Turn on thread page Beta

I was mulling over with an older, much wiser person, the observation that many people are driven with a desire to possess much more than they need to sustain a healthy life.

We talked about how many people relentlessly pursue the 'money God', acquiring property which they will never be able to live in themselves, using and manipulating to gain more 'filthy lucre' and denying others in favour of themselves.

And for what? Everything we possess is only on loan to us - we can never take it with us to eternity, but instead leave it all behind when we depart this earthly life. In turn, our inheritees face the same prospect.

Why are people so greedy?

ReputationRep:
    Some people are greedy, and I agree our society is becoming ever more characterised by greed and obscenities with money.

But you assume there is eternity. Not everone believes in that concept, so many would live by the philosophy of "oh well, live for today".

Being ambitious and acquiring wealth does afford you a nicer lifestyle, with more opportunities and it is in our families best interests to work hard so they are provided for when you are gone. But yes, some people are so obsessed they will do anything

I think people are so greedy because there is simply too much variety, too much to do and too much to have/buy. We live in a highly consumer driven society where advertising has a big impact. The obsession with being perfect ie modelling oneself of a celebrity all contributes.

ReputationRep:
    "Money can't buy happiness but at least you can be miserable in comfort" - Spike Milligan.

(Original post by red_roadkill)

But you assume there is eternity. Not everone believes in that concept, so many would live by the philosophy of "oh well, live for today".
    You are quite correct - it was only when I posted this new thread that I realised it was in 'general' D&D and not 'religion' sub-forum. If I had placed it where I had intended the responses would have been different, I assume.

Could an obliging mod move it please?

(Original post by Zoecb)
    "Money can't buy happiness but at least you can be miserable in comfort" - Spike Milligan.
    And he was an unhappy person for sure, so I guess he would know!

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.