self harm. stupidity or a cry for help? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i wanted to find out if self harm is just something we do out of childish stupidity or if there really is a deeper meaning. what does every1 else think?
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Am i having déja vu or did we cover this about 2 days ago?
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
yeah there was: http://www.uk-learning.net/showthrea...highlight=harm

its more than what you suggest imo, to ground yourself into reality one example
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah, might as well keep goin with this one, fo those that are interested: http://www.uk-learning.net/t21309.html
Blush Babe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
i wanted to find out if self harm is just something we do out of childish stupidity or if there really is a deeper meaning. what does every1 else think?
Well both actually....people who cut their wrists etc are troubled by feelings they cannot express and they cause themselves pain because they are ashamed (I am acqainted with living proofs) whilst a small minority want attention. It's not very clever to hurt yourself but many people don't know better (I've just done a drama theatre in education piece about this and it's still fresh in my mind)...
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blush Babe)
Well both actually....people who cut their wrists etc are troubled by feelings they cannot express and they cause themselves pain because they are ashamed (I am acqainted with living proofs) whilst a small minority want attention. It's not very clever to hurt yourself but many people don't know better (I've just done a drama theatre in education piece about this and it's still fresh in my mind)...
i used to do it when i was younger, it was my sort of release of everything that was inside me, it was always a private affair no1 could see me do it, i never even showed them off afterwards, ive now got three massive scars on my arm from the worst cuts, i used to think that one day they wont stop bleeding and if i wasnt there everything will be ok, i was ****ed up in the head, thankfully ive grown up and realised what i did im not ashamed i did it because if i hadnt i know it could have gone further, it was the only thing that made me happy.
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
believe me, its stupidity !!!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, it certainly isn't childish. It is something that people do, because they feel in some way that they need to.
It isn't a good thing to do, i know from experience, but it certainly isn't childish.
Its stupid, and pointless, but feels right when you do it.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its not always stupidity, as said there are people who do it for attention. When I was at college there was a bloke who did it purely for attention and now he looks crap. Those who do it for themselves rarely tell others about it. Thats just how it works - if you know someone is doing it its either because they went too far one time or are attention seeking.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ow, I cut my finger. I need help.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
one of my friends used to cut herself.....and burn her arm with a lighter. she had a problem with dealing with reality, and everytime something would go wrong withher boyfriend shed start doing it......her sister also started doing it....but the differene is her younger sis used to do it for attention...she went round telling people, showing them her arm.......it was a really sad situation. i guess people do it for different reasons....but i think a lot of time its a cry for attention and when u know someone who does it, its quite hard to know what to do because they need help
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Ow, I cut my finger. I need help.
... This is a serious issue.
CHAD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

two years ago, my 'friend' claimed she self-harmed and she may have done about one time but after that her circle of friends and others started to 'self-harm' and delibrately spread it about so they would get attention. I am not friends with these people anymore.
CHAD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
...................I am not saying all people do it for attention though.
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh shut up, it aint even that weird, its people's own body they can do what they want

take for instance when ur pissed off and u wanna feel pain, or give pain, so u punch something (a wall, a face, a pillow, whatever's ur thing), or u yell, or whatnot

a lot of people who cut are those who don't express their anger, and they feel disturbed because of this, and cutting their selves is like saying they've done something about their "pain"

it's just a shame some people do it so badly they bleed a lot, get scars, and put their self in danger
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
oh shut up, it aint even that weird, its people's own body they can do what they want

take for instance when ur pissed off and u wanna feel pain, or give pain, so u punch something (a wall, a face, a pillow, whatever's ur thing), or u yell, or whatnot

a lot of people who cut are those who don't express their anger, and they feel disturbed because of this, and cutting their selves is like saying they've done something about their "pain"

it's just a shame some people do it so badly they bleed a lot, get scars, and put their self in danger
nice point, the person who i know who would self harm has asparagers syndrome. I know another boy who used to do it and i think it was attention but also explatory. Sometimes pain feels good, when you punch something really hard for example of after you have done lots of sit ups, excruciating pain. Maybe they do it for kicks.
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by JSM)
nice point, the person who i know who would self harm has asparagers syndrome. I know another boy who used to do it and i think it was attention but also explatory. Sometimes pain feels good, when you punch something really hard for example of after you have done lots of sit ups, excruciating pain. Maybe they do it for kicks.
i wouldnt say its for kicks, its more for a release
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
WE did cover it, but the poster didn't realise that - he's just trying to cover as many contraversial topics as possible. I'm waiting for him to come out with something stupid now like
"Women: should they really be allowed in the workplace"
C*ck
J
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
WE did cover it, but the poster didn't realise that - he's just trying to cover as many contraversial topics as possible. I'm waiting for him to come out with something stupid now like
C*ck
J
lol, or this classic one that i hate discussing:

"Should execution be brought back in" or "is abortion acceptable" or "what is the meaning of life".

dull.........
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
C*ck
J
thats a good one that. you derserve some rep.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (389)
67.3%
No (189)
32.7%

Watched Threads