The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Rose_Greenthumb
Sorry, momentary stress induced hissy fit! I seem to be having a lot of those recently. My college is just riduculously unhelpful at the moment so it wouldn't surprise me to suddenly find out that I'm doing subjects universities won't accept. Thanks for your advice!

Apply, with those subjects you have as good a chance as someone with uniformly 'traditional' A2 and AS levels such as English lit, French, Spanish and History, despite what the purists might shriek. They accept that even the most talented people interested in English will very frequently take the complementary subject of theatre studies. (It even says so on their site).
Reply 61
jennmar
So what if I do Theology and Philosohy (just 1 subject), English lit, Business Studies and Sociology?

You should probably be OK, except at LSE
Reply 62
Niccolo
Listen, you are not, repeat NOT screwed AT ALL. Please, please do not listen to the potentially harmful advice of some of the morons on here, ESPECIALLY those that are not at oxbridge and have a very, very slim chance of ever getting in. Those subjects are totally fine. Remember, if they've not gotten into oxbridge themselves, then how can they possibly comment? The monkeys. English language is perfectly respected. If it isn't, then why do ALL good unis demand a decent grade in it (B or above) at GCSE? That is only one example of the multitude of reasons i could give you about why it is not a mickey mouse subject. And the joint english A level is accepted on a par with English lit by oxford and cambridge english courses. I know someone doing english and spanish at Oxford who did it. And the guy i mentioned at Emmanuel college (one of the best in cam) did english lit and lang, business and psycholohy for A2 and french AS. Remember, the golden rule is, if theyre not in oxbridge, their advice is worth about as much as your average dog-sausage.

Most universities ask for grades B in english language and B in Maths for GCSE as its important to demonstrate that you have basic knowledge in these 'core' areas for a lot of subjects. English lit is not a required subject at GCSE so they ask for Language.

Also Oxford state that English Lit or English LitLang is essential but has no mention of English Language
http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/enreq.shtml
Reply 63
notyourpunk
Most universities ask for grades B in english language and B in Maths for GCSE as its important to demonstrate that you have basic knowledge in these 'core' areas for a lot of subjects. English lit is not a required subject at GCSE so they ask for Language.

Also Oxford state that English Lit or English LitLang is essential but has no mention of English Language
http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/enreq.shtml

Obviously you're right, but the fact that they demand a good grade in it at GCSE and value the skills and knowledge it entails should surely demonstrate that it is not a mickey mouse subject. For example, nobody asks you to show an understanding of ideas in media studies gcse for their course.
Niccolo
Where on earth did you get the ridiculous notion that english language and literature is less respected? Are you completely brain-dead?! :mad:

I do feel fairly brain dead atm, but that's a separate issue... Well what I meant was that many universities make it fairly clear that LangLit is less respected than Literature if you're applying for English (although that doesn't mean you wouldn't get in just because you'd done it instead), and is generally seen as a bit easier in that you don't necessarily have to study as complex texts (at my college they study Harry Potter). One of my English teachers did tell me that he considers it to be easier and that each year the majority of people at college taking LangLit get As whereas those taking Literature rarely do. To be fair though, I do think it depends more on the particular course and texts chosen than on the subject itself, though I don't think the combined gives you as good a basis for a Literature degree as it's less in depth - if you read a lot though as most enthusiastic English applicants would, it'd probably be less of a problem.

These "less respected" comments have started slipping out from me as more and more people have been going on about it; I really do think that it makes far more sense to take what you enjoy the most, but it's probably useful to be aware that universities such as LSE can be a bit strict about subject requirements. Oxbridge seem more flexible though, and in the end they seem to just want to see potential in your subject (they made this quite clear at the Newnham open day). I just posted the misleading and fairly inane post earlier because I'm totally knackered and my friend had asked me about whether her subjects were ok.
Rose_Greenthumb
So I'm screwed because I'm doing English Language, English Literature, French and Theatre Studies?! Drama and Theatre Studies are totally different things - Theatre is so much harder since it's so much more theory based. Grr that's just stupid!

Modern languages are widely regarded as some of the most challenging subjects out there, plus they're extremely useful for an English degree as many of the universities such as Cambridge and York like you to do a module on foreign literature if possible. Theatre is very related to English and should be useful, and though Language isn't accepted as an *equivalent* to English Literature by most places, as a subject complementing Literature I would imagine it's very useful too. :smile:
Niccolo
Listen, you are not, repeat NOT screwed AT ALL. Please, please do not listen to the potentially harmful advice of some of the morons on here, ESPECIALLY those that are not at oxbridge and have a very, very slim chance of ever getting in. Those subjects are totally fine. Remember, if they've not gotten into oxbridge themselves, then how can they possibly comment? The monkeys. English language is perfectly respected. If it isn't, then why do ALL good unis demand a decent grade in it (B or above) at GCSE? That is only one example of the multitude of reasons i could give you about why it is not a mickey mouse subject. And the joint english A level is accepted on a par with English lit by oxford and cambridge english courses. I know someone doing english and spanish at Oxford who did it. And the guy i mentioned at Emmanuel college (one of the best in cam) did english lit and lang, business and psycholohy for A2 and french AS. Remember, the golden rule is, if theyre not in oxbridge, their advice is worth about as much as your average dog-sausage.

English Language is a common GCSE, not everywhere offers English Literature GCSE. However, at A Level, English Lit is more widely entered for, and is more respected, generally.
xx_ambellina_xx
English Language is a common GCSE, not everywhere offers English Literature GCSE. However, at A Level, English Lit is more widely entered for, and is more respected, generally.

From Niccolo's post, it seems like you are one of those morons giving out potentially harmful advice! :p: :p: :p: :p:
darkenergy
From Niccolo's post, it seems like you are one of those morons giving out potentially harmful advice! :p: :p: :p: :p:

Well, those morons aren't at Cambridge. I'm not, but neither is he. All I was saying is that Geography is likely to be a far better choice.
Reply 69
xx_ambellina_xx
Well, those morons aren't at Cambridge. I'm not, but neither is he. All I was saying is that Geography is likely to be a far better choice.

Yeah but at least I got in, so I think that I am able to state with some confidence that my advice is worth more than 'Bethany's' and any other opinionated year 12 student.
Niccolo
Yeah but at least I got in, so I think that I am able to state with some confidence that my advice is worth more than 'Bethany's' and any other opinionated year 12 student.

I don't see how simply getting through the admissions process entitles you to talk down in such a disdainful way to people who are merely stating what they believe to be the truth. You are not yet a student. I do not see how you could have come to acquire any in-depth knowledge of the admissions process - who are you to judge the minutae of what is and what is not acceptable to admissions tutors, let alone who should and should not get in?
Reply 71
magicalsausage
I don't see how simply getting through the admissions process entitles you to talk down in such a disdainful way to people who are merely stating what they believe to be the truth. You are not yet a student. I do not see how you could have come to acquire any in-depth knowledge of the admissions process - who are you to judge the minutae of what is and what is not acceptable to admissions tutors, let alone who should and should not get in?

I could not personally give a frig what these people who have not gotten in think or say in private, but when they dish out advice that could deter people who are potentially good enough and would benefit from going to a top uni, then I take issue. If i had listened to some of the B*llocks on these boards when I was applying, I would have never, *ever* received an offer or even gone for cambridge. In case you hadn't noticed, my advice is all in the positive vein-'have a go, you might as well as you stand a decent chance, its only one out of 6 choices'-what do you think is worse, this, or people saying 'aha, your A levels arent even respected (but you still should apply, honey-bun)'' thus destroying their confidence before theyve even got within 50 feet of the interview room???? I admit I dont fully know the process, but i do know people who have gotten in when people on here would have dismissed their chances out of hand.

That is why i consider losers in year 12 giving out their harmful and ignorant 'advice,' deterring decent applicants, as fair game for whatever verbal blast I feel necessary. And who the hell are you? Did you even read my posts apart from the bit you felt necessary to highlight?

Latest

Trending

Trending