Key Skills Watch

Bape
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but at my new college, we HAVE to do Key Skills. What are they? All ive heard from people is that they dont really count for anything (Uni wise). Anyone else doing/done them?
Multiplexed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We had to Key Skills aswell.

There are 3 types of key-skills:

communication - basically GCSE type English...
Application of number - mathsy type stuff
ICT -

If you do computing, you won't be doing ICT. If you're doing English, no communication. Maths, no Application of number.

It depends what course you want to do for them to matter or the uni you're going to. Some uni's accept them and some not, most of them don't.

Me, personally. I didn't go to the ICT Exam cus i had an English exam. But it was pointless to me.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
Some unis accept it, but few top ones do, you need to check on UCAS.

I don't HAVE to do them, but have chosen IT key skills level 2 as an easy option, since they make you do a fourth subject in your final year.

It can't harm you to have it...
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've done level 3 communication key skills. We need to do an exam and compile a portofilo. Some universities accept them, while most of them don't. If you do a subject that is related to the key skills, all you need to do is compile a portfolio and pass your A-levels, you will achieve the key skills automatically (e.g. if you do A-level ICT, you will be exempted from the ICT key skills exam and portfolio. After you passed A-level ICT, you will achieve the key skills automatically followed by your ICT grade). One of my friends does English and Maths at A-level. They were exempted from the exam, but need to compile a portfolio to pass the key skills. You would recieve a key skills certificate like other A-levels.

Level 3 key skills is worth 20 points.

http://www.qca.org.uk/603.html
Bape
Rep:
?
Thanks guys!
(Original post by Multiplexed)
If you do computing, you won't be doing ICT. If you're doing English, no communication. Maths, no Application of number.
Really?! Im doing maths, and the people workin gat the college put me down for the numbers one! What is it like...hard...time consuming? Gcse kind of stuff? Is it just one exam or 3 moduels like AS or something?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lil_J)
Thanks guys!

Really?! Im doing maths, and the people workin gat the college put me down for the numbers one! What is it like...hard...time consuming? Gcse kind of stuff? Is it just one exam or 3 moduels like AS or something?
Since you are doing Maths at A-level, all you need to do is compile a portfolio and pass your A-level Maths exam, and the key skills would be achieved.

Not sure about the difficulty. Since it's a level 3 key skill, I don't think it would be like GCSE, as GCSE is like level 2. It's only one exam.
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lil_J)
Thanks guys!

What level you doing? Level 2 is meant to be equivelant to a GCSE, so level 3 must be near AS.

In my level 2 one it's just a portfolio and one exam, multiple choice.
Bape
Rep:
?
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
What level you doing? Level 2 is meant to be equivelant to a GCSE, so level 3 must be near AS.
In my level 2 one it's just a portfolio and one exam, multiple choice.
Er....i dont have a clue. I havent even started yet. College starts back on monday (actual lessons on thursday). All i know is that when i applied for college i was told that i have to do key skills, and was put down for apllication of numbers. Is it just one year or two?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lil_J)
Er....i dont have a clue. I havent even started yet. College starts back on monday (actual lessons on thursday). All i know is that when i applied for college i was told that i have to do key skills, and was put down for apllication of numbers. Is it just one year or two?
In our school, we did the key skills in our AS year only. For student who don't take English, Maths, or ICT at A-level will have to do one of those key skill exams and compile a portfolio in the AS year only too. They did the exam in January, and all the portfolios were handed in in June.
Bape
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
In our school, we did the key skills in our AS year only. For student who don't take English, Maths, or ICT at A-level will have to do one of those key skill exams and compile a portfolio in the AS year only too. They did the exam in January, and all the portfolios were handed in in June.
When you say portfolio, do you just mean coursework? Is it a lot? Will i have to sit the exam since im doing AS math?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lil_J)
When you say portfolio, do you just mean coursework? Is it a lot? Will i have to sit the exam since im doing AS math?
You won't need to sit the key skills exam because you are doing A-level Maths. All you need to do is compile a portfolio and pass A-level Maths to pass the key skills.

The portfolio is not coursework. You would need to gather some evidence from homework and/or coursework you have done to prove that you have achieved some parts of your 'application of number' key skills.

If you know which exam board you are following for your 'application of number' key skills, I could find more information for you.
Bape
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
You won't need to sit the key skills exam because you are doing A-level Maths. All you need to do is compile a portfolio and pass A-level Maths to pass the key skills.
The portfolio is not coursework. You would need to gather some evidence from homework and/or coursework you have done to prove that you have achieved some parts of your 'application of number' key skills.
If you know which exam board you are following for your 'application of number' key skills, I could find more information for you.
Ok thanks m8. Er, nah i dont know what exam board...really wish i'd remembered to ask now! Start on monday, so guess i'll just have to wait for them to actually give me some info on it. Thanks for the info...would rep you, but it counts for nothing! lol
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lil_J)
Ok thanks m8. Er, nah i dont know what exam board...really wish i'd remembered to ask now! Start on monday, so guess i'll just have to wait for them to actually give me some info on it. Thanks for the info...would rep you, but it counts for nothing! lol
You're welcome.

Anyway, I gave you some links of the exam boards to look at, so you would get an idea:

AQA - http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-8...50-W-SP-04.pdf (p.35 -37)
OCR - http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...39dKUr5R3A.pdf (p.54 - 59)
Edexcel - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/140039.pdf

You can rep me if you want although it worths nothing.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Key Skills is a joke, the "exam" takes place in the library, where people can consult books, or request help from friends.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lil_J - as I said above you will need to have some sample work that will demonstrate some parts of the 'application of number' key skills.

An example is shown below (from AQA):

N3.1 - Plan, and interpret information from two different types of sources,
including a large data set.

Evidence must show you can:
• plan how to obtain and use the information required to meet the
purpose of your activity;
• obtain the relevant information; and
• choose appropriate methods for obtaining the results you need
and justify your choice.

Basically, you will need to collect evidence in the bullet points to meet N3.1. You would need to do the same for the other N3.2 and N3.3, etc, but with different evidence. After you compiled your portfolio with the evidence of N3.1, N3.2, and N3.3, hand it in and pass your A-level Math exam, and you would pass the key skills exam.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I believe its a complete waste of time. I'm doing maths already and have to do application of number. It takes about an hour per week of lesson time, and maybe a little homework, but that time could be used more efficiently on my other subjects.
Naino
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
At york college we had to do Key Skills in the 1st year - what a waste of time.
We had to do a multiple choice IT paper and prepare a portfolio of work and do an english exam and another portfolio. I did the exams but not the portfolios.
No Uni worth its salt seems to accept the ucas points you get from key skills... so i just bunked off the lessons. (Not recommendin this as a course of action)
stratomaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had a lesson last week but i'm not going back. They said they'll be punishment but i'll wait and see what that will be :rolleyes:
Mark S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing key skills numeracy, which, apparently, level 3 in this is equivalent to an 'A' in GCSE higher tier maths. Lot of coursework apparently, but hey, only 1 period a week.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
I have to do all 3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads