National Anthem Watch

This discussion is closed.
daniel_williams
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Beekeeper)
tbh I don't really care, it's not as though it really has any significance. Most people in England don't know what our national anthem actually is, let alone the words to it!
i have to agree its true that most people don't know the words to it, and to be honest its quite sad that people aren't patriotic about their country anymore, but then again its the way the world is going. before long we won't care about anyone but ourselves, but jerusalem is a great tune.. very powerful, but people would have to bother to learn the words to that, as they can't really be mumbled like the words to god save te queen!
Apricot Fairy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Jerusalem is brilliant, but no one actually knows what it's about, so I'd hate for it to be the National Anthem. I can't believe UKIP actually used it in their campaign.

:puke:

William Blake would be turning in his grave.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by daniel_williams)
i have to agree its true that most people don't know the words to it, and to be honest its quite sad that people aren't patriotic about their country anymore
What "country" are you referring to?
miaforshort
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
while jerusalem has a fab tne, lots of gusto etc etc which is a fab national anthem, the lyrics are kinda crap. just my opinion. jesus clearly never came to england, so why should we pretend that he did
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
rule brittania
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Woodsy)
I did suggest Danny Boy - which for me does not have Nationalist or Unionist tones to it (despite the fact its real name is Londonderry Air - but we'll forgive that). A de factor National Anthem for Northern Ireland does not have to represent being part of the UK, simply celebrating Northern Ireland as the six north-eastern counties of Ireland.
Well, it does mention Catholic religious rituals. Admittedly that's the only piece of it which alienates it - and is admittedly minor.

(Original post by Woodsy)
I'd just like to point out that Danny Boy is the lyrics and Londonderry Air the tune. Thus, the song is composed of both sides of the Northern Ireland community.
The words were written by an Englishman if memory serves.

(Original post by shmadishma)
Actually, the Church of England believes that England is Jerusalem as in ancient texts it is said that Jerusalem will a) Split off from the/a mainland, i.e. be an island, b) will spawn colonies, and c) will change its name. This is also why there are so many sects across the world who believe they are a lost tribe of Isreal, e.g. sects in Japan, etc. Hence, the lyrics do make sense in a Church of England context.
While it sounds like an interesting theory, there's one glaring fault here, specificially that England is not and island...

(Original post by Lord Waddell)
You're right. The Scottish anthem sucks, frankly. I don't particularly mind the words but the tune leaves something to be desired. We should have some sort of rousing tune that makes us proud to be Scottish. I mean, if Britain as a whole has God save the Queen (which is pretty awe-inspiring) and France has the Marsailles, why can't a Scottish composer write up something just as good?
I like Scotland the Brave, but it appears to be more of a military march than an anthem these days. Still, far preferable to that horrible football fan's dirge.

Another good one is For A' That, the Burns song that was sang at the opening of the Scottish Parliament. Rather pleasant.

(Original post by Kew)
Actually, 'Britain' only refers to the island containing England, Scotland and Wales; it's 'United Kingdom' you're thinking of.
Well, Great Britain is the island. I would argue that 'Britain' can extend to Northern Ireland too and in usage often does.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LibertineNorth)
Another good one is For A' That, the Burns song that was sang at the opening of the Scottish Parliament. Rather pleasant.
Yeah i liked that a lot when it was sung at the opening but im not sure if its much better as a rousing anthem.
Scubar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i say we should change it to the Sex Pistols version
Lord Waddell
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Yeah i liked that a lot when it was sung at the opening but im not sure if its much better as a rousing anthem.
I wouldn't mind 'Land of Hope and Glory' as the Scottish Anthem but I think that has been appropriated by the English, and is generally seen by Scots as an English song, but still...
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lord Waddell)
I wouldn't mind 'Land of Hope and Glory' as the Scottish Anthem but I think that has been appropriated by the English, and is generally seen by Scots as an English song, but still...
Yeah i like that too - the english seem to have all the best anthems for their various sporting teams .
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What gets me is why at the Commonwealth's whenever we won gold, LOHAG was played, yet at England footie matches they use GSTQ.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (193)
18.68%
No (626)
60.6%
Not really bothered about them (214)
20.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed