This discussion is closed.
Tnacilppa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

I am in the pool - as a lot of people seem to be at the moment.

I was thinking of re-applying when the inevitable happens and I receive the final rejection. I was wondering whether or not GCSE and AS Grades are really important.

I read another post (I have lost it now or I would post there) with an email explaining why someone had not got a place. It mentioned that their GCSE and AS grades were good but not as outstanding as some of the best candidates. This seemed to be one of the main criteria for rejection.

If I do take a year off I would hope to get an offer next year (although there is obviously no guarantee). So I would be interested to know what people thought my chances were:

I got 2x A* ; 4xA and 3xB for GCSE

2xA ; 1xB and 1xC (hated the Renaissance history course!!)

Having said that I do genuinely love my subject - English Lit. and have read probably as much as any Oxbridge candidate. I also think interview is one of my strongest points.

Anyway sorry if this seems helplessly self induldgent but I know there are probably a fair few people in a similar (if not the same boat).

Thanks in advance for any input you give!

Adam
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
Hi,

I was thinking of re-applying when the inevitable happens and I receive the final rejection. I was wondering whether or not GCSE and AS Grades are really important.

I read another post (I have lost it now or I would post there) with an email explaining why someone had not got a place. It mentioned that their GCSE and AS grades were good but not as outstanding as some of the best candidates. This seemed to be one of the main criteria for rejection.

If I do take a year off I would hope to get an offer next year (although there is obviously no guarantee). So I would be interested to know what people thought my chances were:

Having said that I do genuinely love my subject - English Lit. and have read probably as much as any Oxbridge candidate. I also think interview is one of my strongest points.

Anyway sorry if this seems helplessly self induldgent but I know there are probably a fair few people in a similar (if not the same boat).

Adam
I know exactly how you feel, read my "Hmmm reapplying?" thread! Glad to know someone else is thinking of doing this. Your post has made me realise that maybe it was my grades that got me down...people say they don;t matter but they obviously do. I got AABB and if there are so many applicants, thats bound to be a distinguishing factor.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,

Adam
Firstly, English Lit is a very competitive course so you must have done well to get into the pool which shows you are definitely capable enough . Your AS results probably played a part (I understand you had to fill in all your module marks on a Cambridge form?) however if you can show them you can score As in your A2s then you be in with a better chance next year.

AS grades and GCSE grades do play a part in the selection process but I wouldn't say it's the most important factor (plenty of people get in without the whole '8A*s 2A*s, AAAA') - I would say they put a lot more weight on the interview.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personally I wouldn't bother wasting a year of my life if I got in to an equally (or near equally for those who believe Cambridge is the dog's bits) good university. Who knows, you might have fun at this "lesser" university.
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know of someone who got rejected for english literature from Cambridge who got 100% in her AS English Lit. She wasn't even pooled. So I don't think they consider grades as overwhelmingly important, if you are in the pool then you are good enough, so you stand as much chance as anyone else. Also, if you've read widely and performed well at interview and, most importantly shown a passion for your subject, then they could only reject you due to restrictions on places, unless your grades are used as a deciding factor.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicman)
I know of someone who got rejected for english literature from Cambridge who got 100% in her AS English Lit. She wasn't even pooled. So I don't think they consider grades as overwhelmingly important, if you are in the pool then you are good enough, so you stand as much chance as anyone else. Also, if you've read widely and performed well at interview and, most importantly shown a passion for your subject, then they could only reject you due to restrictions on places, unless your grades are used as a deciding factor.
But i doubt they look at UMS's - only grades?

I mean, if someone got AABB, they wouldn't look at UMS's to compare that person to someone who got AAAA (even if the former person's A's were higher). But if two people got AAAA maybe THEN they'd consider UMSs.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My mate's brother managed to get more than 100% in A-Level Maths thanks to this UMS thing. He's now at Peterhouse in the second year of a medical degree. It takes people like that to get into Cambridge it would seem.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
My mate's brother managed to get more than 100% in A-Level Maths thanks to this UMS thing. He's now at Peterhouse in the second year of a medical degree. It takes people like that to get into Cambridge it would seem.
How can you get more than 100%?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Around 100% in raw marks maybe :confused: Though I think it would still look like 100% UMS though?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Around 100% in raw marks maybe :confused: Though I think it would still look like 100% UMS though?
Yeah if for example, if 98 raw marks translates to 100 UMS, 100 raw marks would seem to count for more than 100UMS, ie. over 100% even though the UMS would be the same.

*shrug*
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I don't know, I think it's a rounding-up thing. But he did. Strange.
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,

Adam
From my observation, your GCSE grades are in the lower range of what Cambridge take but would by no means rule you out - however, it's not just grades, as such, it's what subjects they were. For example, were your 2xA* in maths and English lit, or in business studies and IT? Were your 3XB in RE, IT and art, or in French, biology and history? You get the drift. Also, your AS grades being lowish, on top of your GCSE grades being lowish, is a definite turn off. You'd have to be a) from a low performing school, which would provide an excuse and/or b) a fantastic interview performer, to get in with those, on top of the lowish GCSEs. If you end up by getting all As at A-level, I'd consider applying again, otherwise I think you could be wasting your time. But if you really want it, why not go for it anyway, and sod to everyone and their doomy advice?
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,

Also relevant is something from another thread: Adelz said this:
"I got 4A*'s, 4A's and 1B at GCSE, 3A1B at A/S Level.. "

and she got pooled, and she just got a letter from her college, which said they hadn't made a final decision, but she probably was NOT going to get in. They said she was an excellent candidate, with a good interview, but her grades were not as good as some others. So obviously, both grades and interview are important. But her course was architecture which I think might be unusually competitive, haven't looked at the stats lately.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks for all the help. I am almost certainly going to take a year out and try again! Good luck to everyone who still hasn't heard.
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by redcat)

and she got pooled, and she just got a letter from her college, which said they hadn't made a final decision, but she probably was NOT going to get in. They said she was an excellent candidate, with a good interview, but her grades were not as good as some others. So obviously, both grades and interview are important. But her course was architecture which I think might be unusually competitive, haven't looked at the stats lately.
The points you've mada are very valid. It's right that GCSE grades and AS grades aren't given total importance but a tendency is growing for peoplle to think they are less important than they are. There are plenty of applicants with 4 As at AS and predicted at A2 on top of almost complete sets of A*s. Those levels of grades provide a strong base for a candidate and rightly so they are arguably a more objective measure of achievement than the views of one or two tutors in interviews totalling less than an hour. I think it's important that people who have good but not perfect grades but who are really keen on their subjects should apply or reapply but recognise that they will then need to compensate with strong essays/test/interview performance etc.
adelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by redcat)

LOL HEY screw you I'm a HE !!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads