self harm. stupidity or a cry for help? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
I had an old girlfriend that used to do the very same thing....it was because she hated her life and i couldn't do anything most of the time cause she stayed in Stonehaven and im 60miles away! How did you get over it??
i realised that my situation was nothing compared to some people, i was fed up of dwellin on the past and i started to look forward the the future, i sometimes feel like doing it still its like an addition, but i think no, ive got so much goin for me and why would i waste that??

im ok, got my report yesterday so im abit pissed off with that, apart from that its all good!!
Matt the cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kita)
Right, thankyou, but at the beginning, you purely stated that it was for attention. All i was saying, is its wrong to assume that it is just based on attention seeking. Glad you see now that it isnt.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kita)
Right, thankyou, but at the beginning, you purely stated that it was for attention. All i was saying, is its wrong to assume that it is just based on attention seeking. Glad you see now that it isnt.
It's the most common cause, so I generalised. I respect that each person has their own motivation.
love_4_ducks
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
Then it wasn't stupid? if it helped her deal with it?

she thought it wld solve her pros. she tk a overdose then reaised
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Attention seeking. These people desire attention at any cost, and see self-harm as the means to attain it.
I proove my point
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
i realised that my situation was nothing compared to some people, i was fed up of dwellin on the past and i started to look forward the the future, i sometimes feel like doing it still its like an addition, but i think no, ive got so much goin for me and why would i waste that??
See thats the same as my ex.....i only ask because were still close friends and i think she might still do it. But say her family is going through a hard tim and she maybe cuts herself because her life is ****....what can ya say??? or cant u say anything at all??x
Schoolhazard
Report 16 years ago
i think that when people are having to cut themselves they are going through a very traumatic experience or they are having problems they are unable to tell anyone. It is not anything to be ashamed of but they do need help as it is not a good thing to do to your body as it is a precious thing.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's the most common cause, so I generalised. I respect that each person has their own motivation.
Did you not just state about 2 posts ago that people cant be generalised? Yet you did so yourself?
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by love_4_ducks)
she thought it wld solve her pros. she tk a overdose then reaised
Oh dear, well i'm glad she has realised
Spc_K
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do you honestly expect anything other than generalisations, things pre read and regurgetated (spelling?), do you honsetly expect help on this forum?! Where you don't know anyone and they don't know you..

If you analyse anything deeply, if you think a lot about anything, you end up with very simple answers and solutions, which can only be fully understood by those those who've also thought and analysed deeply. The answer is a conclusion, to which you come no matter what the process... any helpful information is, however, usually contained in the process.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kita)
Did you not just state about 2 posts ago that people cant be generalised? Yet you did so yourself?
Well yes. People can't be generalised, everyone is unique. But when talking about people in large numbers (ie. everyone who suffers from this affliction), then you don't have much choice - you have to go by statistics.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Schoolhazard)
i think that when people are having to cut themselves they are going through a very traumatic experience or they are having problems they are unable to tell anyone. It is not anything to be ashamed of but they do need help as it is not a good thing to do to your body as it is a precious thing.
I think you said that very well
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well yes. People can't be generalised, everyone is unique. But when talking about people in large numbers (ie. everyone who suffers from this affliction), then you don't have much choice - you have to go by statistics.
so where are your statistics that people self harm for attention?
love_4_ducks
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
Oh dear, well i'm glad she has realised
me n all
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kita)
DSM-IV. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
Spc_K
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
here:

70% believed to be doing it for attention
10% believed to be faking it for attention
20% believed the statistics they got about other afflictions and concluded they too should, statistically, be practising self harm
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kita)
Well i know some people that have, and it was for self admittedly for attention... along with dealing with other aspects of their life... some people just want to be heard.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
DSM-IV. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
so, that says that everybody who slef harms does it for attention?
Well I, and I'm sure many other people would disagree with that. Very strongly
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think, looking at it analytically. If someone self-harms, we assume they aren't dead, otherwise you'd be talking about suicide. Unless it's a suicide attempt gone wrong, which is unlikely imo, then they are essentially self-harming with the awareness (perhaps subconscious) that they most likely will not die as a result - i.e. slitting your wrist. Hence it seems only logical that, to at least a subconscious extent, it's a behaviour which seeks attention and is probably a 'cry for help'. If they did not want attention/seek help (at all levels of their consciousness), then self harm is unlikely, or would have lead to death.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kita)
so, that says that everybody who slef harms does it for attention?
Well I, and I'm sure many other people would disagree with that. Very strongly
You're not listening! When it comes to dealing with large groups of people, you have to generalise! I can't say that everyone with the same condition has it for the same reason, but I can't go into each individual case - you have to go by the majority.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads