Fun History Watch

This discussion is closed.
Blush Babe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
History Lesson
Look what happens when a President gets elected in ayear with a "0" at the end.

1840: William Henry Harrison (died in office)
1860: Abraham Lincoln (assassinated)
1880: James A. Garfield (assassinated)
1900: William McKinley (assassinated)
1920: Warren G. Harding (died in office)
1940: Franklin D. Roosevelt (died in office)
1960: John F. Kennedy (assassinated)
1980: Ronald Reagan (survived assassination attempt)
2000: George W. Bush ????????????
And to think that we had two guys fighting it out in the courts to be the one elected in 2000.

You might also be interested in this. Have a history teacher explain this if they can.
Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
Both wives lost a child while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.
Both Presidents were shot in the head.

Now it gets really weird.

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy's Secretary was named Lincoln.
Both were assassinated by Southerners.
Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Now hang on to your seat.

Lincoln was shot at the theater named "Ford."
Kennedy was shot in a car called "Lincoln" made by "Ford."
Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

And here's the "kicker":

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland.
A week before Kennedy was shot, he was with Marilyn Monroe.
and Lincoln was shot in a theater and the assassin ran to a warehouse;
Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and the assassin ran to a theater. Creepy, huh?
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
weird, very weird. might print that out....
Blush Babe
Rep:
?
(Original post by MattG)
weird, very weird. might print that out....
Blew my mind away
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Blush Babe)
Blew my mind away
I'm not going to verify the facts and the dates, so I'll just believe you. Very funny coincidences, I'd say. I won't indulge in wild conspirations theories, but I seriously doubt that Oswald was the one who killed Kennedy. Watch the movie JFK and you'll know why. The fact that both Lincoln and Kennedy were shot by Southerners is easy to explain. Also that they were shot in the head. The killers themselves were murdered either out of hatred or so that they couldn't reveal any names.

What is your explanation for all this? Btw, I don't like Bush, but I doubt anything will happen to him, he's the best protected person in the world.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Some time ago John Leavy, a computer programmer at the University of Texas, decided to have some fun with this idea of chilling parallels between Presidents. He and some friends drew up astounding lists for several pairs of Presidents. The Skeptical Inquirer picked up on this idea and held a contest. For those of you near a library, you can read about all of this in The Skeptical Inquirer Vol.16, No.3 (Spring 1992) pp. 316-320 and Vol.17, No.2 (Winter 1992) pp.212-215.

Below is Mr. Leavy's list of parallels between Willian McKinley and James Garfield, the two other (less famous) assasinated presidents, quoted verbatim:
Coincidence? You Decide...
  1. William McKinley and James Garfield were both Republicans
  2. McKinley and Garfield were both born and raised in Ohio.
  3. McKinley and Garfield were both Civil War veterans.
  4. Both served in the House of Representatives.
  5. Both supported the gold standard and tariffs for protection of American industry.
  6. "McKinley" and "Garfield" both have eight letters.
  7. McKinley and Garfield were both replaced by Vice-Presidents from New York City (Theodore Roosevelt and Chester Alan Arthur).
  8. Both of their Vice-Presidents wore mustaches.
  9. McKinley and Garfield were both shot in September, in the first year of their current terms.
  10. "Chester Alan Arthur" and "Theodore Roosevelt" have seventeen letters each.
  11. Both of their assissins, Charles Guiteau and Leon Czolgosz, had foreigh sounding names.
  12. Garfield had a cat named McKinley; McKinley had a cat named Garfield.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
all pretty cool. i've got one on a slightly more stupoid note, you may have heard it before:

you can tell how evil a man is by the size his moustache:
mussolini: tiny moustache, didnt last very long
hitler: would have grown a bigger moustache if it wasnt foir a nasty scar
stalin: F**k-off HUGE moutache, killed miliions of his ow poeple.

other include saddam hussein, tom sellick, and many more

so - is it the man oir the moustache that makes them evil, hmm?
Blush Babe
Rep:
?
(Original post by El_Borish)
all pretty cool. i've got one on a slightly more stupoid note, you may have heard it before:

I resent that cuz my dad and male relatives all have huge moustaches and they are nothing near evil!!!
By the way, Saddam was only a stupid genius who was picked up by the BIG PEOPLE who brain-washed him causing him to be satanic.
Blush Babe
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
Some time ago John Leavy, a computer programmer at the University of Texas, decided to have some fun with this idea of chilling parallels between Presidents. He and some friends drew up astounding lists for several pairs of Presidents. The Skeptical Inquirer picked up on this idea and held a contest. For those of you near a library, you can read about all of this in The Skeptical Inquirer Vol.16, No.3 (Spring 1992) pp. 316-320 and Vol.17, No.2 (Winter 1992) pp.212-215.

Below is Mr. Leavy's list of parallels between Willian McKinley and James Garfield, the two other (less famous) assasinated presidents, quoted verbatim:
Coincidence? You Decide...
  1. William McKinley and James Garfield were both Republicans
  2. McKinley and Garfield were both born and raised in Ohio.
  3. McKinley and Garfield were both Civil War veterans.
  4. Both served in the House of Representatives.
  5. Both supported the gold standard and tariffs for protection of American industry.
  6. "McKinley" and "Garfield" both have eight letters.
  7. McKinley and Garfield were both replaced by Vice-Presidents from New York City (Theodore Roosevelt and Chester Alan Arthur).
  8. Both of their Vice-Presidents wore mustaches.
  9. McKinley and Garfield were both shot in September, in the first year of their current terms.
  10. "Chester Alan Arthur" and "Theodore Roosevelt" have seventeen letters each.
  11. Both of their assissins, Charles Guiteau and Leon Czolgosz, had foreigh sounding names.
  12. Garfield had a cat named McKinley; McKinley had a cat named Garfield.
SEE I AM NOT BABBLING!!!!
Blush Babe
Rep:
?
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
I'm not going to verify the facts and the dates, so I'll just believe you. Very funny coincidences, I'd say. I won't indulge in wild conspirations theories, but I seriously doubt that Oswald was the one who killed Kennedy. Watch the movie JFK and you'll know why. The fact that both Lincoln and Kennedy were shot by Southerners is easy to explain. Also that they were shot in the head. The killers themselves were murdered either out of hatred or so that they couldn't reveal any names.

What is your explanation for all this? Btw, I don't like Bush, but I doubt anything will happen to him, he's the best protected person in the world.
I know nothing....just picked this up from my friend who is a genius....
Bush is a stupid sheep who listens and obeys the people who sponsored him, THE BIG PEOPLE. Also I reckon he went to Iraq (which I think it was good to take saddam off) not for nuclear weapons (since it is a known fact that nearly ALL countries who can afford it have nuclear weapons - including USA) but to get the oil....something like that...
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)

u been listenin to mr lind?
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)

JFK is an incredibly inaccurate film, apparently.

I saw a beeb documentary a few weeks back, and before that I was sure that there was some sort of coverup. But, the documentary really conclusively disproved it.

BUT, I've heard another theory in which LHO was brainwashed by the gov't to kill Kennedy. Not as daft as it sounds - the US have admitted to trying to plant thoughts into people's heads.
I heard that the book The Catcher in the Rye was the trigger for him to do the deed. Apparently it has been linked to a number of other assassinations too.
Linda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
JFK is an incredibly inaccurate film, apparently.

I saw a beeb documentary a few weeks back, and before that I was sure that there was some sort of coverup. But, the documentary really conclusively disproved it.

BUT, I've heard another theory in which LHO was brainwashed by the gov't to kill Kennedy. Not as daft as it sounds - the US have admitted to trying to plant thoughts into people's heads.
I heard that the book The Catcher in the Rye was the trigger for him to do the deed. Apparently it has been linked to a number of other assassinations too.
like the assassination of John Lennon. My God! Both names start with "John".
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
like the assassination of John Lennon. My God! Both names start with "John".
hmm.. john is a popular name tho.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (139)
46.33%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.67%

Watched Threads