Really want to self teach Japanese GCSE! Watch

conzag123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
My school offered Chinese GCSE and I will hopefully get an A* when I get my results in August. I, rather surprisingly, found it far easier than I was expecting and my teacher said I was a natural linguist and because of this, I would really like to teach myself Japanese GCSE. It seems that I already know a fair amount opf the kanji required as I've looked at the specification on the Edexcel website but I have one major problem in thatIi don't know how to say any of them, and from research I have done, I know that Japanese Kanji often have many different readings, unlike chinese characters.

Does anyone know of a site I can use to learn the Kanji readings and vocab required for GCSE as the Edexcel specification has a vocabulary list but no way of representing the pronounciation of the Kanji in the vocabulary, which I find rather frustrating.

Here is a link to the specification:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...20-%20Spec.pdf

There is a grammar list from pages 43 -37, a vocab list from pages 48 - 89 and a kanji list on page 90.

And does anyone have any tips on how to best go about learning Japanese as I am really eager to learn it - I have already started learning the Katakana and Hiragana alphabets.

I understand that, by knowing many Kanji, I have already encountered and somewhat overcome one of the more difficult aspects of the Japanese GCSE

Many thanks in advance, Connor (:
Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Japanese is relatively easy.

start with basic phrases and the hiragana, to get comfortable. Then learn the katakana.

you should look at how particles and scentences work and make a list of useful kanji. watch anime, read manga and japanese childrens books etc. GCSE kanji isn't bad at all.

IB japanese however........ -_-
JRaphael
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was looking into the GCSE Japanese, largely because I already know the required 200 Kanji myself as I'm studying for the JLPT N4 exam (hopefully to take this December) which requires just over 300.

I would say the biggest obstacles are definitely the vocabulary and grammar - the vocabulary is slightly easier as the majority of the words are either English ("orenji juusu", guess what that is) or combinations of the kanji you will need for the exam, which are pictographic and I find these help you remember them. The grammar can be a bit of a pain but it's fairly straightforward once you have the basics.

A couple of good books you might consider include:
"Japanese For Busy People" (series, I-III)
"Genki" (two books, I-II)

I also suggest that you try and import one or two of the JLPT practice books, which allow you to test yourself on grammar, and teach you a little once you can read the hiragana/katakana and understand the very basics.

Finally, it's very important when self-studying (I've been doing it for years) that you get as much listening practice as possible, and make sure you try to speak the words and create sentences for speech as well as writing.

Good luck with it! (がんばって!)
ninjacarlotta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
www.kantango.com
However, you'll only be able to learn the pronunciations of the kanji once you have learnt hiragana/katakana
JapanNet
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
how did the learning go? It's been 6 years...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.09%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
9.98%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.98%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.71%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.66%

Watched Threads