Working At A level Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kunster1337
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi, i was just wondering if it would be ok working weekends while completing 3 A levels. Or would it put to much stress on my timetable? Anyone who has done this?
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
that should be no problem, i worked throughout my alevels on friday evenings and saturdays all day and i done fairly well. In fact most ppl did work during their alvels and had no problem, If you have to work long hours on saturday and sunday it might be a bit of a hassle.
Cherry Kisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ive just started my A levels and am looking around for saturday work. I think it should be ok as long as you keep ontop of all your coursework as falling behind can become very stressful.
Kunster1337
Rep:
?
Well, Im struggling finding a job, as i have no experiance.
Any recommendations?
Kunster1337
Rep:
?
This is so depressing!
Catski
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I worked all through my A level year whilst doing 3 A levels and an AS level. I actually found having a job HELPED with school work, as I knew that I had to get my work done on time so I could work 9 - 5 Saturdays and 11 - 5 Sundays. I still had time in the evenings and I didn't do the tempting "Oh, I'll do it at the weekend" riff that we all try from time to time... plus now I have savings as well
My boss was kind enough to let me drop Saturdays in the month leading up to my exams as well.
I'd really recommend it - also adds some variety to an otherwise academia-driven life.
litispendence
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My college recommended working no longer than 8 hours per week. I used to work 7.5 hours on a Saturday in a pharmacy.

Kunster1337, why don't you try:
McDonalds
Supermarkets
Restaurants
Shops
Hotels

Try not to be too picky, as like you said, it can be difficult to find work when you're 16-18.
jen333
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
when i was doing my A levels i worked 5-10 hours at the weekend. it was pretty easy to keep up with my work as long as i did it in free periods or in the evenings after school. most people i know also worked at least the same as me.
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I worked about 16-20 hours a week during AS levels and coped.

A-levels I worked about the same but quit in the Feb before exams started. I am glad I did.
SexyKe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i worked roughly 16 hours a week all through college and it was ok although during my final exams i did book a week off and then got another week off through my car crash so i had more time to revise. I remember when i first started college my boss at the time didnt believe me (that college had started) and i was working nearly full time plus college for about two weeks until he finally believed that different peoples courses started at different times. (He just presumed because one person hadnt started all the college students wouldnt have started) I was really tired but it wasnt impossible; i found that you find time to do everything.
cameleon
Report 13 years ago
I was considering geitting a job while at college but decided against it as I dont think I could cope. I applied for loads of jobs just after the summer holidays started but they were all taken. I got loads of interviews for the jobs I had applied to just as the hol ended so that was annoying as I wanted to earn some cash :mad: I got offered a job in safeway but didnt take it. I am poor now. But I get ema so hopefully that will get me by. I think it depends on you as an individual- some people can handle it, some cant. I decided I couldnt. If you think you will use breaks at college/weekday evenings efficiently then go for it. Bare in mind: better results-better course-better job. So you'll have more money at the end of the day. Personally id rather go short of money for two yrs in college now than later in life.

ps- sorry for the long post! am bored
-xsarahx-
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i worked 7.5 hours on a saturday while doing 5 alevels. In the end i got AAAAC. It worked out fine!
sparky18
Report 13 years ago
it should be fine i worked in a supermarket and if i was getting hassled with coursework they understood as they employed a lot of students so they let me swap shifts or take time off but it actually motivated me not to leave my work till the weekend as i worked weekends and 3 hours on a monday night.
cloudofcalm
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Call Centre work is deathly dull but well paid, shift work, and limited hours. I did it from November last year until April this year, through three A levels and various extracurriculars, and it was only in the last 'burst' before my A levels that I dropped everything, including work.

The pay where I was, was about seven quid an hour, well over minimum wage. You sit on your arse all day and there's the ability to do homework while you're there. Furthermore, Call Centres constantly have changeover - it's a disgusting job to do, really boring, it's horrible, BUT, it meets the requirements you have as an A-level student. Try your local newspaper Job supplement and any local temp agencies. Don't be fobbed off by the 'under eighteen, no service' crap - try your local branch of Kellys; I've done loads of temp work for them, before I got my permanent job where I am now and they were always good.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.81%
No (584)
72.19%

Watched Threads