Some Questions For Every User Watch

This discussion is closed.
LittleLaydee
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hello everybody i'm fairly new to the uk learning website, i've been looking through some previous threads, mainly to do with exam results and university. What i seem to have discovered is that alot of people who use this site are highly educated and come from middle/upper class background, and many people got amazing results on their 2003 GCSE exams. Some got all A*'S! Is there any people on here that come from other backgrounds other than middle/upper class?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LittleLaydee)
Hello everybody i'm fairly new to the uk learning website, i've been looking through some previous threads, mainly to do with exam results and university. What i seem to have discovered is that alot of people who use this site are highly educated and come from middle/upper class background, and many people got amazing results on their 2003 GCSE exams. Some got all A*'S! Is there any people on here that come from other backgrounds other than middle/upper class?
Well dont let that put you off, not every member has 11 A*'s under the belt. At first it may seem quite daunting, but I assure you that they are normal people.

Welcom to UKL!!!!
LittleLaydee
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Well dont let that put you off, not every member has 11 A*'s under the belt. At first it may seem quite daunting, but I assure you that they are normal people.

Welcom to UKL!!!!
I didn't mean to sound rude i wasn't doubting their normality, i just wanted to know if anybody is of normal class background so i don't feel like a bit of a well.... outcast! LoL
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hello!

I wouldn't appear to be anything other than middle class, though I didn't do very well in all my exams, I'm far too lazy - as my parents have just been telling me on the phone!

Alaric.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i just wanted to know if anybody is of normal class background so i don't feel like a bit of a well.... outcast! LoL
hey our class background is just a 'normal'

you won't feel like an outcast though, people are nice around here

Alaric.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have 10 GCSEs between A* and C. I come from a very poor area but it's safe to say my family is financially comfortable. Nevertheless the community I grew up in gave me a strong "lower-class" identity. So no you're not alone. And welcome!
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't mean to sound rude i wasn't doubting their normality, i just wanted to know if anybody is of normal class background so i don't feel like a bit of a well.... outcast! LoL
don't, surely thats the wonder of an internet forum- everyone has their anonymity (some more than others) and you can be whoever you want to be. i'm sure there is a mix of class on here (but yes, probably slanted towards the middle class)- but as you can probably tell, most of what people come out with is still utter rubbish.

lou xxx
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
Most people nowadays are middle class. You'll find few if any here that are upper (that is defined as aristocracy!!!).
I'm lower class I suppose, i live with my gran (she was a cleaner but is retired) in a council house
J
LittleLaydee
(Original post by Alaric)
Hello!

I wouldn't appear to be anything other than middle class, though I didn't do very well in all my exams, I'm far too lazy - as my parents have just been telling me on the phone!

Alaric.
I'm lazy too when it comes to things like homework, coursework and exams, which is kind of a silly thing since i'm going to be bombarded with coursework in the next week

So, what makes a middle class person? Is it a really big house , living in a nice area , going to a grammar/public school or are my perceptions wrong?
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am *normal* class, in the respect that my parents never went to university, not because of academic abilities, but because of financial constraints. Having said that they have done extremely well, we own about five properties in another country and my family are well provided for, though not in the sense that I could go out and buy a ferrarai. My education was in a normal comprehensive school, I wasn't put in one of them schools where they spoon feed you everything.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im a really normal bloke, no private schools here, gsces aaabbbbbb alevels bbc,

i seem to have survived on here!

if anyone makes you feel like a outcast ill get out my banning stick!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

GCSEs aaabbbbbbcd.
A-levels abc still resitting though.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im trying very hard for straight a's this term.....but im from america, and would be considered upper middle in your system.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

Survived?! Your mod status immortalises you!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

Feeling frisky tonight are we?
LittleLaydee
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I am *normal* class, in the respect that my parents never went to university, not because of academic abilities, but because of financial constraints. Having said that they have done extremely well, we own about five properties in another country and my family are well provided for, though not in the sense that I could go out and buy a ferrarai. My education was a normal comprehensive, I wasn't put in one of them schools where they spoon feed you everything.
Your family have done very well for them selves ! 3/4 of my family are middle class, and mine are in the 1/4 of the lower class i suppose, we own a home and can afford things but my education is at a comprehensive school and we were limited to eight GCSE'S, not fair is it? Oh well im doing as's now even though my GCSE grades were not all a*'s (though i got two). I'm finding them very interesting and insightful actually, not boring lol ! And im sorry if i described middle class as not normal, !! I just define mine as more commonplace from where i am.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My dad is considered 'red neck' and I still do okay at school.

Doing AS Chem, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics

I got 5As and 1B(for Biology). I couldn't apply to Oxbridge or London because I can't afford to stay far from home. I will apply up north.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Survived?! Your mod status immortalises you!
joint second oldest current mod (since promotion)

joint oldest active mod!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
joint second oldest current mod (since promotion)

joint oldest active mod!
OK I ain't waving willies with you!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

oooohh... we're scared.

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
29.63%
No (16)
59.26%
Don't know (3)
11.11%

Watched Threads