i can't be bothered to do any exercise

Watch
metallica nutter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
what is the reason for my lack of motivation?
BabyGirl92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nor me
I want to but I just can't be bothered to go to the gym, kind of because I'm embarrassed about sweating and stuff in front of guys and them thinking I can't do it!
I'm embarrassed because I'm probably really unfit and would look like an idiot.
I Love Dog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exercise, if you're doing it right, is hard work. Most people don't enjoy hard work... but you can learn to
Jordan-Kirby
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can try and set a realistic goal to meet to make you more determined.

It's also important to know why you want to do exercise: to get healthy generally; to get more toned and so on.

Also ask a friend if they will exercise with you as that'll make it more likely you'll stick to a routine
I Love Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BabyGirl92)
Nor me
I want to but I just can't be bothered to go to the gym, kind of because I'm embarrassed about sweating and stuff in front of guys and them thinking I can't do it!
I hate it when people say this kind off stuff. If you go to the gym, nobody is watching you. They don't care. Even if you're very overweight, people will offer you help or congratulate you more than anything else.

Most gyms have a very positive, friendly atmosphere. Everyone started somewhere.
scriggy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its a self perpetuating cycle. The hardest part is starting, but once you start thats it. Exercise makes you feel better and have more energy, so the motivation to do more will be there.

I finally started to get fit about 6 months ago, and its just getting easier and easier!
metallica nutter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jordan-Kirby)
to get more toned and so on
that's what girls do it for :ahee:
BabyGirl92
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I want to do it to get healthy. I eat healthily and I'm slim but if I try and walk up a mountain or something I'm nearly dying! I would ask my friends but.. my closest friend lives like 25 miles away from me I only ever see her in school. I'll try and find a jog buddy haha :P
BabyGirl92
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I Love Dog)
I hate it when people say this kind off stuff. If you go to the gym, nobody is watching you. They don't care. Even if you're very overweight, people will offer you help or congratulate you more than anything else.

Most gyms have a very positive, friendly atmosphere. Everyone started somewhere.
Really? I went to the gym with my sister once (she was in junior gym lol so I just went with her) and I felt as though people were thinking 'omg she can't do more than 5 minutes on that' and when I went for my induction with my mates there was guys we knew there from school, and she wouldn't stay in the same room as them so we went to another room. I would go to the uni gym because I have membership but it seems like all the kids go there lol, and I'm not paying £30 a month for DW sports :O
NaturalDisaster
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because exercise hurts. I hate it, but my parents go on at me about it every freaking day. I know it's because they want me to be healthy, but I hate it so much! Exercise doesn't make me feel happier, it makes me feel miserable because I've been bored for an hour by the monotony of swimming/running. Cycling's not so bad, but why would I bother doing that either? Team sports are ok, but then you have coaches going on and you, which makes me really angry. And I'm not the physical lashing out type, I just start verbally insulting them, so that fails too. You're not alone OP.

EDIT: Oh, it's metallica nutter. Surprisingly not trolling for once. You amaze me.
metallica nutter
Rep:
?
im thinking about just going for long walks every day instead of hardcore training
I Love Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Really? I went to the gym with my sister once (she was in junior gym lol so I just went with her) and I felt as though people were thinking 'omg she can't do more than 5 minutes on that' and when I went for my induction with my mates there was guys we knew there from school, and she wouldn't stay in the same room as them so we went to another room. I would go to the uni gym because I have membership but it seems like all the kids go there lol, and I'm not paying £30 a month for DW sports :O
I'm not sure what your point is. You just described your sister being super paranoid and things that you "felt" (lots of people are self conscious in gyms, doesn't mean that anyone is actually thinking badly of you).

Even if people were mocking you, (they weren't) why do you care about someone stupid enough to mock someone else for wanting to improve their fitness?

So many people unhappy with their bodies and trying to shift the blame :woo:
natashasha~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I Love Dog)
I hate it when people say this kind off stuff. If you go to the gym, nobody is watching you. They don't care.
They do care! It's human nature.
iwwhty
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nor me
Then don't go to the gym. I do the majority of my training in my own home. I have a pull up bar on my door frame and I have my own weights. Most of the exercises I do anyway don't require any equipment e.g. press ups and crunches. If you read 'Solitary fitness' by Charles Bronson, that guy does all his training from a prison cell.

Why are you embarassed? everyone is unfit when they first start training. The only way to get fit is to train.
Kash:)
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
. You don't like exercise
. Your lazy
. Your depressed
. You have something medically wrong with you
. Your actually dead

Think of how lucky you are to have the opportunity to exercise. I've been injured since January and have been virtually chair bound since.

I drool at the thought of going for nice steady run or putting on my football boots again and playing in a match :sogood:
Bslforever
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Laziness?
iwwhty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by metallica nutter)
what is the reason for my lack of motivation?
Do you have any reason to exercise? if you have a strong motivation, you can overcome any obstacle. I use to train hard when I was younger and my body was in decent shape but then I let it slip over the years whilst I was a student and even had a beer belly. I felt disgusted when I realised I had gotten out of shape but still it didn't motivate me to do anything about it.

I was then physically attacked twice and I was then motivated to train as a matter of survival. I also lost my virginity and that made me very aware of how poor a shape my body was in. Once you get in to the routine of training, it just sticks. It becomes a part of your life, as eating and sleeping does. You just have to get over that initial hurdle of starting. If I have days now where I don't train, I feel really bad and get withdrawal symptoms.

I signed up for a marathon in January of this year. I had never ran a race previously and I only started my training in January. Having a big goal provided me with big motivation. I wasn't 100% sure that I could do it but I had the incentive to train because I had a goal to aim for, a date I had to get fit by. I successfully completed my first marathon in April, doing my second in August.

Maybe sign up for a race for charity, it doesn't have to be as big as a marathon, it could be a 5k or 10k race. Another thing which I find helps is reading sporting biographies. 'Ultramarathon man' by Dean Karnazes is the book that inspired me and my mate to sign up for our first marathon. That guy does 100 mile races! how can you fail to be inspired by that? I didn't even know it was possible for a human to do that before reading that book.
Muffin.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wii fit
iwwhty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I want to do it to get healthy. I eat healthily and I'm slim but if I try and walk up a mountain or something I'm nearly dying! I would ask my friends but.. my closest friend lives like 25 miles away from me I only ever see her in school. I'll try and find a jog buddy haha :P
I train regularly and I was knackered when I climbed Mount Snowdon last year. Climbing mountains isn't an every day thing for most people so it's only natural that you will feel like death warmed up. If you climbed mountains every single day of your life or even just once a month, your body would soon adapt. Incidentally, I'm attempting the 3 peaks challenge this weekend, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon in a 24 hour period. The only limitations we have are the one's we put on ourselves.
iwwhty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NaturalDisaster)
Because exercise hurts. I hate it, but my parents go on at me about it every freaking day. I know it's because they want me to be healthy, but I hate it so much! Exercise doesn't make me feel happier, it makes me feel miserable because I've been bored for an hour by the monotony of swimming/running. Cycling's not so bad, but why would I bother doing that either? Team sports are ok, but then you have coaches going on and you, which makes me really angry. And I'm not the physical lashing out type, I just start verbally insulting them, so that fails too. You're not alone OP.

EDIT: Oh, it's metallica nutter. Surprisingly not trolling for once. You amaze me.
I hate it and I do it all the time. You just have to learn to love it. It doesn't matter how bad I feel before or during, I always feel great after. It gives you a nautral high that's better than any drug or night out on the beer in my opinion. It builds mental strength. If you can keep training and working out when you're tired and want to give up, it builds character. As your body and fitness improves, it builds confidence and self-esteem and if you do any events like a marathon or triathlon, the sense of achievement that you get finishing, and getting a medal, is unreal.

Life is always going to be difficult, that can't be avoided. If you learn to cope with the discomfort and pain on your own terms, then you can handle the challenges that life throws at you much better. Alot of people when they think of exercise, immediately just focus on the pain and the sweat and the grind. Motivate yourself by the pleasure instead. The pleasure of the endorphins being released in to your body, the pleasure of losing weight, the pleasure of developing mental strength.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (206)
43.19%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (71)
14.88%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (192)
40.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.68%

Watched Threads