Looking to study in the UK Watch

This discussion is closed.
xCK 06x
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hello everybody!

I am an American student in high school currently, though I have been researching to go to college in the UK for many years. My hopes are currently set on Richmond University in London. I have been looking forward to going to this college for a long time. Though, there are still some questions on my mind. I am taking my SATs this year (nation test that tests your verbal and math reasoning in the US), would anybody know what score you would need by any chance? Also, if my dreams of being accepted into Richmond are not meet, could anybody inform me on any other colleges that would be good for me to apply to (I am not sure if it matters if I live in the US or not). I only know of Richmond University as a unversity in the UK. Thank you all so very much for reading this, and thank you in advance for all help!
fayzd
Report 16 years ago
well, richmond university is an american university in the uk, so you probably won't experience the full englishness of a real english uni...

What is it you want to study? different universities are good for different things....
xCK 06x
Im not 100% sure what I want to do yet. I have been thinking about studying....to sum it all into a catagory Humanities & Social Sciences (psycology, social sciences, ect.) or there is a possiblity of communications (more or less a backup plan). Though, I still would like to reaserch more. Thank you for all help in advnace!
xCK 06x
I was also wondering of their is anyway to search for UK unis or find a list of universities...thank you!
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
hi =)

i think i had a similar problem. i attend an international school (where most people continue to study in US), so i didnt know anything about UK education.

As far as I know, only a few schools in UK consider SAT. are you taking AP's? i have heard from some people that AP can be considered since it is about at the same level as A Level and IB. (unless as fayzd said, if richmond is actually american, then u'll only need SATs)

for a list of universities, you can check school ranking lists (but dont depend on them). www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html

also, try www.britishcouncil.org (great for international students) and www.ucas.org (have to apply through ucas. deadline in Jan 15. quick!)

good luck!
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
hi again

sorry for the links (ignore them) they're messed up.

these are the right ones:

school rankings

www.britishcouncil.org

www.ucas.com

=)
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by xCK 06x)
I was also wondering of their is anyway to search for UK unis or find a list of universities...thank you!
Yup, on the UCAS website you can look at a list of all the British universities and also a list of all the courses available from any uni in the UK.

List of UK courses
List of UK unis

Both of those are taken from the website of the charity that you have to apply through to go to uni in the UK. They're actually for 2004 entry, as 2005 entry hasn't been put up yet, but little of it will change, especially for popular courses such as psychology.
xCK 06x
I am taking the following AP class: AP Spanish, AP English, and AP Government. Plus any information about how I must apply to UK schools (since the grading systems are diffrent), and what they will look / expect from me as an American Student (ie. will they look at my GPA, standerized tests, ect)? Thank you once more.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by xCK 06x)
I am taking the following AP class: AP Spanish, AP English, and AP Government. Plus any information about how I must apply to UK schools (since the grading systems are diffrent), and what they will look / expect from me as an American Student (ie. will they look at my GPA, standerized tests, ect)? Thank you once more.
if u are doing any APs for richmond u shuld get in.....the standards arent exactly high.....if u have 1000+ and like 600 in 2-3 sat2 u shouldnt have a prob.....not sure bout GPA n stuff though......
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
hi =)

i'm applying to both UK and US schools, and I didnt send anything about my GPA to UK. they did not request any school transcript. but they care about your test results, especially the more challenging ones. it is good to take several AP's in your Junior year, thus, when you are applying you'll already have some scores to let the universities know how you're performing. (i took only one AP in my junior year, calc AB, but i'm also taking IB exams this may. i reported my sat's and ap scores; not the official report from ETS, i only listed them in the UCAS form)

are you familiar with common application? UCAS is similar to that. for any school you want to apply in UK, you need to fill only ONE application through the UCAS system (great isnt it? I had to do around 7 different personal statements for my US apps ). there, you'll report your exam grades (SAT, AP, etc), write 1 personal statement, and have one teacher write a recommendation/reference.

i don't really know about psych, but i heard from vavavoom that nottingham is 1st in psychology.

xCK 06x
In my school you can only take one AP course in your Junior year (either English or global). In addition, you only take your AP tests in your senrior year, also that is when I will be taking the most AP courses. Will this hinder my chances of getting into a college / uni?
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
i dont think so.. as far as i know, the uk students themselves take their A-level exams in their last year of high school. that's why universities' decisions are conditional (they will give you an offer; you have to achieve certain grades, which are different depending on the student and the school). if later on your grades are okay, you can attend.

yeah , every school has rather different policies about taking AP's although actually you can take APs any year even without taking the courses. but, dont worry. just do well on your courses and have a teacher to write a good rec for you (saying that you're doing well and expecting to get good AP scores etc )

oh, when you have decided which schools you're applying to, you have to make some kind of contact with them, because you're not a 'traditional' applicant who take A-levels etc. different school will have different policies about internationals.
xCK 06x
Kosine thank you so very much for your informatuon! You are a true lifesaver. What grades do you think I should maintain in school? I maintain 90's and high 80's, though high enough and I work hard enough to get into AP classes. Also I can get good recomendations from my teachers for I often leave a good reputation with them (doing all my work, taking on challenging tasks, going the extra mile ect.). I'm just nervous about applying lol.
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
hehe.. no problem! i'm also getting help here from the others
try to maintain grades as high as possible (you'll make an even better impression on the teacher who're writing your rec!). 80-90 percent is good; to get 5's in AP (and 7's in IB), you need to get around 75-80% of the marks in the exam.

good luck!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads