This discussion is closed.
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Would it be silly to choose an insurance that asks for the same grades as my first choice? I've already done my statement of dec and sent it in, so it doesn't really matter, but my insurance which is lower than my 1st choice offer is a place i don't particularly wanna go to, so would it have been wiser to have chosen somethign i would have preffered to go to if i didnt get my first choice, even if the grade offer is the same as my 1st choice? Would the 2nd choice uni consider lowering it cuz i missed the grades, or would they just be offended that i chose em 2nd?
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
Would it be silly to choose an insurance that asks for the same grades as my first choice? I've already done my statement of dec and sent it in, so it doesn't really matter, but my insurance which is lower than my 1st choice offer is a place i don't particularly wanna go to, so would it have been wiser to have chosen somethign i would have preffered to go to if i didnt get my first choice, even if the grade offer is the same as my 1st choice? Would the 2nd choice uni consider lowering it cuz i missed the grades, or would they just be offended that i chose em 2nd?
It's only worth doing if you think the uni is more likely to accept you if you miss the grades than the first choice. Clearing is risky, but if you definitely don't wanna go to the uni with the lower offer then don't put them as insurance just for the hell of it as they don't have to release you into clearing if you miss your grades for first choice come results day.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
unfortunatley i don't like any of the unis in clearing either
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
it is completely pointless having an insurance offer that is the same or higher as your first choice. the way ucas works is that if u get the grades that qualify you for you first choice, you are bound by your earlier decision to go to that university, unless you withdraw from ucas altogether for that year. and if you dont get the grades for your first choice uni, then by default u will also miss the grades for your insurance offer, which completely misses the point of having an insurance offer (sumwhere to go to if you miss your first offer). u'd be relying on BOTH unis to consider you because you missed the grades. if you don't want to go to your second choice uni, then just withdraw from ucas.
TommyP
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm considering doing the same thing. All my offers have been AAB/ABB so far with the final 2 likely to be similar - or higher (assuming that they even give me an offer...touch wood!!) and there isn't one offer which is a lot lower than the rest so why not just choose two choices that are the same? I know it's risky but I'd much rather take this risk and reapply if I miss them both than get in somewhere that is my last choice (both places offering ABB are my last two preference unis.)
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
it is completely pointless having an insurance offer that is the same or higher as your first choice
it's not completly pointless, i did the same, notts and manchester both offered me ABB for psych but i though that manchester was more likely to take me with BBB or even BBC in my worse case scenario so chose that as insurance

i went and got AAA so ah well but choosing ones with the same grades shouldnt be a problem really
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
30.43%
No (14)
60.87%
Don't know (2)
8.7%

Watched Threads