Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i have the option of doin either s1 or m1 , which do guys think is easier.

i dont care if s1 is boring , i just wanna know, which one do u guys think is easier to get 80% + in ??????

plz dont give comments such as s1 is boring , it not real maths ect..............

ReputationRep:
    I found M1 brilliantly easy and Maths isn't my strong point! But then I had a year of AS Physics behind me which probably helped...

My friends who took Further Maths (and thus did both M1 and S1) all preferred M1 though.

ReputationRep:
    Do M1! I taught myself in 3 days and got 92/100, and some kid scraped an A with intense tuition 1 hour before the exam. S1 is boring, not real maths, and bloody hard compared to M1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trolley)
    S1 is boring, not real maths, and bloody hard compared to M1.
    Really? I thought stats was meant to be easier....i have to choose between these too.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say M1 is bit more difficult to grasp at first, but it gets a whole lot easier after you understand the basic concepts. So I would tend to agree with Trolley, DO M1!

ReputationRep:
    I always found M1 difficult for some reason. Perhaps I didn't learn the principles thoroughly enough, or didn't do enough work. According to people I know, S1 is meant to be less demanding but more tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trolley)
    Do M1! I taught myself in 3 days and got 92/100, and some kid scraped an A with intense tuition 1 hour before the exam. S1 is boring, not real maths, and bloody hard compared to M1.
    WOWWW! 1 hour!
    PErsonally i'd do S1 for the ease. M1 you might get a unlucky with the paper. but as always if you know your stuff well enough there's no problem.

ReputationRep:
    I have done both M1 and S1. I preferred M1, by a long shot. It is much more like proper maths. S1 is not hard though. It is probably easier than M1, but M1 has the edge as it is much more interesting.

I got the same mark in both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd)
    I preferred M1, by a long shot. It is much more like proper maths.
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil_J)
    What do you mean?
    I suppose really I mean M1 is harder.

In S1 some of the stuff (to me atleast) felt completely and utterly ridiculous. Drawing stem and leaf diagrams for instance.

I have to admit towards the end of the (Heinmann Edexcel) S1 book it does get more interesting with Random Variables and the Normal Distribution.

I have now started S2 and I have to say I am enjoying it almost as much as M2.

----

To answer your earlier query: Is stats harder?

Well, I didn't think so. But lots of people must, because the grade conversions (raw score to UMS) are much lower for Stats than Mechanics or Core, indicating that people do worse on the exams -- i.e. find them harder. It may just be that the more people who are good at Maths choose mechanics. This is certainly true in my school.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is easier than M1, but as M1 is more interesting you get into it more, so do better. That's my theory anyway! That's why D1 always has low raw mark scores when converting to UMS, cause who wants to know 5 different ways to sort numbers in ascending order really?

ReputationRep:
    S1 is easier, some stuff from GCSE and the only new topic is regression I think.

ReputationRep:
    With Mechanics, unlike statistics, there is no place for you to lose marks in the exam without realising it, in statistics exams marks just go slipping every which way. However, UMS is indeed more competitive for M1 than S1, most grammar/private schools do mechanics as opposed to stats.

I would say that I found the memory part of S1 the hardest, then S1 method, then M1 method, so I would say S1 is harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    S1 is easier than M1, but as M1 is more interesting you get into it more, so do better. That's my theory anyway! That's why D1 always has low raw mark scores when converting to UMS, cause who wants to know 5 different ways to sort numbers in ascending order really?
    I think you are very right indeed.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is easier, and, if you're doing AQA at least, the papers are very predictable. With M1, it's much more interesting and stimulating (and thus enjoyable) but the papers can be more inconsistent with regards to difficulty. I'd definitely say go for M1 though, you can get 80+ in either if you're good at maths, it should be more about which you will enjoy most and find most stimulating (IMO).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    With Mechanics, unlike statistics, there is no place for you to lose marks in the exam without realising it, in statistics exams marks just go slipping every which way.
    Ah, this is also very true.

ReputationRep:
    What!?!?!?! Decision maths is very interesting, I could do Simplex tableaus and critical path analysis all day, especially writing it out all neat and tidy...

GO TEAM DECISION MATHS!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for M1, as it's more interesting for a start, it's not as heavy on calculations, it's not easy to make silly mistakes like it is in S1, there's not much to learn (except the SUVAT equations... at first you'll never think you can remember them all as they all sound so similar, but you'll get it eventually), and, if you do Physics, it will probably cover most of the Physics module on forces and motion.

KAISER_MOLE, I see that you like decision maths. I've only just started it and it seems rather tedious, so far I've done bubble sort, quick sort, bin-stuffing or whatever it's called, and binary search. Does it get more interesting than this?

ReputationRep:
    KAISER_MOLE, I see that you like decision maths. I've only just started it and it seems rather tedious, so far I've done bubble sort, quick sort, bin-stuffing or whatever it's called, and binary search. Does it get more interesting than this?
    Perhaps that's where I went wrong, only did the first chapter then decided S1 and S2 would be more interesting than the decision modules.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is easier, but M1 is more Maths!

D1 has its annoyances...

If in doubt, do them all...

...then you're entitled to a global opinion.

Aitch

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.