Some Questions For Every User Watch

This discussion is closed.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
who would that be? was she on when we joined?
She was earlier than you. She joined in july.
LittleLaydee
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Well, now you're hearing it from a working class person who does actually go there. Theres quite a big difference between hardly any working class people applying and deliberate discrimination by the university wouldnt you say? Of course, its right that the ~~~~~~s of people from the lowest socio-economic classes are minimal (the same could be said of LSE, Imperial, Warwick etc etc) but you do realise thats not the same as admissions tutors conspiring not to let these applicants in, right? Like I said, if they did that then I wouldnt be an Oxford student.
I didn't say they were conspiring, i simply pointed out what i heard and i never once said i was right, i was asking a question. They said that the reasons were a combination of both, not to be rude, but please use your common sense, why are the admissions tutors going to let a working class person in over a middle and above ?? (it s likely to be rare if this happens)
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LittleLaydee)
Yeah you're right there are some variations but mostly people that go to grammars and that are middle, i'm not saying all, dont shoot me, i'm saying most.
Yeah it's pretty much correct from my experience, so I won't shoot you

I'm not at all sure why though, my primary school took kids from a wide range of backgrounds but there seemed to generally be a class divide in achievement (not achievement and not ability ) then. I don't know why that is, maybe it's because the teachers tended to be middle class and so didn't know how to deal with the kids properly. I don't know. All I know is there are a lot of kids out there who've been done a great disservice by the education system in this country

Alaric.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't say they were conspiring, i simply pointed out what i heard and i never once said i was right, i was asking a question. They said that the reasons were a combination of both, not to be rude, but please use your common sense, why are the admissions tutors going to let a working class person in over a middle and above ?? (it s likely to be rare if this happens)
Stop defending yourself, your not on trial.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
She was earlier than you. She joined in july.
i remember her!

and ollie, as for that one day- as the song goes *what a difference a day makes, 24 little hours*

lou xxx
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
People from all different social classes go to Oxbridge.

I am pretty normal really, live in a bit of a crappy area. Went to a normal comprehensive which was the worst one in the county. Got ok GCSEs 9 A*-B, 4 A Levels A-C. At one point my parents had a pretty decent income, but during my GCSE year my mum became disabled and had to stop working and then during my A Levels my dad got made redundant and ended up going to uni in order to get a better job so I worked my way through uni, graduated in 2001 and then I've been saving for 2 yrs to do a postgrad which I'm doing at Sheffield. So I'd say I'm pretty normal. I kind of wish I'd worked harder so I could get straight As and a first but then I dont think I would have had much of a social life. I wouldnt have swapped my student life for anything i enjoyed every second of it.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
but there are older memebrs around...

lou xxx
LIttle pony avatar! OMG! Sorry for this, but I LOVE them I can't find them in shops anymore. Sorry this is totally off topic. but hehe
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
, not to be rude, but please use your common sense, why are the admissions tutors going to let a working class person in over a middle and above ?? (it s likely to be rare if this happens)
I can answer this one,

The working class person is likely to have had a less priviledged education and therefore will have to have a) worked hard b) be more intelligent to get the same or similar grades. Makes sense to me to take more people from what would be regarded as under priviledged backgrounds!

they want the best candidate academically after all

Alaric.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i remember her!

and ollie, as for that one day- as the song goes *what a difference a day makes, 24 little hours*

lou xxx
Funny how nobody knows what the rest of the song goes like.............
lala
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Er, actually you said you heard that they reject people of lower classes. Clearly not, since I'm there now.
You were asking a question before, but now you're making an assertion. Why would the admissions tutors not let in a working class person over a middle class one, especially if the former was better qualified? I am using my common sense, seeing as how, I, a working class applicant, was given a place- so it seems obvious to me that being working class is not an assumption that has to be overcome in the eyes of the admissions tutors since I dont think I'd have got in were this the case. What is your evidence for your assumption? Or do you maybe think that middle class students are automatically better than working class ones? Becaus it wasnt actually clear from your post.
I'm not just arguing for the sake of it here btw, I genuinely do think its important to do all one can to destroy the inaccurate stereotypes surrounding class issues in Oxbridge applications, and I guess I'm in a good position to do it.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)
My dad is considered 'red neck' and I still do okay at school.

Doing AS Chem, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics

I got 5As and 1B(for Biology). I couldn't apply to Oxbridge or London because I can't afford to stay far from home. I will apply up north.
Congratulations! I got rejected by Cambridge and I also can't afford to live in a city like London
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i remember her!

lou xxx
right... stomps off to find number of hours
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Middle/upper class, HUH!......I come from superleague Premiership class.
Actually not really, I'm some poor southern boy who failed highschool, but worked his tail off and is now a Student teacher of Physical Ed.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 101mphfastball)
Middle/upper class, HUH!......I come from superleague Premiership class.
Actually not really, I'm some poor southern boy who failed highschool, but worked his tail off and is now a Student teacher of Physical Ed.
you flunked high school *gasp* :eek:
LittleLaydee
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Er, actually you said you heard that they reject people of lower classes. Clearly not, since I'm there now.
You were asking a question before, but now you're making an assertion. Why would the admissions tutors not let in a working class person over a middle class one, especially if the former was better qualified? I am using my common sense, seeing as how, I, a working class applicant, was given a place- so it seems obvious to me that being working class is not an assumption that has to be overcome in the eyes of the admissions tutors since I dont think I'd have got in were this the case. What is your evidence for your assumption? Or do you maybe think that middle class students are automatically better than working class ones? Becaus it wasnt actually clear from your post.
I'm not just arguing for the sake of it here btw, I genuinely do think its important to do all one can to destroy the inaccurate stereotypes surrounding class issues in Oxbridge applications, and I guess I'm in a good position to do it.
Ok enough with my ranting, but you keep saying how you're a working class person who managed to get in, you are ONE person, i'm sorry but overall that doesn't make hardly any difference
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
right... stomps off to find number of hours
my first post 15-06-2003 04:44 PM

lou's first post 15-06-2003 03:58 PM

ok, i admit it, you are older.... by 46 minutes!!!
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
mutters to self *he flunked high school!*
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yup, I was diagnosed ADD, was told at elementary school I would never amount to anything. Couldnt sit still or ever concentrate in class. never achieved much, other than something to do with sport. Which is why I'm a physical Ed teacher, not Math or English or somethin.....
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
my first post 15-06-2003 04:44 PM

lou's first post 15-06-2003 03:58 PM

ok, i admit it, you are older.... by 46 minutes!!!
Babies, the pair of you
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 101mphfastball)
Yup, I was diagnosed ADD, was told at elementary school I would never amount to anything. Couldnt sit still or ever concentrate in class. never achieved much, other than something to do with sport. Which is why I'm a physical Ed teacher, not Math or English or somethin.....
check out the username, im ADD to. the only thing i will ever amount to is a genius i have felt the pain of teachers trying to get the energy out of you too......believe me! my 8th grade teachers fave thing was to make me run up and down the stairs in hopes that it would drain me so i would sit still!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (218)
68.13%
No (102)
31.88%

Watched Threads