Would you pay to use uk-learning? Watch

This discussion is closed.
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just out of interest would you? It costs money for the space, bandwidth and other things and someone has to pay it. Is it unfair d has to stump up the cash just so we can talk to each other?

I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount (maybe £5 a year or so) to talk on a forum with no server busy messages. what do other people think?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Just out of interest would you? It costs money for the space, bandwidth and other things and someone has to pay it. Is it unfair d has to stump up the cash just so we can talk to each other?

I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount (maybe £5 a year or so) to talk on a forum with no server busy messages. what do other people think?
Well nobody is forcing D is host this so he can close it down if he decides he cannot afford it any longer.

I think getting a proper company to sponer the site may be a better idea. I personaly wouldn't mind paying £5 but the majority of users will be against it so the forum will just die.

The problems seem to be fixed for now anyway.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm pretty sure that no new members would join if there were a fee. I have never seen any other forums which charge for use.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
should be a donation button but no, i wouldnt pay for its use

half my pay would be towards crap threads and stupid off topic posts
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
um that wouldnt be such a good idea.

You would still have server problems as you must let people view it and stuff, and paying would kill it pretty badly.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
um that wouldnt be such a good idea.

You would still have server problems as you must let people view it and stuff, and paying would kill it pretty badly.
very few would visit the site anymore, it would ruin the forum for what it is - a popular free, student forum.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)

No... the internet should remain a free service.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no there shouldnt be a charge, it would just be another greedy excuse to make money that isnt needed
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If money's an issue he'll just have to get more advertising on the site. If people don't like it they can give him money and they won't have to see them.

I'm sorry, but i wouldn't pay for this forum, there are other forums available that cover a wider range of topics which i find useful and visit regularly.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i remember the same topic back in the old days of the august/september blackouts. i think the overall response was that there should be the option to donate money.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nope
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i remember the same topic back in the old days of the august/september blackouts. i think the overall response was that there should be the option to donate money.
How would that work? Most users don't have credit cards or debit cards even. They could send money through the post i guess, but it's hardly a very good method of donating money.
maljosh
Report 16 years ago
no way, this forum isn't worth £5 a year. Most of the topics are waste of memory... sometimes you ask a proper question and no1 will seem to understand what you mean...
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nope
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
How would that work? Most users don't have credit cards or debit cards even. They could send money through the post i guess, but it's hardly a very good method of donating money.
back in them old days most users did have credit/debit cards (it has only recently become infected with 11 year olds)
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
somethingawful.com operates a pay forums, and it works well, but I wouldn't pay, and I don't think many would.

Truth is it's very hard to make a site pay for itself with advertising, I've tried it many times, and gotten about 50% return.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Maybe one of the reasons why this forum is so popular is because it's free, annonymous and easy to use. True, some of us members who have been around for an age might pay to use it, but for those who are thinking of cutting down their usage, and for those who want to become a member, paying might put them off.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Maybe one of the reasons why this forum is so popular is because it's free, annonymous and easy to use. True, some of us members who have been around for an age might pay to use it, but for those who are thinking of cutting down their usage, and for those who want to become a member, paying might put them off.
Do you mean yourself? You only joined in June this year, it was only 6 maybe 7 months. Hardly "an age". I came here in June as an unregistered and registered in september, but i still wouldn't pay.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
One other forum I use uses merchandising to boost it's income http://www.efestivals.co.uk it has a sponsered link through to some of the major festival ticket providers (and gets a %age of ticket sales bought through that link), sells email addresses, tshirts, calendars, mugs, cds and jewelry bearing the sites logo.

Although it's not obvious if or how that could be repeated for uk learning...(unless we start publishing a guide to universities - and there are about 100 of those already (and some only cost 50p(the newspapers)))
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Do you mean yourself? You only joined in June this year, it was only 6 maybe 7 months. Hardly "an age". I came here in June as an unregistered and registered in september, but i still wouldn't pay.
I came earlier as an unregistered user, and I know that it really hasn't been an age, but it does feel like it. The site was really useful in preparation for the exams.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads