Some Questions For Every User Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LittleLaydee)
Your family have done very well for them selves ! 3/4 of my family are middle class, and mine are in the 1/4 of the lower class i suppose, we own a home and can afford things but my education is at a comprehensive school and we were limited to eight GCSE'S, not fair is it? Oh well im doing as's now even though my GCSE grades were not all a*'s (though i got two). I'm finding them very interesting and insightful actually, not boring lol ! And im sorry if i described middle class as not normal, !! I just define mine as more commonplace from where i am.
No need to apologise.

I have always assumed that many of the brightest people come from privedged and wealthy backgrounds, and I have been proven wrong.

I didn't get any A*s, probably due to my attitude, I guess I played out my rebellious nature back in school.

What subjects are you studying?
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
joint second oldest current mod (since promotion)

joint oldest active mod!
but there are older memebrs around...

lou xxx
LittleLaydee
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by starry)
My dad is considered 'red neck' and I still do okay at school.

Doing AS Chem, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics

I got 5As and 1B(for Biology). I couldn't apply to Oxbridge or London because I can't afford to stay far from home. I will apply up north.
oh my god i would never get accepted into Oxbridge I heard that they reject people of lower classes and whos parents haven't been to uni and im 'guilty' of both so i guess i have no chance! Unless i manage to do a tonne of extra curricular stuff and get four A's on my Alevels, aparently, still i'd be at a disadvantage!!!
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loup,lou)

lou xxx
yes, but looking at the time served as a mod
and one day older doesnt count lou!!! ure gonna torment me for that forever!

(Original post by lou p lou)
oooohh... we're scared.

lou xxx
***flexes his banning stick***

WHACK! thats for being cheeky, 2 more and ure out! he he!

(i bet ure loving it!)
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ollie, I saw what you wrote.

Is Katy about?
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)

lou xxx
pointedly looks at lou!
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)

Is Katy about?
most likely not.....
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
pointedly looks at lou!
one day!

(Original post by bhaal)

Is Katy about?
its been moved,

u do know icklekaty isnt my gf right?
LittleLaydee
No need to apologise.

I have always assumed that many of the brightest people come from privedged and wealthy backgrounds, and I have been proven wrong.

I didn't get any A*s, probably due to my attitude, I guess I played out my rebellious nature back in school.

What subjects are you studying?
I am studying history, sociology, english language and ict
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh my god i would never get accepted into Oxbridge I heard that they reject people of lower classes and whos parents haven't been to uni and im 'guilty' of both so i guess i have no chance! Unless i manage to do a tonne of extra curricular stuff and get four A's on my Alevels, aparently, still i'd be at a disadvantage!!!
Where did you hear that? Believe me, its bulls**t. I'm at Oxford myself, and I'm not what you could call middle class. If they discriminated against working class students, I wouldnt be studying there. Whoever you heard it from doesnt know what they're talking about.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

yes we know!
LittleLaydee
(Original post by lala)
Where did you hear that? Believe me, its bulls**t. I'm at Oxford myself, and I'm not what you could call middle class. If they discriminated against working class students, I wouldnt be studying there. Whoever you heard it from doesnt know what they're talking about.
I heard it from a friend who knows someboy who goes there, and they know the statistics of working/middle class people who go there and they said there was a massive difference, mainly because lower classes don't apply and the other reason is rejection.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
yes, but looking at the time served as a mod
and one day older doesnt count lou!!! ure gonna torment me for that forever!

***flexes his banning stick***

WHACK! thats for being cheeky, 2 more and ure out! he he!

(i bet ure loving it!)
Hey Ollie, I'm 6 days older than you!
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

That confuses people sometimes!
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm lazy too when it comes to things like homework, coursework and exams, which is kind of a silly thing since i'm going to be bombarded with coursework in the next week
me too, I have a 6 week group project this term

So, what makes a middle class person? Is it a really big house , living in a nice area , going to a grammar/public school or are my perceptions wrong?
Well as has already been pointed out, there seems to be more of them than ever these days.
I believe traditionally it's been defined by what having a profession (or in the case of a minor your father's profession). My dad is a university lecturer (temporarily in university management) and my mum looks after my disabled sister full time. Because of my Dad's job he's regarded himself as middle class for the last 30 years, but before that he regarded himself working class because of my grandparents' jobs. Both my parents went to Oxford, my mum was the first from her school and my dad was one who got grants and scholarships and stuff to get there.
I don't have a really big house, it's decently sized enough but it's essentially a very large cottage so it has really low ceilings and once the wheelchairs are inside it seems to lose a lot of space. The area is nice enough, it's about 200yds from Kent Uni so lots of students go past, there are some middle class houses down the road one way and a council estate off a side road the other. I did go to a grammar school because I passed the kent test but I certainly wouldn't have paid for it, mainly because we wouldn't really be able to afford it.
So no your perceptions aren't that wrong, but defining anyone who goes to a grammar school as middle classed would probably have offended some at my school. Most of east kent (with the exception possibly of thanet) is nice too, though it is full of silly southerners.
So yeah, there you go a mini social status report for all that's worth

incidentally I only did 9 GCSEs with only three at A* and cambridge let me in - so you aren't doing bad with 8 and 2 at A*

Alaric.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
one day!

its been moved,

Yes I do, I'm not Maskall FFS. I was reffering to Katy who hasn't been on for like what seems like years.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes I do, I'm not Maskall FFS. I was reffering to Katy who hasn't been on for like what seems like years.
who would that be? was she on when we joined?
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it didnt appeal to her so much

not years!
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I heard it from a friend who knows someboy who goes there, and they know the statistics of working/middle class people who go there and they said there was a massive difference, mainly because lower classes don't apply and the other reason is rejection.
Well, now you're hearing it from a working class person who does actually go there. Theres quite a big difference between hardly any working class people applying and deliberate discrimination by the university wouldnt you say? Of course, its right that the numbers of people from the lowest socio-economic classes are minimal (the same could be said of LSE, Imperial, Warwick etc etc) but you do realise thats not the same as admissions tutors conspiring not to let these applicants in, right? Like I said, if they did that then I wouldnt be an Oxford student.
LittleLaydee
(Original post by Alaric)
me too, I have a 6 week group project this term

Well as has already been pointed out, there seems to be more of them than ever these days.
I believe traditionally it's been defined by what having a profession (or in the case of a minor your father's profession). My dad is a university lecturer (temporarily in university management) and my mum looks after my disabled sister full time. Because of my Dad's job he's regarded himself as middle class for the last 30 years, but before that he regarded himself working class because of my grandparents' jobs. Both my parents went to Oxford, my mum was the first from her school and my dad was one who got grants and scholarships and stuff to get there.
I don't have a really big house, it's decently sized enough but it's essentially a very large cottage so it has really low ceilings and once the wheelchairs are inside it seems to lose a lot of space. The area is nice enough, it's about 200yds from Kent Uni so lots of students go past, there are some middle class houses down the road one way and a council estate off a side road the other. I did go to a grammar school because I passed the kent test but I certainly wouldn't have paid for it, mainly because we wouldn't really be able to afford it.
So no your perceptions aren't that wrong, but defining anyone who goes to a grammar school as middle classed would probably have offended some at my school. Most of east kent (with the exception possibly of thanet) is nice too, though it is full of silly southerners.
So yeah, there you go a mini social status report for all that's worth

incidentally I only did 9 GCSEs with only three at A* and cambridge let me in - so you aren't doing bad with 8 and 2 at A*

Alaric.
Yeah you're right there are some variations but mostly people that go to grammars and that are middle, i'm not saying all, dont shoot me, i'm saying most.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (116)
80.56%
Leave (28)
19.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed