i can't be bothered to do any exercise

Watch
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why do girls who want to get fit, think that the gym is there only option? Jesus Christ, how did we have great bodies back in the past is just beyond me :rolleyes:
vickie89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my problem is i want to try and do exercise but i have problems with my back and joints so it really messes me up a lot of the time. iv had 2 different physiotherapists who have told me not to go to the gym and one told me very forcefully not to do yoga (as i thought slightly more gentle,stretching exercise might be ok but apparently im too flexible to do it). it wasnt too bad when i had a job as i was working with young toddlers and pre-school kids so was getting exercise continuously from running around with them, picking them up constantly for nappies or when they wanted attention, etc but now i dont have a job i dont have that anymore.

i have found wii fit quite good tho.
metallica nutter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by iwwhty)
I hate it and I do it all the time. You just have to learn to love it. It doesn't matter how bad I feel before or during, I always feel great after. It gives you a nautral high that's better than any drug or night out on the beer in my opinion. It builds mental strength. If you can keep training and working out when you're tired and want to give up, it builds character. As your body and fitness improves, it builds confidence and self-esteem and if you do any events like a marathon or triathlon, the sense of achievement that you get finishing, and getting a medal, is unreal.

Life is always going to be difficult, that can't be avoided. If you learn to cope with the discomfort and pain on your own terms, then you can handle the challenges that life throws at you much better. Alot of people when they think of exercise, immediately just focus on the pain and the sweat and the grind. Motivate yourself by the pleasure instead. The pleasure of the endorphins being released in to your body, the pleasure of losing weight, the pleasure of developing mental strength.
learn to love hating doing exercise :confused:
joey!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I Love Dog)
I hate it when people say this kind off stuff. If you go to the gym, nobody is watching you. They don't care. Even if you're very overweight, people will offer you help or congratulate you more than anything else.

Most gyms have a very positive, friendly atmosphere. Everyone started somewhere.
I was in my gym and there was a properly obese guy and some random person just came up to him, slapped him on the back and went "good for you"

Fat guy was happy
MeanMachine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exercise releases endorphines, endorphines make you happy, happy people don't kill people.
iwwhty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by metallica nutter)
learn to love hating doing exercise :confused:
It's not that you learn to love hate doing it, you learn to love the exercise, the pain, the discomfort. I was reading a book and there was an example in it of this guy who was in the French Foreign Legion. They had to run up these huge hills in training and every guy in the regiment hated them but this one guy learnt to love them. He kept telling himself that he loved doing them, he was lieing to himself initially but eventually he believed it and became the best in the regiment at doing them.

Humans are generally motivated by the desire to seek pleasure or the desire to avoid pain. Most people in the exercise context want to avoid pain. Concentrate on the pleasure aspect instead. Or alternatively, rather than think of the pain of exercising, think of the pain of not exercising. Think of how unfit you will feel, think of potential weight gain, think of being unattractive to the opposite sex, think of dieing of a heart attack at 40, think of not being fit enough to be able to handle yourself in a potential emergency. It doesn't matter what method you use as long as you motivate yourself.
BabyGirl92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I train regularly and I was knackered when I climbed Mount Snowdon last year. Climbing mountains isn't an every day thing for most people so it's only natural that you will feel like death warmed up. If you climbed mountains every single day of your life or even just once a month, your body would soon adapt. Incidentally, I'm attempting the 3 peaks challenge this weekend, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon in a 24 hour period. The only limitations we have are the one's we put on ourselves.
I live right next to Snowdon and I've never walked all the way up lol. I suppose I should one day

I went on a walking holiday, well for 3 days, and did 3 mountains in Shropshire with my auntie who walks all the time. It wasn't that bad but on the really steep bits it was hard.

Good luck with your challenge!
iwwhty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BabyGirl92)
I live right next to Snowdon and I've never walked all the way up lol. I suppose I should one day

I went on a walking holiday, well for 3 days, and did 3 mountains in Shropshire with my auntie who walks all the time. It wasn't that bad but on the really steep bits it was hard.

Good luck with your challenge!
It's good training for you because life is hard. I use to avoid hard things in the past and then I learnt that running away doesn't solve anything so I confront things as much as possible now. I've climbed mountains, jumped out of a plane, sailed at sea and ran a marathon. On a more basic level, I've developed my social skills and took myself out of my comfort zone that way. It's hard but it's life-changing stuff.
spammoclocks
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you and me the same. but i will manage to find some energy. and so should you.
BabyGirl92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's good training for you because life is hard. I use to avoid hard things in the past and then I learnt that running away doesn't solve anything so I confront things as much as possible now. I've climbed mountains, jumped out of a plane, sailed at sea and ran a marathon. On a more basic level, I've developed my social skills and took myself out of my comfort zone that way. It's hard but it's life-changing stuff.
Wow you've done loads :O Good for you though. I'd never have the guts to do the plane thing. I think I need to do more lol.
iwwhty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BabyGirl92)
Wow you've done loads :O Good for you though. I'd never have the guts to do the plane thing. I think I need to do more lol.
You have the guts. I know you have the guts because I use to be scared of fairground rides. I use to be terrified of heights. I froze when abseiling down what was a relatively small stand on an adventure holiday when I was 10 years old. I've since done a 150ft abseil. I read a book on overcoming fear and it changed my life. We all have the potential to overcome our fears and achieve great things. The only person who will ever hold you back in life is yourself, god knows I've done it enough. Always dream big and never give up on your dreams. This is your life, you've got one chance to do something great with it, don't let it slip.
AshleighH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bslforever)
Laziness?
This is my reason :teehee:
I Love Dog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by natashasha~)
They do care! It's human nature.
People in gyms are there to better themselves. They are happy when other people are there to better themselves, and will offer help.

(Original post by joey!)
I was in my gym and there was a properly obese guy and some random person just came up to him, slapped him on the back and went "good for you"

Fat guy was happy
Exactly.
metallica nutter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
dunno if im gonna join a gym...its a waste of money if you ask me...gonna start jogging/walking in local fields
Oh_Mighty_One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is no excuse whatsoever not to do exercise, apart from being disabled or injured, but OP is neither. OP is a lazy **** who needs to get off his arse and go for a run. Some people complain about not being able to go to the gym, fair enough, however, running in the countryside is free. People should feel privilidged to exercise.
dymphna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I Love Dog)
I'm not sure what your point is. You just described your sister being super paranoid and things that you "felt" (lots of people are self conscious in gyms, doesn't mean that anyone is actually thinking badly of you).

Even if people were mocking you, (they weren't) why do you care about someone stupid enough to mock someone else for wanting to improve their fitness?

So many people unhappy with their bodies and trying to shift the blame :woo:
I think the problem isn't actually other people judging, but the fact that it feels like they are. Just because if you're dissatisfied with how you're doing, its logical to think that other people are thinking how bad you're doing as well.

I feel like it too - I always feel self-concious because I'm frustrated with how unfit I am. You can tell me people don't judge me as much as you want, but its not going to help. At the end of the day, as long as there are other people there to see how unfit I am, I'm going to feel like they are mocking me.
So I'm kind of agreeing with you, but kind of not.

Also, if there are people there that I know, it would be ten times worse. I know there is a group of guys who go on a Wednesday, so I would never go then. Strangers can judge me, and I'll get over it, but I wouldn't want my friends to see me. I know they'll be the most supportive, but even so.
NaturalDisaster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate it and I do it all the time. You just have to learn to love it. It doesn't matter how bad I feel before or during, I always feel great after. It gives you a nautral high that's better than any drug or night out on the beer in my opinion. It builds mental strength. If you can keep training and working out when you're tired and want to give up, it builds character. As your body and fitness improves, it builds confidence and self-esteem and if you do any events like a marathon or triathlon, the sense of achievement that you get finishing, and getting a medal, is unreal.

Life is always going to be difficult, that can't be avoided. If you learn to cope with the discomfort and pain on your own terms, then you can handle the challenges that life throws at you much better. Alot of people when they think of exercise, immediately just focus on the pain and the sweat and the grind. Motivate yourself by the pleasure instead. The pleasure of the endorphins being released in to your body, the pleasure of losing weight, the pleasure of developing mental strength.
The pain ruins my daydreams...that's why I hate it. I go crazy if I'm stuck by myself for an hour with only my iPod for company, as much as I love music. If I could read and exercise that might be more fun...but I can't. :mad: And chocolate makes me happier than exercise. But one day I'll have to stop making excuses and actually exercise. Need to find a sport I don't hate passionately first. Might take up rock-climbing...or horse riding. Just running or swimming will kill me.
forsaken_earth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
that's what girls do it for :ahee:
stress release, personally
Great Lord Xenu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what is the reason for my lack of motivation?
The reason is: You're lazy.

But don't worry, you can always force yourself!
I'm walking the pennine way this summer.
ily_em
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do it because you have to. I wouldn't exercise if I didn't have to but cycling to college made me do it. There's no way I could just cycle round for the hell of it; would give up pretty quickly. But I can't really give up halfway to college :p:

So, find a reason.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (546)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (418)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (514)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (185)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.39%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.5%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.41%

Watched Threads