This discussion is closed.
jeremy_2003
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi can you please help me with my maths coursework on statistics i am really stuck.

it is on a sports report made my a person "english football is so boring. there are few goeals scored. it is more exciting when it is played italian style, where more goals are scored. no wonder people dont go to watch games in england"

not everyone agrees

the first question is just looking at data provide and proving her wrong of right using simple methods but the second question is " extend your investigation of engliah football using other factors. make clear you hypothesis is, how you plan to research it, and your conclsion"

please if you have any advise of clues on how to answer it and mabe with examples to make it clearer please answer as soon as possible many thanks jeremy
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How weird, doing coursework on football! Umm... you could research the average number of goals scored in english games compared to italian games. Maybe choosing different years so you could plot graphs with the x axis being 'years' and the y-axis being 'average no. of goals scored in a match' and plot both the italian&english averages on so its easy to compare. You could also use simple things to work out the average such as mean, median and mode. You could use standard deviation to work out the range, and comment on whether having a larger range is more exciting than having a smaller range.
You could investigate the actual number of people who go to football matches in england, and see how many spare seats there are and calculate the % of people who go, out of people who could go. For other factors you could raise things saying what factors affect whether people to go a football match or not, such as the weather, and you could compare the % of people who go to football matches on rainy days, and days when it isn't raining. You could compare % of people who go to a football match on a weekday or on the weekend, and comment on whether the fact that they might have a job affects whether more/less people go to watch a football match.
I shouldn't say this, but the main thing they are testing you for is making sure you can draw graphs well, and interpret data. So if you draw lots of graphs and annotate them and do a lot of comparisons then you should be okay. You should also do something that's outside the curriculum if you want to get high marks, for example, if this is GCSE stuff then you could use standard deviation to show ranges, eg between people go who to watch italian matches, and people who go to watch english matches. If you want to know more about standard deviation then just ask...
this has been long enough!
hope your coursework goes okay!
xsarahx
Report 16 years ago
Same here i am doing the maths coursework on the football statistics and i dont have a clue what to do, and its got to be handed in, in 2 weeks time. If ne1 knows ne sites or infomation etc plzzzzzz plzzzzzz reply.
Thanksx
Smin
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jeremy_2003)
hi can you please help me with my maths coursework on statistics i am really stuck.

it is on a sports report made my a person "english football is so boring. there are few goeals scored. it is more exciting when it is played italian style, where more goals are scored. no wonder people dont go to watch games in england"

not everyone agrees

the first question is just looking at data provide and proving her wrong of right using simple methods but the second question is " extend your investigation of engliah football using other factors. make clear you hypothesis is, how you plan to research it, and your conclsion"

please if you have any advise of clues on how to answer it and mabe with examples to make it clearer please answer as soon as possible many thanks jeremy
Hey Jeremy,
what school in Camb do you go to? I live here too! I just got the CW and I can't find the extra data that is apparantly on the OCR website, can u help me?
MohammedREZA
Report 16 years ago
Hello Thx very much Dill. It has really helped me as well.

Ok i have come up with a Hypothesis:

I beleive that the attendance in Germany will be greater at football matches as they have the greatest population.

I have researched on the internet.. got the facts and figures.. GERmany dus hav the largest popualtion.

Now standard deviation compares two sets of data?

Could apply standard deviation to this hypothesis, and if so how?

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thx again

Mohammed REZA
richieboy999
Report 16 years ago
Hi i just got the same coursework- thanks alot guys this has helped me alot- ille post all my coursework on here that i do to help u guys out aswell. laterz all!
Laura87
Report 16 years ago
I have the same coursework! I've started to copy it up on the OCR paper but I need to do some more work. Friends of mine have done correlation (spearman's rank) but I can't remember what factors they used...

I couldn't find the information on the OCR website either, at first, but the school did and we were given a copy. I've just found them:

Side 1: http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...Mathe47112.xls

Side 2: http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/do..._type=&x=0&y=6

I have to say, I didn't find any of it interesting at all. I used data from http://www.soccerstats.com - girls, you might need a lad to help you... I did!

Laura x

P.S. - Advice, my maths teacher (who is a total dog, may I add) went to a meeting and the guy who was talking called the collected data 'samples' - apparently he used this word a lot and implied that it was good if you used it in your coursework, e.g. 'I have collected samples of data from the Internet' - it should get you some good marks.
Laura87
Report 16 years ago
Dill, you have given some sound advice, except, we have been told that it's not really useful to investigate the attendance to the match. I thougt it was a good idea, but apparently not.

We were taught Standard Deviation and Speaman's Rank Correlation Coefficient before we started. We also did some other stuff, like Cumulative Frequency.

Laura x
anna2304
Report 16 years ago
i'm in a maths lesson but i've run away because i still don't know what i'm doing for the second question.....i was going to do no. of goals scored in a season at home vs. no. of goals scored during the first 15 minutes or no. of matches won vs no. of goals scored. but how the hell can i put them on scatter graphs??? and do they even work??

or does anyone have any better topics to investigate?

thank you so much,

Anna

x
Laura87
Report 16 years ago
I was going to do something like that but I asked my brainy friends and they've done goals scored against goals conceded (let in) - not sure how they've done it but I'm going to have a go over the weekend.

Laura x
Jody
Report 16 years ago
For part 1
First you find out the mean, mode and median. Then the upper and lower quartiles and the interquartile range. Then you find the standard deviation. Do this for both the English and Italian info you have been given. Then you need to draw up some graphs to compare the info
You need a line graph, box and whisker diagrams and correlation(scatter graphs)diagrams.

For part 2
Use a larger sample of data to prove/disprove the statement you can get this from the www.orc.org.uk

Hope this helps a bit
Riffy
Report 15 years ago
PLEASE I NEED SERIUOS HELP! i am doing the advanced ICT course at college. The only reason they let me in it was coz i had very good grades in my subjects except GCSE MATHS my dumb high school teacher entered me for the higher teir and i was'nt ready for that i was working on the intermediate level and my target was a B.

SO when the results came back i got a big fat U!
i am only allowed to progress to the 2nd year if i get my GCSE grade C! they keep on telling me that i could do sommat equivilant of a GCSE MATHS but i dont know of any such scheme!

I am looking for a way aroung GCSE maths prehaps sommat a bit easier!
please help me for i am thinking about comminting SUACIDE and im not joking!
beki_jane
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Riffy)
PLEASE I NEED SERIUOS HELP! i am doing the advanced ICT course at college. The only reason they let me in it was coz i had very good grades in my subjects except GCSE MATHS my dumb high school teacher entered me for the higher teir and i was'nt ready for that i was working on the intermediate level and my target was a B.

SO when the results came back i got a big fat U!
i am only allowed to progress to the 2nd year if i get my GCSE grade C! they keep on telling me that i could do sommat equivilant of a GCSE MATHS but i dont know of any such scheme!

I am looking for a way aroung GCSE maths prehaps sommat a bit easier!
please help me for i am thinking about comminting SUACIDE and im not joking!
have you tried learndirect? they do a gcse maths equivilent not sure on cost it might even be free good luck!
Unknown52
Report 15 years ago
for tons of extra statistics to get more credit try the website:
http://stats.football365.com
good luck every1!!!
LAv
Report 15 years ago
hi
PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS help me
im so stuck on the football coursework for maths, if anyone can send me a complete one i would be sooooooooooooooooo pleased, please please please send me a copy as im so stuck and i need it done by friday(only 4 days i left it late)
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee
LAv
please email me it at [email protected]
Trevelyan
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unknown52)
for tons of extra statistics to get more credit try the website:
http://stats.football365.com
good luck every1!!!
Cheers for site... whoever you are.

Same here... i'm looking for more italian and english footy results too to compare.

So you lot reckon it isn't worth looking at attendances? Maybe an idea to put into your write-up is "The attendances aren't a factor worth considering, because..." ?

I haven't even answered question 1 yet, and it isn't long till we have to hand it in...
Trevelyan
Report 15 years ago
Has anyone got a copy of the sheet? We apparently arent allowed to take ours home, so I just spend my time doing the mean and all that...

Has anyone done theirs yet? Or, partially completed it and wouldn't mind PMing me it?

And one last thing - Surely attendance *would* have some significance - for example in the italian games a lot of the numbers seem rounded up. Could this be a full stadium? If so, this would mean that Italian football in Serie A is more popular than English Premier division football. However, some of the attendances are not there... so...

Another last thing (I'm good at this ) Can someone quickly say if the results on the site and on the sheet we were given are accurate?
bitchnig
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by xsarahx)
Same here i am doing the maths coursework on the football statistics and i dont have a clue what to do, and its got to be handed in, in 2 weeks time. If ne1 knows ne sites or infomation etc plzzzzzz plzzzzzz reply.
Thanksx

HI SXY IS THIS SARAH CLARKE FRM BEDFRD HIGH?
Trevelyan
Report 15 years ago
Someone else from bedford? Give me and LAv coursework... we pay good amounts of money...
david_w2k
Report 15 years ago
Hi,
Can anyone PLEASE send me their coursework as it is at the moment? Im doing A Levels at the moment, these are going fine, but to get into Manchester Uni i also need a grade C in maths (which i didnt get). I can do a swap with most other subjects coursework?

Help VERY much appreciated,
David
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)