Illness Watch

This discussion is closed.
cutie_catty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I got BBC at AS level and need either ABB/BBB to do pharmacy at uni but i have been very ill, spent bout 4 months in hosp of this yr!! Do u think the uni's will take this into consideration!

Please help im v stressed
chriswhit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Your reference should help in that it will give your referee a chance to explain the nature of the problems and the effects they have had.
natalie_p
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would guess at yes, but the best thing to do is contact the unis u want to apply to! That teamed with maybe a few resits an they will probably let u!

Good Luck xxx
Rivey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can always point it out, yes, but I would think about resitting your AS exams in January. Chances are you might have an A-Level module in January anyway, and even if you don't, it's always better to use this opportunity to try and boost your grades. If you do raise your UMS points, you won't have to worry so much about performing well in the summer. Also, if you retake and score lower than when you sat the exam in June, they count the higher mark. So really, you have nothing to lose.
cutie_catty
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ye i was thinking of resiting S1 in maths, one chem exam and one bio exam which i completely failed. then shud have A in maths, A/B in chem n hopefully B in bio
coraliescott
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Heya,

I got ACD at A-Level but the course I wanted to do at University of Kent wanted ABB/AAB... I had a month off school during year 13 so my head of year got me to write a letter containing all details of my illness and times, dates, amount of school I missed etc and I gave it to the careers adviser who in turn Called my Uni AND wrote them a letter explaining the situation.

Luckily I actually was accepted by Kent with my ACD instead of ABB and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Coralie x x x
coraliescott
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
P.S. The letter she wrote contained my letter also.
Holleh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hiya. Illness can be taken into account. For the last year i missed pretty mucyh everything at college due to illness and i was in and out of hospital too. If you are on any medication, it is worth finding out if you can get some extra time in exams, i got an extra 15 minutes in my biology a level exam which in the end i didnt actually need, i finished the same time as everyone else but it helped me relax a bit more in the exam knowing i didnt have to rush. My college was very helpfull and wrote to my first choice university, my doctors did also just to let them know the situation. I did ok in my exams overall, i got 300 points and got into my first choice. Considering you got those grades when you have been ill, you should be able to do really well when you are better.

It will be worth looking at different universities and find an insurance with lower entry requirments just in case.
Lillybut
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cutie_catty)
I got BBC at AS level and need either ABB/BBB to do pharmacy at uni but i have been very ill, spent bout 4 months in hosp of this yr!! Do u think the uni's will take this into consideration!

Please help im v stressed
I think above all the uni's you apply to would be more than impressed that you got BBC when you were ill!!!! I think its a brilliant achievement and best of luck for the future.

xxx
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I suffered significant illness this year. I would retake if I was you. Those grades are good considering what you went through.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads