The Student Room Group

Can you share a room with your boyfriend in Halls at Uni?!

Before I get into the whole sharing a room thing, quick question; is it really hard to get into the same university as your boyfriend?
Like, if we both applied for the same 5 I don't think it should be too difficult, should it? :confused:
We have been together 20 months so far, but by the time Uni comes around it will be more than 2 and a half years; after our 1st year we would be hoping to get a flat together anyway, but for our 1st year we would prefer being in a more secure campus. :p:

Also, we are really unsure about how the accomodation works at Uni's; if we did both get into the same one, can we request a shared room, or 2 singles in the same halls? Does anyone know how we would go about getting accomodation together/as near to each other as possible? Or do Universities have same sex policies? I have no idea how it works haha, any advice?
Any advice about going to Uni with your boyfriend would be useful. :smile:
Thank youuu x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most (and I imagine all) won't allow intersex room sharing in halls.
Reply 2
Good god its healthy for you to be apart some times at this age. Just apply the same uni, similarish accommodation, a breather from each other does a relationship the world of good.
Me and my boyfriend went to diff unis in the same city, and we each had a seperate uni room at our unis.
Also in first year you kinda want your own space for abit and to learn to be independant by making friends and going out. You wouldnt really wanna share a tiny room with your bf, ive tried it and it just doesnt work at stressful times.

But in the second year we moved in together and are gonna have loads of friends round instead :biggrin:

EDIT: Also living with your bf full time is really different from just staying over the night, it can get stressful at busy times and all im saying is you dont wanna have to pick up his dirty socks from the floor :s-smilie:
Reply 4
amydee:)
Before I get into the whole sharing a room thing, quick question; is it really hard to get into the same university as your boyfriend?
Like, if we both applied for the same 5 I don't think it should be too difficult, should it? :confused:
We have been together 20 months so far, but by the time Uni comes around it will be more than 2 and a half years; after our 1st year we would be hoping to get a flat together anyway, but for our 1st year we would prefer being in a more secure campus. :p:

Also, we are really unsure about how the accomodation works at Uni's; if we did both get into the same one, can we request a shared room, or 2 singles in the same halls? Does anyone know how we would go about getting accomodation together/as near to each other as possible? Or do Universities have same sex policies? I have no idea how it works haha, any advice?
Thank youuu x

The matching halls depends on the Uni. Some allow you to choose which ones you want some don't. Easiest is to just apply randomly and hope for a room swap with someone.
Reply 5
Firstly.. everyone soon will be telling you its a bad idea etc.. why would you want to do that ...you'll need your own space....etc etc... same replies I had when I had this problem...

Me and my boyfriend applied for the same uni and same course actually (both doing computing, met at college) .. when it came to the accommodation I rang up the Uni to find out their policy's...for my uni they wouldn't allow boyfriend and girlfriend to share.. (even tho its 2010.. and not 1940)... Because we already live together and have done for a year now it wasn't an option to live in separate halls .. so I started ringing around for rented places that were suitable for students e.g. good price range.. I rang one who tried to tell me that me and my boyfriend could live together..we'd just have to pay for two rooms... which again was pointless.. and expensive.. eventually after some research i finally found a flat for us both which turns out to be cheaper than uni halls and also absolutely massive lol..

so my advice to you is;

Ring your uni...find out what their policy is .. (my friend and his girlfriend at Lancaster were able to share a studio flat together .. so some uni's do accept it)
If there policy is against it then start researching for rented places for you and your boyfriend that are student friendly e.g. not going to rip you off...
Hopefully you'll find some good ones.. shop around.. make sure you find somewhere nice that will be within what you both can afford.

Hope this helped!..
Reply 6
It really really does depend on the uni. Some may cater to requests of location near each other, some won't.

Some will have stuff like shared rooms (which would usually be the same sex though) or two bedroom studios (which is probably your best bet for sharing- you share a bathroom and maybe kitchen between two).

However, I know you want to be close, but I really wouldn't worry about it. If you are going to the same uni then you can apply for the same types of room (even if you can't get flats next to each other) and then it won't be far.

In many unis all of the accommodation is not too far from each other and you can stay over each others every night if you so wish (not many halls have rules on people staying over, but you should ask about this on open days or looking on their website/emailing them). So it's not like you have to properly live apart.

Plus that way if you want to have say a girly night of getting ready or he wants to have a guys night, whatever that entails, the other of you has somewhere comfy they can go. I also find it's nice to have separate rooms you can decorate and arrange how you like, eg my boyfriend is dead messy, we stayed at his almost every night towards the end of last year and it killed me how disorganised everything was! Also I missed my nice things like pictures up and things on the noticeboard etc. With two separate rooms you get those benefits and can still spend every night together if you want to.

I honestly understand why you want to be together though, and don't have an issue with that, I just think it's so much easier with uni run accommodation and this might make it impossible to be in the same room, just trying to show if that's the case it'll still be fine :smile:

Uni wise depends on lots- grades, number of applicants, course etc etc, but with five choices I'd say it's likely you'll get at least one offer together.
Reply 7
You definitely won't get to share a room. And whether you'll get two singles in the same hall depends on each individual uni, but I know that some only allow you to choose what type of accommodation you want - so even if you both applied for single catered (for example) you may not end up in the same hall.

Also, just some advice: my best friend and her boyfriend applied for and got into the same uni on the basis that they were definitely going to stay together,had been going out for about 2 and a half years so about the same as you. However, they broke up over the summer before uni started, knew they were still both going to the same place, but because it's pretty big my best friend wasn't too worried. They ended up in halls on the opposite side of the road from each other, and have seen a LOT of each other over the past year, just from coming back from nights out/nights at the Union/etc, and I know it's made her first year at uni that little bit harder.
Reply 8
I live in Manchester and my boyfriend and I are hoping to go to Exeter, which is going to be disappointing if one of us doesn't get in as we'll have to deal with the whole long distance relationship business, so I can understand your concerns.

Getting the offers probably won't be too hard to match if you choose the same 5, it just depends on the grades you need and are capable of as to whether you both actually get in come results day.

The accommodation completely depends on the uni you go to, so your best checking the websites for that. There maybe some shared rooms but most are single and often unisex. I think it's also worth considering having separate accommodation, at least for the first year, so that you fully allow yourself to make new friends without you being seen as inseparable. You'd still be able to see him lots but it'd also allow some alone time, which is always needed in my opinion!
marshey
Most (and I imagine all) won't allow intersex room sharing in halls.

:yep:

Some of us pray that this policy remains in place for many years to come, sexual activity in the room next door is not entirely healthy for my sleeping pattern.

Nor is the all night bitching about the overall relationship and all the other meaningless carry-on that modern teenager's indulge in.

:rolleyes:
Some unis offer couples/families accomodation (Cardiff do), but priority would most likely be given to people older than you in more established relationships; two childhood sweethearts who have never lived with each other on their own won't be taken particularly seriously. You definitely won't be able to share a room in normal halls. If you really want to share a room you'd be better off looking for private accomodation. Also, by living with your boyfriend straight away you'd be taking a big risk; if you've not lived together before then you can't possibly know what it's like, and also you risk missing out on meeting other people because you have a safety net to fall back upon all the time. If I were you I'd live in the same halls or even in nearby halls, so you can have a bit of space when needed in order to make new friends etc. but still see each other as much as you want
Reply 11
the_educated1

Some of us pray that this policy remains in place for many years to come, sexual activity in the room next door is not entirely healthy for my sleeping pattern.

Nor is the all night bitching about the overall relationship and all the other meaningless carry-on that modern teenager's indulge in.

Knock one out.

Swings and roundabouts!
marshey
Knock one out.

Swings and roundabouts!

Having sex in halls is either glorified, dismissed as normal or laughed off. In my flat in first year we had a tally that we marked off for every time we heard a particularly vocal flatmate, then a separate tally for each time we'd had sex in the flat (which I refused to participate in).

Being caught masturbating, not so much.
RightSaidJames

Ewwww that happened to my friend, he walked in on his mate, said oh your busy and walked straight back out lol :rofl:
Reply 14
RightSaidJames
Having sex in halls is either glorified, dismissed as normal or laughed off.

Being caught masturbating over the couple bonking next door though..!

I think the only thing worse would be being caught masturbating looking into a mirror.
Reply 15
Like, if we both applied for the same 5 I don't think it should be too difficult, should it?

We have been together 20 months so far, but by the time Uni comes around it will be more than 2 and a half years; after our 1st year we would be hoping to get a flat together anyway, but for our 1st year we would prefer being in a more secure campus.

Thank youuu x

Being boyfriend and girlfriend doesnt make it anymore unlikely or likely, it depends if you can both get the grades though obviously. You also need to get a place there first but I definitely definitely definitely wouldnt let him influence where you go to study.

It depends on the uni's, which ones are you planning on applying/applied to?
Reply 16
the_educated1

Reeeeeally don't appreciate the patronising.

As for everyone else, thanks for the replies :smile: I've really thought about it and we would both be happy with just going to the same Uni and having seperate rooms, I think sharing might be pushing it.. The dirty socks comment gave me doubts haha! Thanks for the advice, think we'll go for the same Uni (we both have picked 5 which turned out to be the same 5 anyway!)
If a Uni has different colleges within it, how does that work, like how far apart would they be, do they put people doing the same course in one college or just randomly select?
Hopefully we should both get at least one offer from the same Uni! We both have pretty good grades (both got AAB from AS courses)
Fingers and toes crossed :')
Reply 17
I have no idea why you would want to share a room. I think couples are sad for deliberately applying to the same uni (unless, by chance, it happens to be the best uni for both of them). In reality (no offence) you are a naive 17 year old. If you are supposed to be together, you will manage being at separate unis. Perhaps if one of you goes to Exeter and one of you is at Aberdeen it will be a little harder, but there are plenty of unis within 2/3 hours of each other. I was 4 hours away from my girlfriend and we stayed together. Now she will only be 50 minutes away as she is in London, which will be nice. We have been together 3 years. If you must go to the same uni - do you really need to share a room? If it were me I would want my own room so I can play fifa with the lads/do my work/whatever without my girl hassling me. Seriously, being a 5 minute walk from each other is hardly going to be a strain on your relationship is it? :rolleyes:
Kids eh
Reply 18
the_educated1

You think it's bad in the room next door? try having it in the same room as you. Including loud fights at 3am.
If a Uni has different colleges within it, how does that work, like how far apart would they be, do they put people doing the same course in one college or just randomly select?
Hopefully we should both get at least one offer from the same Uni! We both have pretty good grades (both got AAB from AS courses)
Fingers and toes crossed :')

It depends on the uni... if you go to Oxford/Cambridge then the colleges are spread out all over town (which still isn't too far, both towns are pretty centralised). Whereas at Durham and Lancaster the colleges are all on campus hence a bit closer together.

As for colleges, you get to choose which ones you prefer. At Oxbridge certain colleges only offer certain subjects, but at Durham or Lancaster (and any other collegiate unis that aren't Oxbridge) your subject has nothing to do with which college you end up in; you can apply to any college with any subject.

EDIT - To someone in the know: Am I right in thinking that Durham has two campuses? Does each campus have its own separate colleges?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending