The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2940
Original post by Swords N Thorns
I'm thinking of taking: English Lit, Biology, History and Maths

I'm interested in doing a Bachelor of Education in order to become a Primary School Teacher when I'm finished sixth form.

How do these options sound? :smile:

Good, all strong subjects with a mix of sciences and humanities.
Me again. Sorry to be a bother, but this should be the last combination I have to ask about.

English Lit/History/Philosophy/Film/Media (AS)

Sound all right for Russell Group unis for English/Film courses?
Reply 2942
Original post by non
Yes perfect. But choose subjects you enjoy not what you think is most suitable. Because it is most important to get high grades for ib.

Thanks, And how much do GCSE's matter because its too late for 10 A*'s for me :colondollar:
Original post by TheWrightStuff
Me again. Sorry to be a bother, but this should be the last combination I have to ask about.

English Lit/History/Philosophy/Film/Media (AS)

Sound all right for Russell Group unis for English/Film courses?

5 subjects aren't necessary, I'd get rid of film or media as they're soft and you can soon pick up the improtant stuff they teach you.
Original post by Clare~Bear
5 subjects aren't necessary, I'd get rid of film or media as they're soft and you can soon pick up the improtant stuff they teach you.

Thanks! I am considering cutting it down to four, probably getting rid of media. Decisions, decisions.
Reply 2945
Original post by JoeFo
Thanks, And how much do GCSE's matter because its too late for 10 A*'s for me :colondollar:

Some unis think they are important for example lse but most don't mind Oxbridge care more about ums in your as levels. I don't think banks look at gcses but you do need b's in Maths English and science and I think 3 a's at a level
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2946
Is it better to do a language in which I will probably get a B at A-Level with Biology, Chemistry and Maths, or better to do Economics which I hopefully will get a better grade alongside those three. I hope to get AAA in Bio, Chem and Maths, so does it matter what I get for my fourth A-Level, or should I do economics to increase my chance of getting the AAA, as I heard that Unis like langages meaning doing a language could help me get the offer itself in the first place... Not Sure :s-smilie: Help me Please!!
Reply 2947
Original post by Mohil
Is it better to do a language in which I will probably get a B at A-Level with Biology, Chemistry and Maths, or better to do Economics which I hopefully will get a better grade alongside those three. I hope to get AAA in Bio, Chem and Maths, so does it matter what I get for my fourth A-Level, or should I do economics to increase my chance of getting the AAA, as I heard that Unis like langages meaning doing a language could help me get the offer itself in the first place... Not Sure :s-smilie: Help me Please!!

I would say that its better to do the subject that you will do better in so economics rather than a language because I don't think that a language will make much difference it like doing all 4 sciences for a med school that likes sciences not humanities so not Ucl who like 1 humanity. Also medicine is very competitive so aaaa is very important
Original post by non
Good, all strong subjects with a mix of sciences and humanities.

Thank you for your advice. :biggrin:

Do you think it would make much difference if I replaced History with Chemistry? Or would I be better just sticking with history, do you think? :confused:
Reply 2949
Original post by Swords N Thorns
Thank you for your advice. :biggrin:

Do you think it would make much difference if I replaced History with Chemistry? Or would I be better just sticking with history, do you think? :confused:

I don't think it makes much difference just think about which subjects you will most likely want to teach in the future. So pick which one you prefer.
I want a career in Medicine or Pharmacology.

I am definitely taking Chemistry, Biology and Physics AS level.
However, I am stuck between Philosophy and Psychology as a fourth.
Has anyone done either of these? If so, what were the good points, bad points and how difficult did you find it?

Original post by lsaul95

Has anyone done either of these? If so, what were the good points, bad points and how difficult did you find it?

I've done most of psychology AS and it's not too bad. Theres a lot of detail to remember as you have to describe the experiments and what happened. And then because you have to evaluate them to get about 1/2 your marks, it makes the skills you use, very much like english but instead of writing about poems and stories, you write about experiments. But especially stress, it can get rather biological which doesn't seem like it will be a problem to you. To get high marks you need to put in extra detail and with stress that means using scientific words such as sympathomedullary-pathway and adrenocorticotrophic :ninja: it's either a steroid or a hormone :ninja: etc . . . and then there's a few statistics here and there, in my janaury exam we had to draw a bar chart but it won't get much worse than that at AS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Clare~Bear
I've done most of psychology AS and it's not too bad. Theres a lot of detail to remember as you have to describe the experiments and what happened. And then ebcause you have to evaluate them, it makes the skills you, very much like english but instead of writing about poems and stories, you write about experiments. But especially stress, it can get rather biological which doesn't seem like it will be a problem to you. To get high marks you need to put in extra detail and with stress that means using scientific words such as sympathomedullary-pathway and adrenocorticotrophic :ninja: it's either a steroid or a hormone :ninja: etc . . . and then there's a few statistics here and there, in my janaury exam we had to draw a bar chart but it won't get much worse than that at AS.

Sounds.... complicated. I like it :wink:
Thanks for the feedback! Long words are always a bonus. I'm sure if I put the time into it I can work on getting the high marks with more detail, etc :smile: Thanks again!
Original post by lsaul95
Sounds.... complicated. I like it :wink:
Thanks for the feedback! Long words are always a bonus. I'm sure if I put the time into it I can work on getting the high marks with more detail, etc :smile: Thanks again!

Just keep in mind that the poster you're replying to has done AS. That's not to say their advice isn't correct at all, but A2 psychology is very different to AS. Would you be planning on keeping it for the full 2 years, or just doing the AS?

I'd say psychology too. You clearly have a scientific brain, and I can imagine, therefore, a bit of a struggle with philosophy, as there's a lot of abstract stuff etc.
Original post by Daydreamer18
Just keep in mind that the poster you're replying to has done AS. That's not to say their advice isn't correct at all, but A2 psychology is very different to AS. Would you be planning on keeping it for the full 2 years, or just doing the AS?

I'd say psychology too. You clearly have a scientific brain, and I can imagine, therefore, a bit of a struggle with philosophy, as there's a lot of abstract stuff etc.

Yeah, I totally understand. And It depends how I find Physics, I find Physics interesting and I did really well at GCSE but the mathematics side could put me off. Not capability issues or anything, I just don't enjoy that part of it. So it could very well be taken onto A2.
I like the idea of philosophy studies, etc, since it's diverse to what I'm doing, but you're right, I have a scientific brain and I probably would struggle with it. Best to go with something I'll do well in!
Thanks for the insight! 10 house points.
Reply 2955
Original post by lsaul95

Philophosy is more respected and as its an essay subject shows you are more diverse. So philophosy is better to take for getting into uni if you are good at both philophosy and psychology.
for hopefully medicine (or chemical engineering as a back up) for AS -

biology
chemistry
economics
maths

what are these like - its mainly economics i'm wondering about :smile:
Reply 2957
Original post by g.k.galloway
for hopefully medicine (or chemical engineering as a back up) for AS -

biology
chemistry
economics
maths

what are these like - its mainly economics i'm wondering about :smile:

Good subjects what else do you want to know.
Original post by lsaul95
Yeah, I totally understand. And It depends how I find Physics, I find Physics interesting and I did really well at GCSE but the mathematics side could put me off. Not capability issues or anything, I just don't enjoy that part of it. So it could very well be taken onto A2.
I like the idea of philosophy studies, etc, since it's diverse to what I'm doing, but you're right, I have a scientific brain and I probably would struggle with it. Best to go with something I'll do well in!
Thanks for the insight! 10 house points.

I get what you're saying about stepping away from the science a bit, for pleasure and for giving yourself a more well rounded appearence. That said, I think philosophy is the complete other end of the spectrum. Maybe if you were talking English or History my answer would be different, but I somehow can't imagine someone with the desire to study bio, chem and physics getting on too well with Philosophy!

Also, Psychology at A level isn't massively sciencey. You'll study different areas, and the social side etc should give you a nice break from that kind of stuff. Plus I think psychology would give you a bit of help, perhaps a slightly different perspective, to prepare you for med school, if that's what you go on to do.

Good luck.
Reply 2959
Original post by Daydreamer18
I get what you're saying about stepping away from the science a bit, for pleasure and for giving yourself a more well rounded appearence. That said, I think philosophy is the complete other end of the spectrum. Maybe if you were talking English or History my answer would be different, but I somehow can't imagine someone with the desire to study bio, chem and physics getting on too well with Philosophy!

Also, Psychology at A level isn't massively sciencey. You'll study different areas, and the social side etc should give you a nice break from that kind of stuff. Plus I think psychology would give you a bit of help, perhaps a slightly different perspective, to prepare you for med school, if that's what you go on to do.

Good luck.

I can't believe that you can't get inside your head that some one who takes the sciences also wants to take philophosy. The person should take it because it's more respected and it makes them more rounded and some med schools actually want students to take an essay based subject such as philophosy. Just because you have a grudge against a subject doesn't mean you should give help to other students about that subject.

Latest