The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Is it not the same as LimeWire?

Yes!
iBrass
Yes!

So you can get arrested for it and fined?
Reply 3
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

You won't get arrested or fined for either of those things.

Unless you, y'know, decide to host an entire underground network of pirate servers in your basement capable of storing an extremely large portion of the whole copyrighted internet. Then they might ask for a fiver or something. After about twenty warning letters. Maybe.
Yes it's illegal, but unless you start sharing the files no one will know.

Who said it was legal, OP?
It is illegal..
Reply 6
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

The government is clamping down! The chances that you get arrested are slim, and the chances of a fine is also slim, but what they can do is stop your internet in your house, try explaining to your parents why they will never be allowed internet again!? I can't imagine they'd be too thrilled.....
Basically any music that has a price tag on it, and which it is obtained for free, then it is illegal, no matter what method was used to obtain the music.
iBrass
The government is clamping down! The chances that you get arrested are slim, and the chances of a fine is also slim, but what they can do is stop your internet in your house, try explaining to your parents why they will never be allowed internet again!?

How do they know you're ripping songs off youtube?
spikeymike
Basically any music that has a price tag on it, and which it is obtained for free, then it is illegal, no matter what method was used to obtain the music.

Don't you think youtube should put little sound gaps in all videos so it can't be copied to a good quality?
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Because you're posting about it on TSR. 'da fedz monitor this site, dontchaknow.

But seriously, they don't.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

There are tiny invisible cameras at our homes.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

Might be something to with MD5.

Mad Vlad

I think Vlad would probably know? :holmes:
Reply 13
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

That... I have no idea, i'm not exactly technically minded, but I can't imagine it's difficult for someone to find out.....
And they have been known to confiscate computers and check that way!
I wouldn't risk it!
Reply 14
iBrass
The government is clamping down! The chances that you get arrested are slim, and the chances of a fine is also slim, but what they can do is stop your internet in your house, try explaining to your parents why they will never be allowed internet again!? I can't imagine they'd be too thrilled.....

You would be able to get internet, you'd just have to change ISPs. Still not fun to explain though.

But of course, you would stop after the 2nd warning, if you didn't wan't to be cut off.
spikeymike
Might be something to with MD5.

I think Vlad would probably know? :holmes:

Could you explain what MD5 is in laymans terms? :o:
Like most internet piracy it's pretty safe. Stealing music on the web is far too big for them to go after everyone, far easier to go after the people uploading, unbelievably easy to find their IP adresses, I can sit here and look at who I am stealing from right now. Make sure you don't upload if you are scared of getting caught. As far as I know there is no way for them to know you are stealing from youtube, as you are just saving the stream, but the quality is poor.
pardon my ignorance, but i've been told rippin from youtube isnt legal as your not taking the actual video, just 1 part of it, the audio, nevertheless theres no point as the quality is wack.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Could you explain what MD5 is in laymans terms? :o:

I have no idea, Mad Vlad is the computer forensic... :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Can someone explain to me how to do this please??

Latest

Trending

Trending