This discussion is closed.
hattori
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
oh come off it.

to suggest that this project is anything but a monstrous waste of money is ridiculous.

a few incidental advances in medicine don't change that.
this is exactly what im talking about, do you people actually read? Why don't you do some research before sharing your views on forums?

There's a few if you just look at two webpages!! but why don't you try and look everything that's been produced and not just in medicine.

Incidental...I don't think if anyone, even you, would complain if the cure for cancer was a spinoff.

As for it being a waste of money.. well economic growth is led by innovation and nasa is definetly found a good way to drive that innovation.

by the way, even if there was no spin offs from space, no gain in our quality of life I would still think that exploring our environment and witnessing the beauty of it all makes space exploration important.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hattori)
this is exactly what im talking about, do you people actually read? Why don't you do some research before sharing your views on forums?

There's a few if you just look at two webpages!! but why don't you try and look everything that's been produced and not just in medicine.

Incidental...I don't think if anyone, even you, would complain if the cure for cancer was a spinoff..
No, I'd complain that spending £XX billion going to Mars is nowhere near the most effective way of curing cancer. And, yes, it is "incidental" in as much as you can be sure it didn't figure whatsoever in the decision to go to Mars..

As for it being a waste of money.. well economic growth is led by innovation and nasa is definetly found a good way to drive that innovation..
Spurious at best. Besides, wouldn't that be government interference in the market? .

by the way, even if there was no spin offs from space, no gain in our quality of life I would still think that exploring our environment and witnessing the beauty of it all makes space exploration important.
i'd agree. but only after we manage to feed everyone on the planet, first.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hehe, whats it like up there?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
hehe, whats it like up there?
oh, very cool. not much atmosphere though.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, I'd complain that spending £XX billion going to Mars is nowhere near the most effective way of curing cancer. And, yes, it is "incidental" in as much as you can be sure it didn't figure whatsoever in the decision to go to Mars..

Spurious at best. Besides, wouldn't that be government interference in the market? .

yeah but you get to land on mars and on the side may cure cancer,aids, give the world satellite tv, how great is that think of it as too birds with one giant stone.

but only after we manage to feed everyone on the planet, first
space program has led to advances in food technology too
way2go
Report 15 years ago
No, I'd complain that spending £XX billion going to Mars is nowhere near the most effective way of curing cancer.
A different perspective of research will obviously lead to new breakthroughs. The same can be said for the research to osteoporosis. This is a form of decalcification, which is often encountered at aged people. Astronauts suffer from the same disorder after extended periods in microgravity. This problem is likely to occur when astronauts are sent to Mars.

However, from the beginning of human space flight, life sciences space research has mainly been concentrated on this problem, e.g. on board of the 1980's Spacelab, the MIR and currently the ISS. Breakthroughs have been made, and there are many yet to come. The cures that are being developed do not only serve astronauts, but also tens of millions of aged people suffering from this disease. Microgravity is therefore a very interesting platform for medicine research.

[in the meanwhile still reading the articles]
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Although at first glance, sending humans to Mars may seem like a waste of money, I believe there are huge benefits to be gained.

For starters, the Mars mission will necessitate the need for developing new technology which will ultimately be used on Earth for all our benefit.

An example that springs to mind, is the creation of a genetically modified wheat that is planned to be used on the Mars mission which grows extremely quickly, grows efficiently (little wastage) and is highly resistant to disease. This new form of wheat is already being developed by NASA in anticipation of a manned Mars mission. This could eventually be used to improve the food situation on Earth.

There are many more examples of the benefits of technology developed originally for use in space but my mind has died following a hard days work lol.

In addition, this will be the next big step in our exploration of our solar system and later on maybe other star systems. We have to start somewhere so it may as well be Mars.

See you on Mars!
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Actually, advancing technology is he main weapon against hunger. Its not that long ago famines occured in Europe as well. Furthermore, if you put all money into project which will only benefit the poor of the world your economy will quickly collapse and then you will become the poor of the world.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
Furthermore, if you put all money into project which will only benefit the poor of the world your economy will quickly collapse and then you will become the poor of the world.
i didn't suggest putting "all money" into it.

that would be self-evidently silly.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i didn't suggest putting "all money" into it.

that would be self-evidently silly.
So the real question is therefore what would be the best balance of teh US economy in terms of investment. Surely not a topic which is easily analyzed....
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
So the real question is therefore what would be the best balance of teh US economy in terms of investment. Surely not a topic which is easily analyzed....
correct.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed