self harm. stupidity or a cry for help? Watch

This discussion is closed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
its true, i never once showed any1 my cuts, i used to wrap a towel around my arms when gettin out of the shower so i didnt have to run the risk of any1 seein it
But you have started a thread about it

Although it is easy to attention seek from strangers than it is from people who know you well.
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
But you have started a thread about it

Although it is easy to attention seek from strangers than it is from people who know you well.
That's a fair point. Maybe she just wants sympathy? Or perhaps its an actual attempt at starting a valid discussion...?
love_4_ducks
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i wanted to find out if self harm is just something we do out of childish stupidity or if there really is a deeper meaning. what does every1 else think?

theres always a deeper meaning
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
You stopped now?
i stopped when i was 14 (im 17 now) ive since realised just how stupid it was, i dont want sympathy i just want other people to put there ideas and views across on the subject
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I was responding to Kita's comment to Mr.White "what, that people do it purely for attention? I agree, some do. But some don't. And unless you've been there yourself, i don't think you can make a statement like that"

which seems to say that if you havn't experienced something you can't comment.

I disagreed by bring in the historian who's an expert on Agincourt but who nevertheless wasn't actually there.
Well i haven't done it to myself but i've been shown and told bout it by people alot closer than friends. Fair enough you are right there but i just wanna understand why people do it. I cant understand what would drive ppl to it!
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Barman)
Well i haven't done it to myself but i've been shown and told bout it by people alot closer than friends. Fair enough you are right there but i just wanna understand why people do it. I cant understand what would drive ppl to it!
mine was hatred for myself and the situation i was in, i hated my life at the time it just felt like everything was always dependent on me
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i stopped when i was 14 (im 17 now) ive since realised just how stupid it was, i dont want sympathy i just want other people to put there ideas and views across on the subject
That's fair.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
mine was hatred for myself and the situation i was in, i hated my life at the time it just felt like everything was always dependent on me
So, what made you think that causing yourself harm would rectify this?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i dont want sympathy i just want other people to put there ideas and views across on the subject
love_4_ducks
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my best mate cut herself, now shes stopped shes realsied that it was stupid
Amy
Rep:
?
So, what made you think that causing yourself harm would rectify this?
if i cut myself i had something other than what was going on around me to focus on, the physical pain drownd out all my emotions that i was feelin at the time, it was my release from reality
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by love_4_ducks)
my best mate cut herself, now shes stopped shes realsied that it was stupid
Nope... maybe she realised that someone actually cared, and so her cry for help was met?
Spc_K
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ultimatly stupidy... i mean the supreme enlightened wouldn't have need for such things.
But on the scale of why the person thinks etc. it's probably Attention seeking/Cutting off your nose to spite your face. (no pun intended)
love_4_ducks
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
Nope... maybe she realised that someone actually cared, and so her cry for help was met?

no it wasnt a cry for help, it weas her way of dealing with a very tought time
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if i cut myself i had something other than what was going on around me to focus on, the physical pain drownd out all my emotions that i was feelin at the time, it was my release from reality
Yes, I suspected as much. Physical pain diverts attention from emotional pain.
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had an old girlfriend that used to do the very same thing....it was because she hated her life and i couldn't do anything most of the time cause she stayed in Stonehaven and im 60miles away! How did you get over it??

Ps. Howz you the day??X
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I was responding to Kita's comment to Mr.White "what, that people do it purely for attention? I agree, some do. But some don't. And unless you've been there yourself, i don't think you can make a statement like that"

which seems to say that if you havn't experienced something you can't comment.

I disagreed by bring in the historian who's an expert on Agincourt but who nevertheless wasn't actually there.
No i didnt say it like that, i said that you cant ASSUME and STATE that people do it PURELY for attention as you and mr white were suggesting.
I think that is just ignorance
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by love_4_ducks)
no it wasnt a cry for help, it weas her way of dealing with a very tought time
Then it wasn't stupid? if it helped her deal with it?
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kita)
No i didnt say it like that, i said that you cant ASSUME and STATE that people do it PURELY for attention as you and mr white were suggesting.
I think that is just ignorance
People can't be generalised. The best you can do is make an assumption in such cases, which, as I said, is usually either attention-seeking or compensating for inner pain.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
People can't be generalised. The best you can do is make an assumption in such cases, which, as I said, is usually either attention-seeking or compensating for inner pain.
Right, thankyou, but at the beginning, you purely stated that it was for attention. All i was saying, is its wrong to assume that it is just based on attention seeking. Glad you see now that it isnt.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (244)
61.93%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.57%
No- I want it (106)
26.9%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.6%

Watched Threads