Fair enough, just pointing out that anything over 3 months is hardly "an age"
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Fair enough, just pointing out that anything over 3 months is hardly "an age"
Sorry, didn't quite mean it that way. Guess I should think 1st before writing. It's weird that 6 months ago, I hadn't even heard of UKL forums.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Sorry, didn't quite mean it that way. Guess I should think 1st before writing. It's weird that 6 months ago, I hadn't even heard of UKL forums.
Here we go, now this thread's going to be about when and how we found out about this forum.
ShOcKzZ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Just out of interest would you? It costs money for the space, bandwidth and other things and someone has to pay it. Is it unfair d has to stump up the cash just so we can talk to each other?

I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount (maybe £5 a year or so) to talk on a forum with no server busy messages. what do other people think?
If it meant that we were actually listened to, e.g ideas for making this forum a better place, then i wud definately pay.

E.g

*All rubbish threads should be deleted and all members who post rubbish regularly should be banned.

*Delete all the users who joined ages ago and have only made say 20 or less posts.

*Delete all members who haven't posted anything for say 3 months.

etc etc
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hang on a minute - what about those adverts at the bottom?

But no, it should be free - otherwise it would just be people who can afford to and are willing to spend money on forums, which is a minority. It would be the death knell of UKL.

How about registering it as a charity - you could apply for a lottery grant and also some sites offer cheaper hosting to charities.
Probably not a great idea, but I can't think of anything else *shrugs*
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think I'd pay either.

But can anybody answer this question? :

What does d gain from this by seeing us chat etc? He has to pay but hardly uses it himself. What's in it for him? Satisfaction?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
I don't think I'd pay either.

But can anybody answer this question? :

What does d gain from this by seeing us chat etc? He has to pay but hardly uses it himself. What's in it for him? Satisfaction?
I may be completly wrong but I am imagine he is an I.T developer, it would look very good on his CV running a forum like this. So I guess its kind of satifsfaction.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I may be completly wrong but I am imagine he is an I.T developer, it would look very good on his CV running a forum like this. So I guess its kind of satifsfaction.
Yeah, that might be right.

But looking at some of the posts, it can't look that good.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I'm sure he said he wasn't though.
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i would mind paying a lot.....but £5 is pretty ok...that is what i personally think !!!
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Just out of interest would you? It costs money for the space, bandwidth and other things and someone has to pay it. Is it unfair d has to stump up the cash just so we can talk to each other?

I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount (maybe £5 a year or so) to talk on a forum with no server busy messages. what do other people think?
much as i love it, i wouldn't pay. How come d never posts any more?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loftx)

Firstly, if cash was a problem, i'm sure there would be more ad's.
As for paying, to be honest, i don't know how you'd go about it.
I mean, what would the methods of payment be?
And people who need help in an instant, wont have time to sort out payment, and therefore could not ask for help, and the original point of this forum would be lost.
But in theory, i wouldn't mind paying a bit of money.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
Well originally the forum wasn't for us to chat in, so obviously he didn't pay to watch it get used as a chatroom like its now become. Originally it was to help people with coursework and stuff, and that would defeat the object of the furm if he made people pay for it.

There are sponsered links at the bottom of the page which make a bit of money for him. Seeing as he's had this forum for yonks, and hasn't once made a complaint about money, he's obviously not doing too badly from it.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Well originally the forum wasn't for us to chat in, so obviously he didn't pay to watch it get used as a chatroom like its now become. Originally it was to help people with coursework and stuff, and that would defeat the object of the furm if he made people pay for it.

There are sponsered links at the bottom of the page which make a bit of money for him. Seeing as he's had this forum for yonks, and hasn't once made a complaint about money, he's obviously not doing too badly from it.
I dont think a charge would work because it would discourage new users from joining, but yes I would be willing to pay.

Im back at uni Chicken! Just bought LCR tickets for next week, half of them have sold already. Its very quiet but 4 people in my flat are already back.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chris_)
I dont think a charge would work because it would discourage new users from joining, but yes I would be willing to pay.

Im back at uni Chicken! Just bought LCR tickets for next week, half of them have sold already. Its very quiet but 4 people in my flat are already back.
Half the LCR tickets have sold already? Jeez think i might have to get up early monday morning to get one then! Whats the network like? Does it at least work?
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Half the LCR tickets have sold already? Jeez think i might have to get up early monday morning to get one then! Whats the network like? Does it at least work?
It works just fine, nothing spectacular. Just the same as when it was working normally before. I forgot the power lead for my monitor so Ive just been to the ICT place to buy one :rolleyes:

There was about 5 people in front of me buying them when I was there and it looked like they had sold a lot.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
he forum might have helped loads of people who are stuck on problem with work and stuff. Also, you are able to wind down after an exam, and let out your feelings about it (very useful for after june's P3 exam). So that's something for d to be satisfied about.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Yeah - that's alright then. But I'm sure he has to pay more than he receives but still, it's very kind of him.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chris_)
It works just fine, nothing spectacular. Just the same as when it was working normally before. I forgot the power lead for my monitor so Ive just been to the ICT place to buy one :rolleyes:

There was about 5 people in front of me buying them when I was there and it looked like they had sold a lot.
Oh - i better not forget the power lead for my laptop otherwise that would be a bit of a disaster! I guess I had better start packing tomorrow, i know i'm bound to forget something as all my stuff all over the house!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
no i wouldnt pay, as much as i love this site, and i really do feel its part of me now, i arrived here because i was stuck and looking for help and if it charged, i wouldnt be here.

d wont take donations, but he wouldnt refuse anyone offering to buy him a pint...if he wasnt so mysterious...

he gets a lot of satisfaction from running the forum and seeing it so popular, as much as he moans that he has no money..if he's that short he'll just get more adverts n stuff and he could alwys sell it and make lots of money.

as for the t'shirt idea, id love a ukl t-shirt that would be so cool!

love Katy ***
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.32%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (119)
40.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise