is st. mary's really that bad? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
St Marys sounds great, ok so theres a lack of men but just think of all the benefits that has....no sexism and loadza girl laughes! plus its not like the men would be too far away!
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi Ez :wavey:
ezmirelda
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sazzle)
Hi Ez :wavey:
:jawdropblue: fancy seeing you here!

Loads of people ask if living in an all girls college is a *****y experience, but it's really not. Ok, there are some *****y people, but that doesn't make it any *****ier a place than anywhere else!

if you don't get on with people, you don't spend much time with them. there are over 300 people living in, so loads of friends to be made. we're all grown ups!

ez
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ezmirelda)
:jawdropblue: fancy seeing you here!

Loads of people ask if living in an all girls college is a *****y experience, but it's really not. Ok, there are some *****y people, but that doesn't make it any *****ier a place than anywhere else!

if you don't get on with people, you don't spend much time with them. there are over 300 people living in, so loads of friends to be made. we're all grown ups!

ez
Well I'm not. And I don't get along with girls well. st.Mary's would be better of without me.
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hey thanks everyone for your opinions.

it's not the lack of men as such but more the fact that there are too many girls - i find i get on better with guys and i don't like being judged on everything i wear/say/think (which is my main fear in an all girls college - i imagined it getting quite *****y at times). however i am reassured by the news that it's to become a mixed college, and am not completely put off it now.

i would also much rather be in a bailey college as its more central and not so hilly(!). the buildings are much prettier as well (i'm used to living in an area that's really quite attractive and i don't fancy the idea of living in massive concrete blocks. despite university college having these blocks at least i have a nice walk home! when i visited it i was thinking as i walked up to the college "will i really be energetic enough to walk up this hill everyday?" (bear in mind my subject choice has no relation to any science so you can rule out that argument!).

i guess i'd better wait for an offer first tho eh?!

thanks again for your help!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pinkegokane)
i am reassured by the news that it's to become a mixed college, and am not completely put off it now.
Probably won't go co-ed while you're there for legal reasons.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)

good point! :rolleyes:
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
good point! :rolleyes:
Single sex is generally a good thing though (IMHO). Don't write it off just because of that. In a mixed college you would probably be on an all-female corridor anyway.

OldBailey
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
The changes at Mary's will come into effect for admissions in October 2005. And I think I'm right in saying in that 3rd year you can go back into college, so you could potentially be there with guys. For the full article go to: http://www.dur.ac.uk/news.service/more.php?item_type=news&itemID=4 92

In fact there are about 5 male post-grads in Mary's already, and because Mary's has different wings in the building, it should be fairly easy to make the change. And although Pinkegokane said that in a mixed college you'll be in an all-female corridor, at my college at least in Durham they just mixed it up.
twobrassbuttons
Report 16 years ago
i've applied to durham to university college but fear if i don't get into castle i'll be put in st mary's cos i'm a girl. i'd much rather be put in a) a bailey college and b) a mixed college and i'm thinking of rejecting the offer if i get one.

but i want to know first, what do current durham students really think of st. marys? particularly those at st marys...
Marys is ok if you want a single sex college where the 'Toastie bar' regularly smokes the whole building out (its in the basement of the main building).You should apply to my college which is not a college, but a society. St. Cuthberts or 'Cuths' is a truly unique experience in itself. A Bailey college it has amongst other things Durham superior sports teams (Rugby, Hockey, football, netball and rowing etc) a great bar and a very good mix of public school and state pupils with a large dash of mature students (over 21) thrown in. You are more likely to be in the company of the former Captain of school at Eton, an ex SAS sergeant and a person who obtained their first degree 20 years ago, the society is that diverse. Uni. or the castle is very elitist and unlike cuths have a rule where you have to where a gown to lunch and dinner (like most other colleges). It is full of people who gesticulate overly, too.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wouldn't it be funny if a guy applied to St Marys?
covered farm wagon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've heard that every year a few boys do apply to Mary's. I'm not sure what they do with their applications. But a year or two ago, rumour says that a boy called Hillary got into Mary's, but when he turned up he had to be moved to another college. Tee hee.
citcatcotpot
Report 15 years ago
In my year (2002 - gah, that makes me feel OLD!) there were apparently 6 guys who applied directly to Mary's...

And, btw Linda, aspects of me are totally tomboyish - I admit it gladly - and most of my best friends are guys. Despite being at Mary's. I still have men as friends (and not only because they have cars and I live a long walk away from the city centre! Cars *are* best for Tesco hauls, too...), but met loads of really great people through college as well. Durham isn't as insular as some people would have you believe...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads