government stats I've just found also state the system in France has seen an ~80% reduction in fraud since its introduction ten years ago.
Their local newspapers and news reports - esp 'Riviera Radio' (available to all over tinternet)
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Miles)
Tesco have an extendable spring-cable which shoppers can fit in the palm of their hands making it easy to hide the number. I've seen this in a few other places as well and you can always turn around first to see if anyone's watching you if it's stuck down.
Not in any of the Tesco's around here.

I like shopping in Waitrose as they still use the signature system...
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Their local newspapers and news reports - esp 'Riviera Radio' (available to all over tinternet)
You made the assertion, it's not up to me to prove it
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Miles)
You made the assertion, it's not up to me to prove it

I just made a passing comment - not bothered/enraged enough to hunt through French references, putting them through Babel Fish to try to understand them!!!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

The 'Tesco Extra' stores usually use them, if they're successful in protecting privacy they'll be implemented elsewhere no doubt. I'd rather the Chip and PIN to the signature system any day, if I dropped my card in the street and someone picked it up with ill intent, I know which system I'd like protecting my current account. And it doesn't involve writing out my signature on a piece of paper 30 times before strolling into a department store :p:
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Miles)
The 'Tesco Extra' stores usually use them
Not round here, they don't. Nor do the Tesco Metro stores... :mad:
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not saying that signing is any better than chip and pin, but at least if someone finds my card they will have to attempt my signature and could only use it in shops.

If some one lifted my purse out of my bag after watching me input my pin number in a shop then they could empty my account or use my card in store....
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The self service checkouts in Tesco use it, as do the self service machines in all the Odeon cinemas I've been to, not to mention the self service machines at my local Argos Extra.

I guess they have some sort of CCTV on it so if you dispute the transaction later they can verify it for you...sorta like ATM machines
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MorbidAngel)
just been to asda to get some diesel. it a card only/unmanned station. put card in machine and it then give me card back and allowed me to fill. i didnt even have to put a pin code in. anyone could have used my card without knowing the pin. and this is susposed to be safe?
It only makes you sign/enter your PIN for amounts over a certain amount. (Mark doesn't like that sentence :confused: ) Under that, if it's fraudulent then Asda will cover it themselves.

But they'll have CCTV, so don't think about claiming it wasn't you.
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
It only makes you sign/enter your PIN for amounts over a certain amount. (Mark doesn't like that sentence :confused: ) Under that, if it's fraudulent then Asda will cover it themselves.

But they'll have CCTV, so don't think about claiming it wasn't you.
but i get stuff for £5 on my card i still have to enter pin code?
tdg1986
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not saying that signing is any better than chip and pin, but at least if someone finds my card they will have to attempt my signature and could only use it in shops.

If some one lifted my purse out of my bag after watching me input my pin number in a shop then they could empty my account or use my card in store....
On the other hand, someone finds your bag in the street, goes to Sainsburys (or wherever) and gets cashback. Not such a good idea as it seems.

I'd be interested in seeing where you get your figures from for:
a) 30% rise in crime fraud (do you know how much credit card fraud there is in the UK? Around £15 billion a couple of years ago. So 30% extra on that WOULD have made the news
b) Where you get your information about the French system (although I'm guessin you don't want to tell us because you have none).

Face it, Chip & PIN is both more secure, and here to stay.
Lil Lee Lee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Only till 2006! We also have a system where you just shove your card in and you don't have to sign anything, but that's only for the "Scan-Your-Own-Shopping" system, which is pretty much a license to steal anyway. I'm gonna miss that place when I leave!
tdg1986
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lil Lee Lee)
Only till 2006! We also have a system where you just shove your card in and you don't have to sign anything, but that's only for the "Scan-Your-Own-Shopping" system, which is pretty much a license to steal anyway. I'm gonna miss that place when I leave!

Theres a reason why most of the big stores are now Chip & PIN compared to when the technology was first introduced. Up until 31st December 2004 if a retailer swiped a fraudulent card then they were covered insurance wise as the bank would pay for it. From 1st January 2005 the banks stopped doing this and would only cover it for Chip & PIN rather than swipe & sign. So it's in the shops interest to change over. I would suggest Waitrose hasn't changed yet for one of two reason: 1) they're putting off the spending of money on upgrading till infrastructure and buying the keypads; or 2) the age of customer (who tend to be a bit older) don't like to change technology. The shop I work in still lets you override the PIN part of the card and the number of old people that refuse to think that changing to a more secure method is a good idea is stupid. Obviously they don't like change even when it's for the better!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tdg1986)
a) 30% rise in crime fraud (do you know how much credit card fraud there is in the UK? Around £15 billion a couple of years ago. So 30% extra on that WOULD have made the news
b) Where you get your information about the French system (although I'm guessin you don't want to tell us because you have none).

Face it, Chip & PIN is both more secure, and here to stay.
a) - it did. It was all over the BBC at the start of summer.

b) - french media. Google and translate if you're that bothered!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
One media arguement on the bad points of chip and pin from a v.quick google...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...562681,00.html
Daragh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
All stores have a fraud limit. Up to that point they will not question things like authorisation. You mentioned about it cutting off after £20 - that is probabl Asda Petrol's fraud limit.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads