This discussion is closed.
ChaoticMaster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have a friend who is going to Newcastle next year and is worried about how safe the area is. Does anyone know what is the safest part of Newcastle to live in?
Lau1187
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe this thread will help

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=917600
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 10 years ago
St James' Park.
Pop_tart
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, my partner comes from Newcastle. Newcastle overall is pretty safe, but like most places there are 'good' and 'bad' places. Central Newcastle is very nice, but as you can imagine very loud at night and this goes for all of the immediate areas and it's rather expensive.

If I were you I'd go to Gateshead - perhaps the Dunston/Whickham areas. They are a few miles away from the university but you can get the 97 and 98 Bus to Newcastle fairly easily. You have have a wonderful view on Newcastle from the bank up there as well. Definitely worth having a look, honestly!

btw dont worry about Raul Mort :P he actually comes from Birtley which is not in the central Newcastle area.
siliconandproud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nowhere in newcastle is safe darling, it's ful of scoundrels, ****s and pikeys lol

xoxo
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticMaster)
I have a friend who is going to Newcastle next year and is worried about how safe the area is. Does anyone know what is the safest part of Newcastle to live in?
Newcastle is one of the safest cities in the country. The crime stats are there for all to see. Along with Sheffield, it's probably has the lowest crime rates of any major city. Far lower than much of London, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Its crime rate is comparable to Kensington and Chelsea in London. And I don't think many will think that's a rough/high crime area!

That said, it does have its deprived areas with a higher crime rate than others. The trendy/student/young profesional areas are in the most affluent and safest part of the city like the city centre, Jesmond, Heaton and Gosforth.

Places in the west to avoid include Elswick and Scotswood. Places in the east include Walker and Byker.

stick to the usual areas; the city centre, Jesmond, Heaton and Gosforth and he'll be fine. Outside Newcastle then Tynemouth (urban seaside location), Whickham (surburban location), Rowlands Gill and Ryton (semi-rural locations), Wylam (rural village) are also worth looking at. Although I imagine that Wylam will be too expensive.

Ryton's claim to fame is that it was mentioned on Coronation Street. It's where Curly and his wife left to leave ("a lovely town caled Ry-ton"). Couldn't pronounce it properly though :hmpf: It's Ry-tun

Hexham, a market town (and my place of birth!), is a lovely place. Although again it will be expensive and probably too far from Newcastle (although you can commute there by train easily enough).

As with all city centres (especially those with the party/nightclub scene that Newcastle has) it does get a bit rowdy especially on the weekends and around the Bigg Market and Quayside. But I've never felt threatened or been assaulted.

I've been assaulted in respectable, suburban, semi-rural areas. But never in Newcastle city centre. I think that says a lot (and also tells you how better policed city centres are compared to suburbs).

(Original post by Pop_tart)
Well, my partner comes from Newcastle. Newcastle overall is pretty safe, but like most places there are 'good' and 'bad' places. Central Newcastle is very nice, but as you can imagine very loud at night and this goes for all of the immediate areas and it's rather expensive.

If I were you I'd go to Gateshead - perhaps the Dunston/Whickham areas.
:rofl: OK, Whickham's nice, but Dunston is called Dumpston for a reason, and I'd hardly call the view of the river (undeveloped land overlooking the west of Newcastle) is nice. It's hardly what you'll get further down the River, like at Ryton - where I'm originally from: -

Still easily accessible, with a bus to Newcastle every eight minutes (even if it does take 35 minutes travel time)

Or up the river, like the Quayside/Newcastle city centre:-

But as I said, Whickham is nice. Lobley Hill (top of Dunston going into Gateshead "proper" ) isn't bad. The only part of Gateshead "proper" that I could recommend is Low Fell. That's quite a nice area, urban with Victorian and Edwardian semis.

If you're going to go that far out of the city, you might as well go as far west as Ryton. That way you really are in a semi-rural, small town with low crime rate.

But, as a student, it's best to stick to the usual student areas. The student union probably has a list of landlords and agents they can recommend. I imagine few, if any, will be in the places like Whickham and certainly not Ryton. Best to stick with landlords used to students (also helps to reduce the friction with the local community - many family areas might not be keen on an influx of students).

he actually comes from Birtley which is not in the central Newcastle area.
Fenham actually, which is in Newcastle, but I won't be pedantic :p:

Edit: - I didn't mean for this post to be patronising and, especially for a non-student, Whickham is a good recommendation. I just have a certain "thing" for Dunston.
ChaoticMaster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thank you for all the replies :-) I will pass the information on to my friend. I apologise for the slow reply I've been really busy with work and forgot to check back.
TheStudentBrothel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well i used to walk from one of the roughest part of newcastle...fenham.....at night to heaton to my girlfriends place in heaton 3/4 times a week...sometimes past midnight/11pm.....and not once had any bother off anyone...Not bad for a 4/5 mile walk around newcaqstle night!
abhayveer02
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey Got an unconditional offer from University of Newcastle. Want to know the 'no go areas' of Newcastle upon Tyne. Although I got to know, its a student friendly city with a kick ass night life, but every city has bad areas which is to be avoided. By the way I am a brown skin, Hindu guy(An Indian)Image.

Some guy said that do not travel in a bus or train, take taxi instead. Also, I want to know the areas that I should avoid to go in night.
VickyDoodle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's honestly really safe, I feel fine here
I live in Fenham, did so last year too, and I'll happily walk back here with my friend at 2 in the morning - bit iffy about walking back solo, but that's just me being paranoid. One time I walked back at 11pm and had two guys stop me - scary moment - but they were actually stopping to ask if I was OK, and saying I shouldn't be out at night on my own so nothing bad!
Most studenty areas are Jesmond and Sandyford,followed by Heaton. I think.I wouldn't stay in Byker from what I've been told, but honestly never been there so can't judge!

(Original post by abhayveer02)
Some guy said that do not travel in a bus or train, take taxi instead. Also, I want to know the areas that I should avoid to go in night.
Buses and trains are fine, don't see why you shouldn't take them! I always get the last bus home from town... only time the train wasn't pleasant was coming back from Durham's Lumiere festival, and that's just because it was crowded. Oh, and on Derby day. But that is one (kinda scary) day a season, if that.
Ninabeeramzan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
no one has ever said anything bad to me or any of my family I have 10 siblings animal minute dad so if they're not going to see nothing to us as a massive family who are Pakistani Muslims I don't think they're going to criticize you match at home Fenham is one of the greatest areas in the world as I love my childhood I love my childhood home it was an amazing childhood and I'm also hoping to live there again as an adult it was so easy the multicultural which also really helps helps with your child helps with yourself so yeah it's really good but as a student you're probably have a lot of fun because there are different types of people to meete there's a different types of people to meet
tavernelle11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am thinking of moving to dunston as I don't know the area, do you think I will survive as a 72 year old!!!!?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
Looking to move to dunston nice house there I can afford will I survive or is it too dangerous!!!?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (546)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (664)
41.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.53%

Watched Threads