This discussion is closed.
Hannah
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I finally found out what grades Bath want from me today. To my surprise they have given me a higher offer than oxford have. Is this normal?!!
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Hannah)
I finally found out what grades Bath want from me today. To my surprise they have given me a higher offer than oxford have. Is this normal?!!

Depends on the course... it happens. What did you apply for?
Hannah
Psychology, i think its probably because its a four year course at Bath with a year in industry. Or maybe they have just had a lot of offers this year!
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Psychology, i think its probably because its a four year course at Bath with a year in industry. Or maybe they have just had a lot of offers this year!

Yeah probably... I think some people have had higher offers for maths from other unis than they did from Oxford or Cambridge. Was Bath going to be your insurance then? oops...
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Woah.
Hannah
I was thinking about it yep. Are you not allowed higher offers as your insurance? In a flash of inspiration i answer my own question: no that would defeat the point of an insurance, duh! Are you allowed equal offers?
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was thinking about it yep. Are you not allowed higher offers as your insurance? In a flash of inspiration i answer my own question: no that would defeat the point of an insurance, duh! Are you allowed equal offers?

You can pick whatever univeristy you want out of the ones you have offers from... but again if you pick one with an equal offer that would again defeat the object. If you miss the grades for Oxford you miss the grades for your insurance!
Hannah
Hmm, will bear that in mind, thanks.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm, will bear that in mind, thanks.

Good luck with it whatever I'm sure you'll get the grades for Ox so it won't be a problem!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When I applied for compsci warwick offered me AABC which was their standard for anyone doing four at the time. After that when I got my cambridge offer it was AAB... undercutting warwick and leaving exeter as my insurance.

So it obviously does happen, it may be happening increasingly because of the supposed decrease in alevel difficulty/increase in grades. Wouldn't surprise me if it was standard soon enough.

Alaric.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
did they give you AAA? they told us last year that was the standard offer, yay for my AAB-ness, didnt like the place though so ignored that
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hannah I don't think anyone would actually stop you putting down a higher offer as your insurance if you wanted to do it. If you think bath would be more likely to offer you a place than Ox if you missed AAA then have them as your insurance, if you're fairly confident of getting AAA or close to it.
AAA is Bath's standard offer for Psychology, partly because of the year in industry which most unis don't have for Psychology.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got a higher offer at warwick than Oxford - Oxford wanted AAA warwick wanted AAAb or AAA and a step paper.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My friend got a ridiculously high offer from Bath and she thinks it's a mistake....IB40 points to study politics, when it said on the prospectus they want IB30. However she did not write to them as she didn't want to go anyway
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had a higher offer as my insurance because I felt they were likely to give me a lower offer if i missed my grades.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
33.33%
No (14)
58.33%
Don't know (2)
8.33%

Watched Threads