Some Questions For Every User Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LittleLaydee)
Hello everybody i'm fairly new to the uk learning website, i've been looking through some previous threads, mainly to do with exam results and university. What i seem to have discovered is that alot of people who use this site are highly educated and come from middle/upper class background, and many people got amazing results on their 2003 GCSE exams. Some got all A*'S! Is there any people on here that come from other backgrounds other than middle/upper class?
you are kidding right. i got C's on my papers.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought classes weren't supposed to exist in modern day britain. I thought we'd moved on from that aristocratic pap.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deadflower1984)
Hiya! I know how you feel. I was mortified, and to be honest I feel a bit thick when I look at this, it's kind of masochistic I suppose. I come from a "normal" background. *Tries hard to think back to A'level sociology for the criteria*... can't remember, it's working class anyway. Although that doesn't seem to be too normal anymore, most of the people I know are middle class, I feel poor compared to them, (as well as thick).

I don't know why I feel so stupid all the time, in uni I feel overwhelmed by the way everyone is so intellectual, but they can't all be that bright.I got a scholarship to study there (even if it's not the most prestigious university). And I also got 4a's in my A'levels. I think it's just upbringing that makes other people seem more intellgient than others. (I am trying my hardest to convince myself that I am allowed to be at university, huge self esteem problem here, sorry, this is just my bit of self-assurance)

Hey theres nothing wrong with aber, dont feel bad about it. I got into all my uni choices and i chose to go to aber, I dont regret the decision it is excellent for certain subjects and I loved it. There are normally plenty of working class people at aber or there were when i was there. The biggest problem really is because people go out so much and its difficult to manage the social life on a budget but I used to go out on student nights and get all the cheap booze in town and manage to go out on £5.
Dont feel down on yourself they dont give out scholarships to everyone, you obviously earned it so just enjoy your uni life.
MrJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its an interesting subject that students of a lower classs achieve lower exam results. This is a hypothesis which unfortuneatly is true on whole - schools within class c / d catchment area tend to produce lower exam results while A/B social class students achieve better. I teach in a school where students are of a low social class, the centre of coventry is not the best of places and the school is minutes away from a red light district of the town - however their are students who will gain good grades and certainly one of my tutees will gain at least two A*s . I believe it is down to students themseleves to be motivated themsleves in such areas as they dont have the supporyt from parents as others in higher social classes do and certainly teachers wil support such students as they strieve for the grades they deserve.
Sasha D
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LittleLaydee)
Hello everybody i'm fairly new to the uk learning website, i've been looking through some previous threads, mainly to do with exam results and university. What i seem to have discovered is that alot of people who use this site are highly educated and come from middle/upper class background, and many people got amazing results on their 2003 GCSE exams. Some got all A*'S! Is there any people on here that come from other backgrounds other than middle/upper class?
I lived in a working class background my whole life but i got As on my GCSEs and im gonna make something of myself!
Sasha D
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I have 10 GCSEs between A* and C. I come from a very poor area but it's safe to say my family is financially comfortable. Nevertheless the community I grew up in gave me a strong "lower-class" identity. So no you're not alone. And welcome!
That's exaclty my position....which area are you from?
Sasha D
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
im a really normal bloke, no private schools here, gsces aaabbbbbb alevels bbc,

i seem to have survived on here!

if anyone makes you feel like a outcast ill get out my banning stick!
hahahaha! *wipes tear from eye* you mods crack me up!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (148)
60.66%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.51%
No- I want it (68)
27.87%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads