The Student Room Group

Post study work Visa

Has anyone applied for this visa, especially after a Masters degree? How difficult is it to obtain one?

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I applied and received one after graduating from an MSc in 2009. The process itself is not quite difficult though the timing and supporting document coordination was very bothersome. Don't be surprised if you would have to stay waiting for it in the UK (if you are applying directly after the MSc) past your Tier 4 visa expiration date. As a word of comfort you wouldn't be considered as "illegally overstaying" since they are still processing the decision on the PSW. I got mine fairly easily with no complaint except for an odd looking bank statement which I had to rectify by posting it later after my app was already submitted. The Home Office called my mobile anyway about that after seeing my cover letter explaining I was going to send it off later. The finer points have been mentioned, albeit off-topically in the TSR post on Tier 4 Student Visas.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=939627&page=158
^ See post #3148 where I'm quoted and other relevant subsequent posts on the thread

Having said that, you should be aware that the UK Home Office has placed a temporary cap on immigration until April 2011. From then on, migration will be capped indefinitely. The Tier 1 (all sub-sections) will be effected. It will be capped at what is currently known to 5,400 applications AND the points under the points-based system will also be raised. More information in the article below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10436228.stm
Reply 2
WaltzvWendt
Hello, I applied and received one after graduating from an MSc in 2009. The process itself is not quite difficult though the timing and supporting document coordination was very bothersome. Don't be surprised if you would have to stay waiting for it in the UK (if you are applying directly after the MSc) past your Tier 4 visa expiration date. As a word of comfort you wouldn't be considered as "illegally overstaying" since they are still processing the decision on the PSW. I got mine fairly easily with no complaint except for an odd looking bank statement which I had to rectify by posting it later after my app was already submitted. The Home Office called my mobile anyway about that after seeing my cover letter explaining I was going to send it off later. The finer points have been mentioned, albeit off-topically in the TSR post on Tier 4 Student Visas.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=939627&page=158
^ See post #3148 where I'm quoted and other relevant subsequent posts on the thread

Having said that, you should be aware that the UK Home Office has placed a temporary cap on immigration until April 2011. From then on, migration will be capped indefinitely. The Tier 1 (all sub-sections) will be effected. It will be capped at what is currently known to 5,400 applications AND the points under the points-based system will also be raised. More information in the article below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10436228.stm

Thanks a lot. :smile:

Is it going to be significantly more difficult to get one now? As in, is the number of 5,400 applications much lower than before?
Ah fair enough. Hopefully it doesn't change even further into the future. Just keep checking once in a while in case the government changes and different laws are put into place. good luck!
It's about 1,000 odd places lower. This is all relative if there is a sudden boom in PSW applications by the time you apply. It has become more attractive option as the past permits after Uni only included 1 year of job search while the PSW is now 2 years.
Reply 5
WaltzvWendt
Ah fair enough. Hopefully it doesn't change even further into the future. Just keep checking once in a while in case the government changes and different laws are put into place. good luck!

All these news articles seem to be contradicting each other. :s-smilie:
Will the permanent cap be different to what it is now?
The contradictions may be due to confusion on the temporary caps prior to April 2011 and what will come afterwards. The permanent cap may very well be different....but I'd assume not for the better :frown:. UK immigration has a habit of changing every 1-3 years with new schemes and stricter points. You'll get a better feel of the atmosphere towards immigration once you're studying for your MSc. In short though, prognosis is not great!
The contradictions may be due to confusion on the temporary caps prior to April 2011 and what will come afterwards. The permanent cap may very well be different....but I'd assume not for the better :frown:. UK immigration has a habit of changing every 1-3 years with new schemes and stricter points. You'll get a better feel of the atmosphere towards immigration once you're studying for your MSc. In short though, prognosis is not great!
Reply 8
WaltzvWendt

Yes, unfortunately.
I wonder what increases your chances of getting one.
Reply 9
I start my MSc this year, so I am more concerned about the permanent cap.
Anyone else reading the board and has an idea of doing a UK PhD after PSW.....don't do it! Apply STRAIGHT during your MSc. I did the former (didn't feel I could make a decent app with all the MSc stress), and a year ago they placed an addendum that the PSW can only be granted ONCE. You can't do MSc-->PSW-->PhD-->PSW. You would have to do a Tier 1 General ,unless you are very lucky and you get a job that will fight for a non-EU worker to sponsor for Tier 2 (which they would have to prove no EU worker fits the bill). Problem is, mathematically you will be unable to earn the points. Because it will be decided upon based on previous earnings i.e. the immediate >2 years prior. And Catch-22, the Tier 4 places hourly working restrictions....somehow the Home Office always finds out if you "over-worked".
Reply 11
WaltzvWendt
Anyone else reading the board and has an idea of doing a UK PhD after PSW.....don't do it! Apply STRAIGHT during your MSc. I did the former (didn't feel I could make a decent app with all the MSc stress), and a year ago they placed an addendum that the PSW can only be granted ONCE. You can't do MSc-->PSW-->PhD-->PSW. You would have to do a Tier 1 General ,unless you are very lucky and you get a job that will fight for a non-EU worker to sponsor for Tier 2 (which they would have to prove no EU worker fits the bill). Problem is, mathematically you will be unable to earn the points. Because it will be decided upon based on previous earnings i.e. the immediate >2 years prior. And Catch-22, the Tier 4 places hourly working restrictions....somehow the Home Office always finds out if you "over-worked".

Oh. :frown:
I didn't know that the PSW could be granted only once. What do you plan to do then?
I plan to do an MBA in the future, too. Wonder what I'll do about that.
Reply 12
Ceres
I start my MSc this year, so I am more concerned about the permanent cap.

same here. my masters program ends in september 2011 anyway so this interim cap has no effect on me, just the permanent one starting april 2011.

... but i can't help but comment anyway, haha.

from http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/27-intro-limit-for-t1-pbs regarding the interim cap:

The Investor, Entrepreneur and Post-study work categories of Tier 1 will not be included in the interim limit.

let's hope that stays the same under the permanent cap...

You will be excluded from the limit if... you are already in the UK under another immigration category and you switch into Tier 1 (General). If you are in the UK in any other category, for example Tier 1 (Post-study work), then you will need to score 100 points when you apply to switch into Tier 1 (General).

honestly the increase to 100 points doesn't bother me, because it just means you have to earn a bit more. i just don't want to have to deal with several months of waiting because of a monthly limit on applications.
Ceres
All these news articles seem to be contradicting each other. :s-smilie:
Will the permanent cap be different to what it is now?

Well I've got a few options. I'd prefer that I do well enough in my PhD that if I were to apply for lecturing positions in the UK I'd be so competitive to weed out EU applicants :biggrin: to secure a Tier 2. I'm going under the "happy" assumption that UK academia wants the best minds no matter where they are from and would find immigration-mishaps as irritating as I do and so fight against it. I can attempt to extend my student visa an extra year through a paid post-doc or however which would then make my time in the UK 10 years (I did a 4-year BA in England as well, scholarship) where I would then be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain under the Long Residence clause which includes "for study purposes". Unless they change that clause too :rolleyes:.

I adore the UK so much, and have been nurtured under its higher education which has been nothing but good to me and wish to pay it all back. But if the Home Office decides to no longer have me.....there is always the continent :p: or back to the US.
Reply 14
calvin.
same here. my masters program ends in september 2011 anyway so this interim cap has no effect on me, just the permanent one starting april 2011.

... but i can't help but comment anyway, haha.

from http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/27-intro-limit-for-t1-pbs regarding the interim cap:

The Investor, Entrepreneur and Post-study work categories of Tier 1 will not be included in the interim limit.

let's hope that stays the same under the permanent cap...

You will be excluded from the limit if... you are already in the UK under another immigration category and you switch into Tier 1 (General). If you are in the UK in any other category, for example Tier 1 (Post-study work), then you will need to score 100 points when you apply to switch into Tier 1 (General).

honestly the increase to 100 points doesn't bother me, because it just means you have to earn a bit more. i just don't want to have to deal with several months of waiting because of a monthly limit on applications.

I, too, hope that the situation does not change when the permanent cap is introduced next year, or at least not significantly.
So, well, best of luck to you (and me). :biggrin:
Reply 15
WaltzvWendt
Well I've got a few options. I'd prefer that I do well enough in my PhD that if I were to apply for lecturing positions in the UK I'd be so competitive to weed out EU applicants :biggrin: to secure a Tier 2. I'm going under the "happy" assumption that UK academia wants the best minds no matter where they are from and would find immigration-mishaps as irritating as I do and so fight against it. I can attempt to extend my student visa an extra year through a paid post-doc or however which would then make my time in the UK 10 years (I did a 4-year BA in England as well, scholarship) where I would then be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain under the Long Residence clause which includes "for study purposes". Unless they change that clause too :rolleyes:.

I adore the UK so much, and have been nurtured under its higher education which has been nothing but good to me and wish to pay it all back. But if the Home Office decides to no longer have me.....there is always the continent :p: or back to the US.

Lol.
I was planning to do a bachelors degree in the UK at one time, and the rules were different then. Like you said, they keep changing so frequently.

Hopefully, you'll get a sponsor for a Tier 2 visa. :biggrin: You seem to know so much about the visa system, I had no idea about the 'indefinite leave to remain' with the study purposes clause.

When will the permanent cap be announced?
Reply 16
WaltzvWendt

BTW, when it comes to jobs, can you apply while at uni and then get the visa later? I'm wondering because not everyone can get a tier 2 visa!
Ceres
BTW, when it comes to jobs, can you apply while at uni and then get the visa later? I'm wondering because not everyone can get a tier 2 visa!

I guess so, otherwise would it not be pointless? :confused:

WaltzvWendt

=o the post study visa can only be issued once? are you sure?
I think for the Graduate Schemes this is possible, but I only say this because I haven't found anything on their website saying otherwise. I'd think once you get the contract to start after your MSc that's when they'd be asking for a PSW....but that might be risky and you'd have to make sure that they are understanding of your circumstances before signing on. Employers can be charged heavy fines if it's found out through the pay roll that they are employing visa-less staff. Though I was invited to interviews with a CV that explicitly said "permit status: Post-Study Work, intention to apply" so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
chocolat321
I guess so, otherwise would it not be pointless? :confused:

=o the post study visa can only be issued once? are you sure?

I did see it in the Home Office website. I'll try to pull a direct link, though the site is a maze! I first saw it through this link though at the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

Source: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/working_after.php
^
"I have already been in the UK on a post study work scheme but now I'm a student again. Does this mean I can't apply under Tier 1 (Post-Study Work)?

That's correct. If you have student immigration permission now and you have had immigration permission under Tier 1 (Post-Study Work), the International Graduates Scheme, the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme or the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme at any time in the past, you are not eligible to apply for Tier 1 (Post-Study Work), even if you meet all the other requirements. This change came into effect on 31 March 2009."

UPDATE: See Art. 245x section b.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part6a/

Quick Reply

Latest