Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have posted this here, so that it can be noticed more than if it was in debate. I have started it because I was reading the Daily Mail today and the Saturday Essay was all about the 9/11 disaster. It had a massive picture of the twin towers being destroyed, and I hate looking at pictures like that because they are awful, and just upset me.

It seems like only yesterday that I came home from school to see these two building falling to pieces, and four years on and what? There has been numerous other attacks on America, and on England. London in particular. And will London be on the news each year in July, for the terrorist bombings? Next year in July, will London be on the news as much as New York is in September?

And the question is, have things just gone from bad to worse?

The world did change on 11 September 2001 but in ways that were not predicted at the time. It changed because the attacks led not just to the war on terror, but also to the war on Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4227602.stm

ReputationRep:
    Yep. The usual haphazard politicians have of dealing with this sort of thing has really made things worse. Pursuing their own interests with scant regards for public opinion home and abroad really hasn't done them any favours.

I don't remember what other attacks there have been on America since Sept 11th though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kontroversial)
    II have started it because I was reading the Daily Mail today...
    Wrong 'un...

ReputationRep:
    My dad is collecting the Free DVD's from them, and I was bored so I picked it up, I think it was the Mail anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe it's been almost 4 years, thats gone so quick in my opinion. I'm not sure if I can say things have got worse, but I can definately say things haven't got any better.

ReputationRep:
    It was shocking for like the rest of the week in which it happened, but then I got bored of seeing the same shot of the planes crashing into then and the same piece of 'holy cow, holy cow' footage. Now i'm just totally desensetized to most things like that.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when it first happened the TV companies obviously hadn't had time to edit out the swear words as I remember seeing a piece of footage where the dude filming was screaming,"Oh SH*T!!!!!!!!!!"

It still doesn't seem real.

ReputationRep:
    It's really sad that so few people have replied to this.

Umn, here's my 'speech' I wrote when I was 14, a year after (so I apologise for bad grammar etc, it was for GCSE English :s: )
    On 9/11 I left school after a normal day, in every possible way. Except this day wasn’t normal, in retrospect, luckily anything but. As soon as I got into my mum’s car I knew something important was on the radio, it was almost an instinctive feeling. I assumed it would be something boring and it wouldn’t affect me, just like the majority of the news. My views were soon drastically altered when I learnt the details of the tragedy. I watched the documentaries on the television all evening. I don’t know why I did, it only made me more shocked and upset, the next image was always far more touching than the last. But I couldn’t bring myself to change the channel, the shock that three aeroplanes could be taken control of and crashed into buildings simply to kill as many people as possible, innocent civilians, was too overwhelming.

President Bush was understandably angry. The attacks on the World Trade Centre were not simply tragedies, but acts to rock peace. President Bush announced he wanted the person that was behind the attacks to pay for what they’d done. Fair enough, each single person that lost their lives on that fateful day was just going about their lives, doing their jobs and each person left another family grieving.

America accused Islamic group al-queda, and it’s leader Osama Bin Laden of orchestrating the attack. He hid under the Taliban, who didn’t give him up. On October 7th President Bush’s patience ended and he ordered an all-out attack on Afghanistan. 3500 afghan civilians died as a result, almost the amount that were killed in the world trade centre attacks. The war there is still not over and attentions have switched to Iraq, where the remainder of the revenge is likely to be served.

It’s amazing to think it’s only a year ago. What happened on 9/11 has only shocked me, I can’t believe something like that can happen and people can celebrate it in some countries. Some groups came forward and claimed they’d been behind the attacks simply for the media attention, that’s pathetic, they must really be that ignorant as to not care that the people that were killed on 9/11 were innocent and they didn’t deserve their lives to be cut short, just like that.

It makes me angry when people say that the terrorists only did it because they truly believe they were doing right, or we should forget about it, they’ve made their point and that’s that. When in real life lots of tapes were discovered of Bin Laden’s men training, from after 9/11, to hijack cars, shoot, and make bombs, and men don’t train for nothing, do they? They didn’t simply do it because they are Islamic, there are millions of Muslims around the world and they aren’t trying to murder people are they?

We now know almost 4000 people died in the World Trade Centre attacks, about ten times that amount die from aids and other diseases around the world everyday. But the events of 9/11 were so horrible, so sick, you don’t expect to turn on your television and watch miniature people jumping from skyscrapers, in New York. Can you imagine how they felt? Maybe they wanted to die quickly or they didn’t want or be burnt alive, maybe they thought they had a better chance of surviving. But none of them live to tell the tail.

A year later the world had a minutes silence. And the television was once again filled with programs about the attacks, except this time I avoided them as much as I could, I suppose I didn’t want to be confronted with it again.

The fire fighters that ran into the burning building, not thinking about themselves have been described as heroes. They were just doing their jobs, as was everyone else in the world trade centre, are they heroes?

Nobody really knows what the conclusion to this will be, perhaps it’s better if we don’t know. Maybe 9/11 happened for a reason, maybe it was meant to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Yep. The usual haphazard politicians have of dealing with this sort of thing has really made things worse. Pursuing their own interests with scant regards for public opinion home and abroad really hasn't done them any favours.
    Hasn't really done the rest of us any favours, either.

the terrorist attacks have become more frequent and terrorist activity has increased since 9/11, jsut look at the madrid bombings, london attacks and failed attacks, there have also been the bali bombings, belsan siege and probably many others which i am forgetting, but since spetember 11th 2001 the whole world had become a more cautious place, the terrorist threat is increasing and the world is trying to fight the terrorists but yet to no avail, things will change becasue intellagence is getting better and better all the time, and MI5, MI6, FBI and other agancies are working around the clock to beat terrorism. and the only good thing about having George W Bush as President is his approach to terrorism, if Al Gore had been president then there would have not been the response to terrorists we have had, and bush has increased Homeland security for America and Tony Blair has done the same for the united kingdom, there is one thing that makes our countries differrent, us british have the stance of united we stand divided we fall, we will stand up to terrorists and say there is nothing you cxan do to break the british spirit, whereas the americans have the American Dream, and sadly thats all it is, this post is not aimed at being nasty to america, but to state, the coverage of 7/7 will no where be as vast as the American attacks of 9/11 because us british citizens are not affraid and we know waht has happened and don't need to reflect onm it, we just get stronger everytime something else happens!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.